The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
jerimy75

Am I overthinking this???

Problem: I'm an Engineer and tend to overthink things...

Truck is a '71-'72, basic plans are DM, 20s or 22s, 383, 700R4, and two-tone paint with trim.

I've received my PB Mild front and rear kits, McGaughy's 2.5" drop spindles, and Wilwood D52 and D54 brake kits. I have the bed and cab off the frame and am going to be pressure washing the frame and removing the motor and tranny next, then the fun begins. This is my plan, hoping for confirmation, "what the hell are you thinking?", or "you might want to think about this" comments please:

1. Level frame on stands and install front DM, put motor and 700R4 in to set engine/tranny angle;

2. Install rear DM and set pinion angle (directions say it needs to be at ride height to set pinion angle);

3. get brakes and rotors mounted;

4. put body panels back on to confirm and decide on wheel size/BS and start raising bed floor.

Is it an issue that I have to set the pinion angle before I confirm ride height and tire size? I don't want the front wheels tucked too much. My concern is having a decent turning radius, so making sure I have that will dictate ride height and wheel size. I know that I will just be tack welding the rear DM axle pieces in place, so I should be able to adjust a little as needed, right?

I've searched for turning radius with 22's and found a little, but as many have said you have to measure your truck, so that's what I will be doing.

Am I overthinking this?? As always, thank you for any insight!
jerimy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
gale

Re: Am I overthinking this???

You lost me with PB and DM.

The transmission can decide the engine height for you. A torpedo level on the intake manifold can decide the angle. Life will be simpler if you keep the carb level.

The pinion angle should somewhat match the angle established at the transmission. That makes the U-joints work less.
gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
jerimy75

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
You lost me with PB and DM.

The transmission can decide the engine height for you. A torpedo level on the intake manifold can decide the angle. Life will be simpler if you keep the carb level.

The pinion angle should somewhat match the angle established at the transmission. That makes the U-joints work less.
Thanks for responding gale. PB is Porterbuilt and DM is Drop Member, Mild is the model of DM (vs. extreme or touring).

I've researched the engine/tranny and pinion angle and if I remember correctly from a PB post it should be about 2* for both (one down and one up obviously).
Old 07-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Call Nate Porter at Porterbuilt.
He will be happy to talk to you about your concerns.
What other suspension company can you talk to the owner, designer, engineer, and fabricator,... all in one call?

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
What other suspension company can you talk to the owner, designer, engineer, and fabricator,... all in one call?
I'm not quite as readily available as I used to be when it comes to phone calls. But, if you call you will speak to Dave. He is well versed in all our product and if or when he doesn't know, he will come and ask me. If for whatever reason anybody still feels the need to speak to me specifically, dave will take your info and I will call back (typically at the end of the day).

The only thing I would recommend to do differently is wait to permanently set the engine/trans angle and rear diff angle until you have the driveshaft. This will allow you to set it once as there may be some fine tuning involved.

Nate
Posted via Mobile Device

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
jerimy75

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Thanks Keith. Agreed, pretty cool to be able to speak to the guy that has done everything with a product from inception to implementation. I just know they are busy over there so I thought I'd ask here before bothering PB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porterbuilt Street Rods View Post
I'm not quite as readily available as I used to be when it comes to phone calls. But, if you call you will speak to Dave. He is well versed in all our product and if or when he doesn't know, he will come and ask me. If for whatever reason anybody still feels the need to speak to me specifically, dave will take your info and I will call back (typically at the end of the day).

The only thing I would recommend to do differently is wait to permanently set the engine/trans angle and rear diff angle until you have the driveshaft. This will allow you to set it once as there may be some fine tuning involved.

Nate
Posted via Mobile Device
Nate - Thank you for your response. I may end up calling Dave in the coming days. I guess my sticking point is setting the ride height. I think I just need to see some trucks with 20's and 22's at ride height to figure out exactly what I want. In the mean time I can install the front DM, rear notches, and start raising the bed floor until I get the tranny and a set of tires and wheels to be able to fine tune the ride height.

Again, thanks for the input!
Old 07-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerimy75 View Post

Nate - Thank you for your response. I may end up calling Dave in the coming days. I guess my sticking point is setting the ride height. I think I just need to see some trucks with 20's and 22's at ride height to figure out exactly what I want. In the mean time I can install the front DM, rear notches, and start raising the bed floor until I get the tranny and a set of tires and wheels to be able to fine tune the ride height.

Again, thanks for the input!
Sounds like a solid game plan!

Don't hesitate to call... true we don't have a 24 hr tech line, but if you leave a message you will get a call back. And don't be afraid to call more than once if you feel you have been waiting too long for a call back!

Nate

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson