The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2014, 11:22 AM   #1
budnikguy

Dropmember Problem...HELP Please

OK, I purchased a bare PB Extreme Dropmember here on the forum to mock up on my 1 ton frame....and to my excitement it lined up nice. So, I then contacted PB and got them to sell me all the other parts I needed for the install as per this being and Extreme dropmember and using a 1 ton frame. They were amazing, getting me the parts and hardware in quick turnaround time. I have begun to put this in my truck and have run into problems with the inner frame truss to dropmember brackets...the drivers side if bolts are secured in the dropmember the furthest front will not even lay flush on the inner truss bracket, and the rear mount comes closer to laying flush but the holes are not near close enough to mount it. If I mount it to the inner truss bracket it is not even close to lining up to the mounting holes on the dropmember.
Here are pics

On to the passenger side, the inner truss to dropmember brackets do lay flush, but if mounted to the dropmember the holes are not near lining up to be able to mount. If mounted to the inner truss the mounting holes on the dropmember are not even close to mounting up.
Here are pics

I have a few thoughts on this..and I am hoping others can chime in with their wisdom

I did the passenger side first, and decided that if I mounted it to the dropmember I could then just weld the mount to the truss being that the holes did not align, but after mocking the driver side, these seems like a moot option as it would not solve the entire problem.
Then thoughts ran through my head that maybe my frame is tweaked a bit, well with cross measuring it seems straight, or straight as a 40+ year old frame was built.
And finally my thoughts went to that maybe I have the INCORRECT truss to dropmember brackets for my 1 ton frame with an extrememe dropmember.

Would be interested in your opinions, thoughts, experiences, and problem solving ideas...Thanks in advance..

Adam
951-544-0721
budnikguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
belowme51

Re: Dropmember Problem...HELP Please

The issue may be that the truss you have is for the newest version of the DM. and you have the v3.2 DM which had a different truss.. I say that because i bought the newest version of the dropmember and wanted to use my v3.2 truss but they did not line up very much like yours so I bought the truss made for the DM i had.
If it turns out that you will need the older version of the truss to fit the v3.2 properly let me know as I still have the frame inserts and truss brackets powdercoated black but they were from a 1/2 ton so im not sure if they will fit the frame rails but if you would want them let me know.
belowme51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:12 PM   #3
Rusbuilt

I'm gonna agree with belowme51, looks like the brackets are for the newest version. Just because... Have you tried swapping sides with your brackets?
Rusbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:22 PM   #4
PBFAB.COM

Budnikguy-

You should have received the inner frame stiffener without the slot cut holes. Then it's a mock it up, mark it, and drill new holes.

We made a small change when we updated the design, and this is causing the fitment problems.

Do me a favor and shoot us a call or an email and we will go over a couple things and get a new set of inner frame supports out to you!

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Nate

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:29 PM   #5
budnikguy

Any chance the "old" version that belowme51has would work for me? If so, that would seem to be the quickest solution...then I can get you Nate.. lmk. Ty

Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porterbuilt Street Rods View Post
Budnikguy-

You should have received the inner frame stiffener without the slot cut holes. Then it's a mock it up, mark it, and drill new holes.

We made a small change when we updated the design, and this is causing the fitment problems.

Do me a favor and shoot us a call or an email and we will go over a couple things and get a new set of inner frame supports out to you!

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Nate
Old 02-10-2014, 05:31 PM   #6
budnikguy

Yes, tried swapping...Did not solve the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusbuilt View Post
I'm gonna agree with belowme51, looks like the brackets are for the newest version. Just because... Have you tried swapping sides with your brackets?
Old 02-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #7
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budnikguy View Post
Any chance the "old" version that belowme51has would work for me? If so, that would seem to be the quickest solution...then I can get you Nate.. lmk. Ty

Adam
Actually, I would make them for you tomorrow and you would see them by the weekend. Not sure if that is slower than the alternative?

Let me know.

Nate

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #8
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budnikguy View Post

Adam
The 73-87 C20/C30 frame is unique. The C10 parts will not cross over.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson