The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #26
sumran

Re: First truck need ideas people

Nice truck!

You can make a six go faster but, if you do, it will be because you think its cool, not because it save you money or gas. The six is heavy, inefficient, probably leaks oil but will run a long time and has that old truck vibe. The people that designed it didn't care that much about fuel economy, because their customers didn't care that much about it. It is likely that you have the intergral head which tilts things even more toward the V8.

Within the bounds of what is possible, you can build a SB to your ideal blend of performance and economy. If you do this on an engine stand you can aquire parts as they become available at a good price. You get to drive the truck throughout the build process and the switch could be made on one weekend, once the engine is ready. Or, if you are in a hurry, you could be like most of us and drop unreasonable money in an old truck. It is a losing proposition financially, but you get to grin while you drive around.

You can get incremental improvement on MPG messing with the motor. You can get more from the gearing. The biggest improvements will come from driver behavior. If you add the gas savings from the various bolt-on products and additives, our trucks should run without gas. Sadly, they still won't make 25 MPG unless you have a diesel. If you make the high teens you will be doing well.

Never brake in the learning curve!

1984 GMC Sierra project truck http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446737

Last edited by sumran; 12-12-2011 at 11:03 AM.
sumran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #27
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77chevyinline6 View Post
thanks ill do that, i need as much mpg as i can cause right now im using a tank of gas a week just going to school and back about 10 miles a day
Keep in mind you have the 16 gallon tank, which means you have about 12 gallons usable (from completely full until "oh my God I'm going to run out"). Subjectively, it's going to seem like you are going through a lot of gas because the tank is so small.

Figuring 70 miles per week divided by 12 gallons works out to around 5.8 mpg, which can't possibly be right unless something is really badly wrong.

I would encourage you to actually check your fuel economy and do the math to get some hard numbers; you may be doing better than you thought.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 12-12-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #28
big10ratrod77

awsome truck man!!! I have a stock 250 in my 79 Chevy and they are great engines. As long as the engine doesn’t give any trouble (mine poured oil out the side covers) drive it and enjoy it. my 79 got like 17 mpg when I was driving to college earlier in the year and it was pretty much stock had flowmaster duels and new plugs and rebuilt the carb that’s all I really did to the engine and it was fine till every gasket started leaking oil. So now I am building a 250 with 283 flat top pistons, sbc valves, towing cam, headers and a 4bbl carb, and eventually maybe go to a self tuning EFI system. stick with the 250 its just Different.
77 chevy BIG DOOLEY 454/sm-465/14 bolt 4.10s "fully loaded"
73 plymouth duster 225 slant six/230 3 speed/8 1/4 trying to acheve 300 horse six http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3135091
'77 chevy trucks. built to stay tough.
life is short build a hot rod
big10ratrod77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #29
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

1) Verify odometer accuracy with highway mile markers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumran View Post
Nice truck!

You can make a six go faster but, if you do, it will be because you think its cool, not because it save you money or gas. The six is heavy, inefficient, probably leaks oil but will run a long time and has that old truck vibe. The people that designed it didn't care that much about fuel economy, because their customers didn't care that much about it. It is likely that you have the intergral head which tilts things even more toward the V8.

Within the bounds of what is possible, you can build a SB to your ideal blend of performance and economy. If you do this on an engine stand you can aquire parts as they become available at a good price. You get to drive the truck throughout the build process and the switch could be made on one weekend, once the engine is ready. Or, if you are in a hurry, you could be like most of us and drop unreasonable money in an old truck. It is a losing proposition financially, but you get to grin while you drive around.

You can get incremental improvement on MPG messing with the motor. You can get more from the gearing. The biggest improvements will come from driver behavior. If you add the gas savings from the various bolt-on products and additives, our trucks should run without gas. Sadly, they still won't make 25 MPG unless you have a diesel. If you make the high teens you will be doing well.

If i could expand on the topic, would the toyota 6 copy bring any mpg and power improvements due to using fuel injection systems? supra, landcruiser etc.?
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote