The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2010, 01:32 PM   #26
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Someone tried breaking into my garage.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod 80 View Post
WOW , i must live a sheltered life . I would have never imagined a guy breaking into my garage had a leg to stand on . Well he doesn't in Texas . I guess things are different in that part of the country . I probably would be thought of as a nut case up there . I clean my guns in the driveway on a table and the neighbors don't even think or look twice . Hell we had a guy shoot 2 crooks robbing his neighbors house a while back . No bill . I could not deal with a place that doesn't have some accountability for actions . Down here it is like the crook know they might get shot . Sorry for the off topic semi-rant .
its funny you say that you would be thought of as a nut up here.... I feel exactly like you do and I am considered a gun nut.I also cant tell you how many times ive stopped people on my street that appear suspicious and look like they are going to try to break into a neighbors house yet nobody else seems to hear or see anything; nobody else gives their neighbors the same courtesy. I also have other views that are considered extreme that im sure are normal and ok in Texas, but im of the ilk that you work for a living honestly and keep what you earn/work for . I think i better turn my rant off now too before someone turns this into a political thread which is a no no here Please note others can read whatever they want into my statements but I am in no way making political statements and am done speaking on these matters.

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:27 PM   #27
Benelli
Watchin the rust grow

There really ain't much you can do...

Motion lights, camera, maybe even consider purchasing a firearm?

Thank God I've only had two problems where someone stole a few pieces of firewood before I came running with my Benelli and when someone stole gas, they left a note and 20$ though. I Guess it ain't stealing then lol.
1979 Chevy K10 (H/D Front end) - 350 w/ Holley Truck Avenger, Weinald Intake manifold, headers, bored .060 over, mild cam, Built up TH350 (TranStar Shift kit) with a part-timed NP203 t-case SOLD ($3,000)
1997 Chevy Silverado 1500 - 4.3 vortec, extended cab, 21 highway MPG, stock. "Red" SOLD ($3,000)
1987 Toyota 4wd Pick-up - work in progress, future DD SOLD ($1,850)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 5spd Quad cab - old 12 valve with some work done
2004 Chevy Silverado - Black, 4x4, 5.3L, stock for now

Underneath that rust is a heart of gold

Last edited by Benelli; 02-07-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Benelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #28
Sillyoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastwillie 696969 View Post
so what happens when you come back and theres no shells on the dash is he mile away or several yards away ? j/k som
If the truck was still there the shells have done their job.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #29
andrewmp6

Any window in a garage lets people see what you got i would tint them or something.I have a great dane and clean every gun i own on my front porch.When you own a few assault rifles and some other big guns most won't think about breaking in.Something else get some nra stickers put them on every door and your cars.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:20 PM   #30
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

without the remotes, garages (without windows) are actually very hard to get into without making massive amounts of noise and waking everyone up in a 2 block radius... the only exceptions are garages without a garage door opener then it is fairly easy.
-------------------
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #31
Sillyoldman

Another consideration is if you do have a garage door opener chances are your newer vehicle has a buit in remote too. unless you park it in the garage don't program it. Breaking into your shop is as simple as busting out you car window and pressing a button.

'67 Buick Special 455.

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #32
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyoldman View Post
Another consideration is if you do have a garage door opener chances are your newer vehicle has a buit in remote too. unless you park it in the garage don't program it. Breaking into your shop is as simple as busting out you car window and pressing a button.
I was also wandering about that as well. That sucks that you had some jackass try to get in. It kinda sucks but my buddy used a lil bit of tint on his windows so people have a hard time seeing the inside of it. Had another friend who used some black spray paint and put a light coat on the windows! I would look into an alarm for the garage. Motion sensor lights are nice but a pain cause they always go off when you don't need them too lol. I got a big Rottie with a loud bark and a baseball bat no big problems yet Most everybody up here owns a gun haha so yea! I think you can only use deadly force if you fear for you or your family's safety!
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!

Last edited by Hoods69BadBowTie; 02-07-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:48 PM   #33
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

I have a couple small pinhole security cameras that can be mounted in anything. They are wireless and will be viewed from my pc. They also record any and everything to the harddrive. I am looking to buy a house right now, once I find my house, I will get an ADT system and also mount these cameras around the house. If someone tries their luck I'll have them on disk. I hate a theif as I'm sure evryone here does to. I hope you catch those scumbags.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:51 PM   #34
cableguy0

Not to be a jerk but what happens when someone breaks in your house and they steal your pc along with whatever else? get yourself a dvr and put it in a locked box secured to the wall.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:47 PM   #35
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Not to be a jerk but what happens when someone breaks in your house and they steal your pc along with whatever else? get yourself a dvr and put it in a locked box secured to the wall.
Thats why there will be a hidden room in my house where my system will be. I'm a carpenter by trade with a background in government security (hidden things). Can't say anymore, probably said to much already.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #36
jb1016
"Oh well, it's a driver."

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitmitchell View Post
leave a mostly empty box of clay pigeons by the garage door.. it gives the undeniable message that there's a shotgun in the house....
Along those same lines, even if you don't have a dog, leave a BIG, scuffed up dog food bowl by the back door, with just a few pieces left in the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Petty
I don't know, but I've been told: You never slow down, you never grow old.
jb1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:39 PM   #37
Stitch
Account Suspended

down here, if someone is in your house unwanted, we shoot first ask questions later...period

that's why we have an alarm to scare them off...haven't had to shoot anyone yet...

Last edited by Stitch; 02-07-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:52 PM   #38
dammitmitchell
the pollock

in TX the laws are pretty simple.. you have to feel "threatened" (ive got three women and a lil boy here so yeap... check that box) and you cant shoot them in the back..

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #39
Stitch
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitmitchell View Post
in TX the laws are pretty simple.. you have to feel "threatened" (ive got three women and a lil boy here so yeap... check that box) and you cant shoot them in the back..
x2
Old 02-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #40
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Interesting discussion, to say the least.

I spend a fair amount of time away from home & the one thing that really worries me is; if somebody is able to get into my attached garage, they have nearly immediate access to my house because of the hand tools (things like BFHs), power tools, etc. in the garage.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:38 PM   #41
chevymotocross

Ok guys. I covered the garage door windows by taping paper over them. Temporary, I'll use some tint later. I brought the bike back into the garage, out of my basement, since I can't really keep it there, and chained/locked it to the support pole in the garage. I also put locks on every garage door but then realized if there is a fire and the garage is the only way out.... we would be in lots of trouble soooooo, we are getting an alarm system installed.

We are also going to install pieces of metal at the top center of the garage doors, where they tried prying. This will for one hopefully straighten them back out, and make it pretty hard to pry open to get to the latch.

I plan on getting a pistol permit when I get back from Air Force basic training. If I'm going to learn how to shoot there, I'd like to own one here at home. Of course in the process I will learn all the laws etc, but unfortunately, it seems criminals have more rights than the homeowner when it comes down to shooting. I mean, cops in my area go through lots of trouble when they shoot and kill someone. Then again, a dead man can't talk but still, it's risky.

Here is a great video of how easy it is to get into a garage like mine. I think the only reason the thieves at my house were unsuccessful, was due to being startled by us at home and/or lack of tools.

Last edited by chevymotocross; 02-08-2010 at 09:56 PM.
chevymotocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:55 PM   #42
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Hoe View Post
down here, if someone is in your house unwanted, we shoot first ask questions later...period

that's why we have an alarm to scare them off...haven't had to shoot anyone yet...
Its called castle doctrine. jay

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_..._United_States
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:18 AM   #43
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymotocross View Post
. Then again, a dead man can't talk but still, it's risky.
Sure they can ive seen it lol I watch Forensic Files and CSI NY AND LA!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Port Jimmy View Post
Its called castle doctrine. jay
trust me Conneticut is a LONG LONG way from Texas!!!

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:36 AM   #44
Stitch
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymotocross View Post
Ok guys. I covered the garage door windows by taping paper over them. Temporary, I'll use some tint later. I brought the bike back into the garage, out of my basement, since I can't really keep it there, and chained/locked it to the support pole in the garage. I also put locks on every garage door but then realized if there is a fire and the garage is the only way out.... we would be in lots of trouble soooooo, we are getting an alarm system installed.

We are also going to install pieces of metal at the top center of the garage doors, where they tried prying. This will for one hopefully straighten them back out, and make it pretty hard to pry open to get to the latch.

I plan on getting a pistol permit when I get back from Air Force basic training. If I'm going to learn how to shoot there, I'd like to own one here at home. Of course in the process I will learn all the laws etc, but unfortunately, it seems criminals have more rights than the homeowner when it comes down to shooting. I mean, cops in my area go through lots of trouble when they shoot and kill someone. Then again, a dead man can't talk but still, it's risky.

Here is a great video of how easy it is to get into a garage like mine. I think the only reason the thieves at my house were unsuccessful, was due to being startled by us at home and/or lack of tools. YouTube- Breaking into a Garage
I have carriage doors on my garages and glad for it now that I see that video...wow that's amazing...but the motion detector would still get them...
Old 02-09-2010, 02:41 AM   #45
Stitch
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
trust me Conneticut is a LONG LONG way from Texas!!!
Connecticut has a castle law...check Jay's link
Old 02-09-2010, 09:50 AM   #46
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

The video was informative , Thanks
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #47
Sillyoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod 80 View Post
The video was informative , Thanks
An eye opener as well.

'67 Buick Special 455.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #48
big_al_71

wow I just learned something new by watching that video..

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #49
big mike71

It's a shame that there are so many pieces of crap running around. It's also too bad that they are protected by the law, even if the cops catch them they are out in a day doing the same stuff.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:47 PM   #50
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

Bolt a bar in the door tracks the door's wheels will catch it.......Simple 2x3 square wall will fix any thief from doing anything like the video...He may release it...But its not going up. every shop I have ever worked at had done this...I been doing that for years..Works like a charm
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote