The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2020, 10:33 AM   #1
DonP67
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2
67 C10 Longbed to Shortbed Conversion

Hi all,

New to the forum and a long time lurker. I purchased a 67c10 long bed a couple of years ago with the intention of shortening it from a LWB to a SWB truck (LWB will not fit in my garage). I was looking to have this done professionally at a shop and haven't had much luck in the Central Ohio area finding someone to do it.

I did find a shop that agreed to do it and being a little over zealous contracted them to do it last year without doing research on them. No progress has been made on the truck and I'm getting the run around from the owner... Live and learn I guess. My plan now is to get the truck back and explore alternative options, hence coming to the forum and seeing if I can drum up something here?

Any help or shop recommendations would be very much appreciated!

I did try the search function but didn't find much in regards to shops. A ton of threads about DIY which I am open to but would like someone with experience doing it to guide and assist.

Thanks,
Don
DonP67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:19 PM   #2
SCOTI
Registered User
 
SCOTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DALLAS,TX
Posts: 19,524
Re: 67 C10 Longbed to Shortbed Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP67 View Post
Hi all,

New to the forum and a long time lurker. I purchased a 67c10 long bed a couple of years ago with the intention of shortening it from a LWB to a SWB truck (LWB will not fit in my garage). I was looking to have this done professionally at a shop and haven't had much luck in the Central Ohio area finding someone to do it.

I did find a shop that agreed to do it and being a little over zealous contracted them to do it last year without doing research on them. No progress has been made on the truck and I'm getting the run around from the owner... Live and learn I guess. My plan now is to get the truck back and explore alternative options, hence coming to the forum and seeing if I can drum up something here?

Any help or shop recommendations would be very much appreciated!

I did try the search function but didn't find much in regards to shops. A ton of threads about DIY which I am open to but would like someone with experience doing it to guide and assist.

Thanks,
Don
One of the best little shops out there is Boris @ StreetMachinery in Euclid OH
https://streetmachinery.com/
__________________
67SWB-B.B.RetroRod
64SWB-Recycle
89CCDually-Driver/Tow Truck
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides

Building a small, high rpm engine
with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive...
like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol....
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:08 PM   #3
tim_mc
Registered User
 
tim_mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: St Peters, MO
Posts: 219
Re: 67 C10 Longbed to Shortbed Conversion

HotRod Garage did a LWB to SWB in one of their episodes using the Brothers kit. Seeing the video might change your mind on doing it yourself. If you're not a welder, I believe the kit's c-channel will allow you to bolt it up so that you can trailer it to a shop to have the shortened frame welded together.
Welcome from a fellow long time lurker!
__________________
1967 C20, 350 SBC w/roller cam, 700R4, PS, 4-wheel PDB, Old Air AC & Tilt column.
tim_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:16 PM   #4
gmc684x4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Whitehorse yukon
Posts: 832
Re: 67 C10 Longbed to Shortbed Conversion

I would feel comfortable putting my kids in my truck that was cut and welded to make a shorted
I would not feel comfortable with a cut and bolted frame
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:04 PM   #5
hevy_chevy67
Registered User
 
hevy_chevy67's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Blackfalds, Alberta
Posts: 439
Re: 67 C10 Longbed to Shortbed Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc684x4 View Post
I would feel comfortable putting my kids in my truck that was cut and welded to make a shorted
I would not feel comfortable with a cut and bolted frame
The Brothers kit still require welding. The bolt in part just allows you to move it if needed.
__________________
1971 Chevrolet K10 - SWB, 350, 4-speed
1969 Chevrolet C10 - SWB, 350, 700R4
hevy_chevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #6
DonP67
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2
Re: 67 C10 Longbed to Shortbed Conversion

I've looked into the DIY kits a good bit, the brothers one is pretty well documented on YouTube between their channel and a couple of others. Seems like it would be simple enough to have a couple of buddies over and see if we can't figure it out. I'll also look into that Street machine shop SCOTI mentioned. Thanks all!
DonP67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:29 PM   #7
SCOTI
Registered User
 
SCOTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DALLAS,TX
Posts: 19,524
Re: 67 C10 Longbed to Shortbed Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP67 View Post
I've looked into the DIY kits a good bit, the brothers one is pretty well documented on YouTube between their channel and a couple of others. Seems like it would be simple enough to have a couple of buddies over and see if we can't figure it out. I'll also look into that Street machine shop SCOTI mentioned. Thanks all!
Boris is a member here (way2lo2).

They sell: Truck-Arm suspension lowering blocks; budget air-ride kits, & big brake kits.

The shop is known for classic car sales that get the famous "Stop, Drop, & Roll" treatment:
* Big brake kits
* Lowering/Air-ride/Coil-Overs
* Wheels/tires/exhaust
* Late model engine & EFI conversions
* Nip & Tuck LWB to SWB conversions (w/blended patina/OG paint matching if desired).

His paint guy is one of the best patina guys in the business. The exhaust work on their builds is quite impressive as well as the EFI engine swaps.
__________________
67SWB-B.B.RetroRod
64SWB-Recycle
89CCDually-Driver/Tow Truck
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides

Building a small, high rpm engine
with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive...
like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol....

Last edited by SCOTI; 11-21-2020 at 02:36 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:50 PM   #8
BigBird05
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Cheraw
Posts: 378
Re: 67 C10 Longbed to Shortbed Conversion

I just shortened mine. I took the dimensions from the shortening forum and just z chopped the frame. The hardest part was trusting my welding. I also made frame reinforcements to cover the chopped up section. I first bolted the frame reinforcement brackets in before I started welding. I saved the $450.00 that Brothers wants for there kit.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:54 PM   #9
gmc684x4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Whitehorse yukon
Posts: 832
Re: 67 C10 Longbed to Shortbed Conversion

Here is a YouTube of Stacy David cutting down a long box to shortbox 67 72 truck and a thread how to do it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PjlxpF8RL9Q

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=123624
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:15 PM   #10
LockDoc
The Original Thread Killer

 
LockDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montezuma, Iowa
Posts: 21,252
Re: 67 C10 Longbed to Shortbed Conversion

-
I bought this kit pretty much because I wanted to see what the quality was.

https://www.longshotfab.com/products...bed-conversion

I have an extra C10 frame I'm going to try it on. I haven't installed it yet because of other priorities that came up but it looks pretty good. Comes with decent instructions.

LockDoc
__________________
Leon

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:55 PM   #11
tutone
Registered User
 
tutone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: hickory, ky
Posts: 438
Re: 67 C10 Longbed to Shortbed Conversion

I would trust my own work if I was proficient at welding. I don't know your skill level, but if you can read a tape measure and drill a hole, you are 90 percent there. Check out my build thread in my signature, and you can search an earlier thread of mine. I have documented 2 different methods. The last one Stacy David style. His way is easier with the cab off. Good luck to you.
__________________
:My build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=807535
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:17 AM   #12
FRCvette
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: cincy
Posts: 537
Re: 67 C10 Longbed to Shortbed Conversion

I see you are from Ohio as I am too. These guys specialize in shortening down c10's but they are in Knoxville Tn. Rusbuilt Street Rods. At least that is what I read.
__________________
There's something women like about a pick-up man

1967 c10 swb Stepside
2005 SSR
2006 SSR 1 of 21
2013 Silverado swb
FRCvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:51 AM   #13
Peanut74
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Prattville, AL
Posts: 158
Re: 67 C10 Longbed to Shortbed Conversion

I used the Brothers kit to shorten my long bed. Could I have done it by copying David Stanceys method, yes. However, I also wanted to get it right the first time and make sure I had everything covered. IE: Shorten the frame, moving the rear cab mount, etc.

As stated above it is a C-channel that is bolted to your frame. Slots are in the channels to make sure your cuts are good and correct. You will need to get the frame welded but the bolts will hold everything together to get there. Overall I thought it was worth the money to make sure it was done right.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------
1967 C10 "Snowball" (Currently in a bazillion pieces)
1989 Toyota DLX pickup "The Hulk"
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:12 AM   #14
dagnabbitt
Registered User
 
dagnabbitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Posts: 320
Re: 67 C10 Longbed to Shortbed Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I bought this kit pretty much because I wanted to see what the quality was.

https://www.longshotfab.com/products...bed-conversion

I have an extra C10 frame I'm going to try it on. I haven't installed it yet because of other priorities that came up but it looks pretty good. Comes with decent instructions.

LockDoc
That looks really interesting, let us know how it goes when you get around to it!
__________________
Edmonton, Alberta
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:33 AM   #15
LockDoc
The Original Thread Killer

 
LockDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montezuma, Iowa
Posts: 21,252
Re: 67 C10 Longbed to Shortbed Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
That looks really interesting, let us know how it goes when you get around to it!

It may be a while now unless we have more mild weather. I will have to put one of my finished cars outside to have a warm place to work on it.

LockDoc
__________________
Leon

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:54 PM   #16
jsprengeler
Registered User
 
jsprengeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 117
Re: 67 C10 Longbed to Shortbed Conversion

Has anyone had this done by a body shop utilizing one of these kits? If so, what did they charge you? I'm considering this, but I don't have the space, tools, and not comfortable with my abilities to do this right.
__________________
Incapable of not thinking about my truck at least every other minute
jsprengeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:08 PM   #17
SCOTI
Registered User
 
SCOTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DALLAS,TX
Posts: 19,524
Re: 67 C10 Longbed to Shortbed Conversion

I don't know about the 'how much' question but I know of @ least 2 guys here in TX that did a LWB to SWB frame shortening in apartment complex parking lots by hiring local certified mobile welding guys to weld their frames. This was w/o kits like these; these type of kits would only make it easier to ensure proper cuts & alignment.

A corporate body shop chain probably wouldn't do it but a local independent body shop or welding shop would be the better choice. It won't get done on the cheap though. I would expect a minimum of 3hrs time charged @ >$100/hr labor rate (shop space, the experienced guy doing the labor, consumables, validating fit, equipment set-up + their profit margin).
__________________
67SWB-B.B.RetroRod
64SWB-Recycle
89CCDually-Driver/Tow Truck
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides

Building a small, high rpm engine
with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive...
like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol....
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:20 PM   #18
EagleChief
Registered User
 
EagleChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 252
Re: 67 C10 Longbed to Shortbed Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I bought this kit pretty much because I wanted to see what the quality was.

https://www.longshotfab.com/products...bed-conversion

I have an extra C10 frame I'm going to try it on. I haven't installed it yet because of other priorities that came up but it looks pretty good. Comes with decent instructions.

LockDoc
This guy is local to me. I have also "saved" them to use in the future. They'll usually run a "Black Friday" deal - at least in the past, they have. It looks pretty simple, and at half the cost of the Brother's template.

He also is working on a lot of other "projects" that seem to be future offerings. He 3D models suspensions, frames, and several other custom jobs for a few different projects. Makes some racecar stuff too.

I got a quote from a guy in my area to do the conversion. $1900 and about 2 weeks, or so. Shorten the frame, the bed, the driveshaft (and balance), breaklines, wiring, etc. Basically, drop it off, he does it, you drive it home. Didn't seem like a bad deal, to me.
__________________
1971 C10 - Hugger Orange/White

My Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=780197
EagleChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:18 PM   #19
jsprengeler
Registered User
 
jsprengeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 117
Thumbs up Re: 67 C10 Longbed to Shortbed Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleChief View Post
This guy is local to me. I have also "saved" them to use in the future. They'll usually run a "Black Friday" deal - at least in the past, they have. It looks pretty simple, and at half the cost of the Brother's template.

He also is working on a lot of other "projects" that seem to be future offerings. He 3D models suspensions, frames, and several other custom jobs for a few different projects. Makes some racecar stuff too.

I got a quote from a guy in my area to do the conversion. $1900 and about 2 weeks, or so. Shorten the frame, the bed, the driveshaft (and balance), breaklines, wiring, etc. Basically, drop it off, he does it, you drive it home. Didn't seem like a bad deal, to me.
$1900.00 seems like a steel!
__________________
Incapable of not thinking about my truck at least every other minute
jsprengeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:41 PM   #20
Peanut74
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Prattville, AL
Posts: 158
Re: 67 C10 Longbed to Shortbed Conversion

x2
$1900 is a good deal and well worth it. If I had found someone to do it for that price it would have saved me a bunch of money just changing the bed.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------
1967 C10 "Snowball" (Currently in a bazillion pieces)
1989 Toyota DLX pickup "The Hulk"
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2020 67-72chevytrucks.com