The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
akdg87

turbo task force

This project is my first in depth build, I've been working on it over the past year when time allowing (still in college, renovating a house and working a demanding job where I'm out of town frequently in remote parts of Alaska.

My dad has quite the collection of Task Force trucks, since i was toddler he has been scooping these trucks up, at this time we have around 25 of them. He's fairly big into the NAPCO conversions.

So i picked a truck out from our "fleet", sourced a cameo bed and a 72 C10 frame. We started by setting the bed on the frame, it pretty much bolts right up, and then i pulled the cab and front clip off the donor truck (it was a delivery truck around Fairbanks Alaska for sometime before my dad picked it up).

I knew from the start i wanted go with an ls type motor as i've done a few conversions including my 1993 K1500 blazer, 70 K10, 84 k20 to name a few. But i have a few friends who have gone the forced induction route and i wanted to give a swing at it.

Below is a list of what has gone into this truck:

2004 5.3 engine with "317" heads, upgraded valve springs, push rods, oil pump, head studs, ls6 cam and an ls1 intake. 8.5:1 compression
TH-350 transmission (upgraded internals, 3K converter)
Rack and Pinion steering conversion
2.5" drop spindles and 1" drop springs for the front
4" drop springs in the rear
Modified 72 C10 frame to accept the 56 cab and front clip
Home built turbo kit using flipped truck manifolds (Ceramic Coated)
Home built downpipe into magnaflow 3" muffler and dumping under bed.
70mm T4 turbocharger
Precision 38mm waste gate
50mm BOV
Air to Water intercooler system
18 Gallon Fuel Cell under the bed.
Bosch 044 style inline pump, all summit 8an feed lines. Boost reference FPR, Holley EFI rails and summit 6 an return line.
70's van column, 94 chevy truck bench seat.
Aftermarket gauges, plus AEM wideband and Boost/Vacuum gauge
Rebuilt front end components (ball joints, etc)
Disc conversion for rear axle
CPP firewall mount brake booster.
Cameo bed with all the trim removed, frenched taillight bezels and a 1 piece fiberglass rear bumper.
20" mb racing "old school" wheels. 255/50r20 tires

The plan is to leave the paint in its current state until i get the truck dialed in, then do a satin black paint. I will temporarily match the bed to the existing "patina". The cab is very clean, no panels need to be replaced at all. and very minimal bodywork. Luckily i have a few friends who are good at welding and fabricating which have made this project a lot easier.

The Collection:

Donor truck:

Fabricating Cab Mounts:

Assembled Motor:

Installed:

Post frame painting:

Homebrew Turbo Kit:

Repairing the bed sides:

Bed in primer:

Bed Again:

Currently i am in western Alaska on a job and wont be back until mid next month, but i have been acquiring needed parts and should have quite the puzzle once i'm home. I should have it up and running at some point this winter.
akdg87 is offline   Reply With Quote