The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2010, 12:48 AM   #426
Ackattack

Re: Ackattack's Pro touring restoration thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puropedo View Post
Great progress! Dont forget to take more pics of your ride and show them to us, I have a few questions...Do you mind telling me how much did the HP tuner software cost you? Also is it pretty user friendly to use? Do you have to buy credits every time you reprogram a different PCM? Thanks in advance.
HPtuner was $500 initially and that included 8 GM credits. I went in with a buddy, so I paid $250 initially. I had used all of my credits before I got to the truck, so I paid $100....then I burnt up that ECM, so I bought another ECM and had to pay another $100.

The program is user friendly, however there is a steep learning curve....and I'm somewhere on it (still learning). I was able to do some worthwhile tuning on my corvette, get the truck up and running, and tweak the transmission shift points for both my silverado and G8. Since I have all GM vehicles its worth it.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:13 AM   #427
Puropedo
Account Suspended

Thanks for intel, I guess its better to send out the PCM for reprograming huh?
Theres a few shops out there who are doing it for around $75, so thats not too bad. ( I wonder how do they make their money charnging $75 if in fact they have to pay $100 for every credit.. )
Puropedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:23 AM   #428
Ackattack

Quote:
Thanks for intel, I guess its better to send out the PCM for reprograming huh?
Theres a few shops out there who are doing it for around $75, so thats not too bad. ( I wonder how do they make their money charnging $75 if in fact they have to pay $100 for every credit.. )
well you can get a "tuner" package that cost more, but it's the way to go if you're doing a lot of them

by having your own program you can make changes to the tune as you make changes to your truck (add a cam, change tires, gears, intake, exhaust, heads, increase power, increase mileage). It also checks the check engine lights if/when you get them. You can also monitor all of the sensors on the engine. Also, if you change torque converters, you'll need to tune for that too (so lots of things )
Old 02-23-2010, 01:36 AM   #429
Puropedo
Account Suspended

Oh, I see now, thanks for the help, it seem you know the ls engines pretty good, I was able to fire up mine a few days ago, it is on an engine stand, every time I fire it up it seems to run ok, but after a while it starts misfiring or running to rich and wants to shut off, any ideas what might be wrong? It has a DBW throttle, the TAC module got crushed so its not hooked to the PCM, do you think that might be it?
Old 02-23-2010, 02:00 AM   #430
Ackattack

Quote:
Oh, I see now, thanks for the help, it seem you know the ls engines pretty good, I was able to fire up mine a few days ago, it is on an engine stand, every time I fire it up it seems to run ok, but after a while it starts misfiring or running to rich and wants to shut off, any ideas what might be wrong? It has a DBW throttle, the TAC module got crushed so its not hooked to the PCM, do you think that might be it?
I've had 4 LS1 cars, 2 5.3L now, and a 6.0L and I've been around them since 2000, so I'm pretty familiar with them.

What exhaust do you have hooked up to it on the engine stand? I'm guessing here, but could outside air be getting to your O2 sensors causing bad readings? Could also be not having the TAC module, but probably not.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:47 AM   #431
Puropedo
Account Suspended

I am not running any exhaust pipes, but I do have the 02's connected to the flanges, Ive seen people on youtube running this engines and reving them without any problems, some even without the o2's, Ive check the fuel pressure and it is good, I guess Im gonna have to wait till I get my TAC replacement and go from there.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:24 AM   #432
Ackattack

Well I got a few things squared away in preparation for getting it aligned and windshield installed.

I adjusted the pass. door so that it would close with the door gasket installed, then I added a little adhesive to the door gasket. I then installed both side windows since it will most likely be raining on friday

I then tightened down the cab mounts, adjusted the hood, and a few other little things.

Then I decided to make some more "visual" progress and installed my NOS grill trim that I've been storing in my office closet since I got the truck. Also installed the chevy bowtie.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:30 AM   #433
menace121978

grill looks sweet Ack

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:49 AM   #434
eagleuh1

Looking sweet.
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:11 AM   #435
mcbassin
Still Learning

Your truck looks great!
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #436
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Looks great.

Thanks a lot, now I'm going to have to do something about my painted headlight buckets.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:30 AM   #437
Ackattack

Today I was supposed to make get some good progress towards getting the truck on the road.....didn't exactly happen that way.

I set up appointments to have the truck aligned at 9:00 this morning, then have the windshield installed at 2:00 in the afternoon. I borrowed a buddy's trailer since its not street legal yet and the alignment was no where close. The alignment was supposed to take an hour.

So I load up the truck early this morning, stop and get gas in the truck (and program the programmable fuel gage since the F-body fuel tank uses a goofy range for the sending unit), and then get to the alignment shop.

I unload the truck and park it out front. One of the mechanics comes out to record the mileage and vin for there records (don't really know why....but whatever). I explain to him that I needed to let out air from the airbags before they get going on it. He starts telling me that there is really no point for them to do the alignment then cause as soon as I air up the bags, it will be different. I then explain to him that that is the reason why I'm setting the airbags to ride height and that it was completely taken apart.

Luckily this guy was not the mechanic doing the alignment. So the mechanic that is doing the alignment comes out to get the truck up on their alignment rack. I watch him like a hawk as he drive my truck into their shop and up onto the rack. (It sounds awesome BTW).

After that I go to the waiting area and start reading some magazines. I thought 1 hr was being pretty optimistic since EVERYTHING needed adjustment.

So finally 2-1/2 hrs go by and the manager tells me that its still going to be awhile. I had a phone interview for a new job, so I needed to get some lunch and take care of that, and I do. So I show back up about 2:00 and they're still not done. I call the windshield install place and cancel that appt. And then wait for about another hour. Then the mechanic comes in and gets me. Apparenlty through the process he stripped one of the upper control arm studs. So I talk to the manager again and its wasn't going to be done by the end of the day, so I should get it back tomorrow, but I sat around ALL DAY for it to be aligned. (I took the day off of work for the interview).

So now my truck is sitting at the shop, hopefully I'll be able to pick it up tomorrow.

I did manage to get it registered and tags are on the way.

I also made up my own SPID. I found a font that looks close, and then did some research on what RPOs to put down. Obviously this truck is custom, so being perfectly original isn't top priority. So here's what I came up with:

The ink smeared a little coming out of the printer and the VIN is a little high (based on looking at other SPIDs this almost makes it look more authentic IMO)

So obviously the engine, transmission, and paint aren't original.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:34 AM   #438
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Delays like this are no surprise to you after building this thing from the ground up I bet.

Where did you get the SPID document to edit? There is a board member that will custom make them, but did you make this up yourself? Are you willing to share that form?
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:29 PM   #439
Ackattack

I just made an excel spread sheet and printed it out myself.

I could email it to who ever
Old 02-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #440
lyrikz
PITbut

Ack, sorry to hear about your alignment issues. We do alignments at my shop, and its like i was there listening to your story. If you were at my shop, i would of just had you leave the truck and call you when its done. Sometimes they take an hour, sometimes they take ALLLOTTTT longer.

They will get it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:47 PM   #441
jgh64pkup
Sunburst C10!!!

im sorry to say this but you misspelled positraction
but it looks really good ad original
Old 03-01-2010, 01:43 AM   #442
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh64pkup View Post
im sorry to say this but you misspelled positraction
but it looks really good ad original
duh!

I also listed "frt chrome bumper" and then "chrome-bumper frt&rr"

since I smudge the ink I'll get another one some day
Old 03-01-2010, 01:50 AM   #443
Ackattack

made a little more progress today

I got the rear tail lights installed. Forgot to get pictures of those, but new lenses sure make them look nice.

Then I got the headlights installed. It wasn't as easy as I expected. The hole for the headlight bucket to set into wasn't right (used a GMC grill) so I had to cut a little on that, then I had to cut a notch out for the turn signal wiring. I went and got some stainless screws to screw in the trim rings. Finally I wired up the ground wires. And they work!

I also installed the front bumper and cigarette lighter. The blinkers aren't working, however the emergency flashers are. Not sure why. When I turn on the turn signal I can hear something on the fuse panel, but no blinking. I don't have the rear taillights hooked up and I know there is a "problem" with LED lights and flashers. I have one LED flasher that came with the head lights. I'm hoping when I get the tailights hooked up it will take care of it's self. We'll see.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:36 AM   #444
menace121978

nice progress buddy! looking sweet

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #445
mcbassin
Still Learning

Looking good! Nice progress! sorry to hear about the alignment fiasco.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #446
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
The blinkers aren't working, however the emergency flashers are. Not sure why. When I turn on the turn signal I can hear something on the fuse panel, but no blinking. I don't have the rear taillights hooked up and I know there is a "problem" with LED lights and flashers. I have one LED flasher that came with the head lights. I'm hoping when I get the tailights hooked up it will take care of it's self. We'll see.
Some vehicles have two flasher modules. One for hazards and one for turn signals. Don't remember if the 67-72 is that way.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #447
Ackattack

yeah, my EZ wiring harness has 2 flasher modules.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:48 PM   #448
nuke1

Ack, The truck is really looking amazing, Love the SPID, Would you mind emailing that to me? As for the alignment, mine took 3 hours to do, and as for the flashers, i installed a ez wiring also, signals worked at first,m but now i AM HAVING PROBLEMS! argh. I believe mine is a ground thou. Keep it up and before long you will be driving it.
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #449
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke1 View Post
Ack, The truck is really looking amazing, Love the SPID, Would you mind emailing that to me? As for the alignment, mine took 3 hours to do, and as for the flashers, i installed a ez wiring also, signals worked at first,m but now i AM HAVING PROBLEMS! argh. I believe mine is a ground thou. Keep it up and before long you will be driving it.

PM me your email address
Old 03-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #450
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Ack - your truck looks killer. I'm really diggin those headlight too. Very nice work.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote