The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2018, 11:31 PM   #101
QBRacing

Re: 1958 SWB C4 Fleetside - NZ Build

Murd969 -
I thought about that as well as the extra pistons look cool but in the end cost outweighed looks as the c6 calipers are so expensive

That said I got in and mounted up the 66-68 Mustang fuel tank today (Tanks Inc MU-HT). It was so easy and looks so cool in there.

Here is Another VIDEO of how I did it exactly.

Q
QBRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:33 PM   #102
murd969

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBRacing View Post
Murd969 -
I thought about that as well as the extra pistons look cool but in the end cost outweighed looks as the c6 calipers are so expensive

That said I got in and mounted up the 66-68 Mustang fuel tank today (Tanks Inc MU-HT). It was so easy and looks so cool in there.

Here is Another VIDEO of how I did it exactly.

Q
They are pricey. Especially after you get the brackets for the front and the custom brackets for the rear from Street Shop in Alabama.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:05 AM   #103
QBRacing

for the rest of this week I'm shop sitting for a mate. that means hoist access and boy does that speed stuff up.

today I got the cab mounted back on the chassis (almost). one of my captive nuts for the rear is missing. Now I just think I'll cut off the cages and use a panel washer and nyloc on it. that's tomorrow's job.

also stripped down both rear hubs and brakes. got the drivers side back together with new hubs , rear shoes, vented and slotted rotors and new pads. then i stripped it all down and painted all the brackets and calipers black. will reassemble tomorrow once paint drys.

on the passenger side i need to make a running repair as the small metal plate for the lower part of the handbrake shoe was broken. no chance of getting another one over here so im getting that welded tomorrow. ive already painted the brackets and calipers for this side so it should be assembly time tomorrow.

fabricated up the front chassis support gusset as I'm calling it. basically a tubular k frame to strengthen the front end after removing the factory cross member. gave that to the welder with the broken brake bracket so should get that back tomorrow too.

mounted the brake pedal intermediate section. no issues there.

drank his piss then come home.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2018, 04:54 PM   #104
QBRacing

just another quick progress update (with pics this time)

C5 Corvette calipers and rotors fitted (1 side at least). mount the other side when the 85 spindle arrives in July...

Completed Flatout Engineering C4 Corvette front end. Also shows the newly made k-frame to strengthen the front end after removing the original x member

C4 Corvette rear end rebuilt. Haven't checked the Dana 44 internals yet but no clunking when manual turning..

66-68 mustang tank installed in the bed. so simple it's a must for anyone going EFI...

Finally im rebuilding the door hinges so I can remount and align them to the cab which is now refitted to the chassis

I have a video which I'll upload later
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2018, 01:00 AM   #105
QBRacing

And a video of course
Old 06-23-2018, 12:01 AM   #106
GreasyLikeaBurger

Where are you planning to put the filler neck at? In the bed, or out the side of the bed?
GreasyLikeaBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:32 AM   #107
QBRacing

I thinking easiest to go up through the bed but once I get a bed I may use a few 90 degree elbows to get it off to the side rather than the middle
Old 06-23-2018, 08:39 PM   #108
slammed57

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBRacing View Post
well that sucks.

my certifier who has to inspect the welds before I can linish and paint the front end is fully booked till the end of April. Grrrr.

todays job was Ito get in and removed the rear leaf hangers and use an orbital wire brush to clean down the rest of the chassis. Then I coated everything I could in por15

dunno what I'm going to do for the next month but I might arrange a media blaster to hit the c4 suspension bits so they are super clean and purdy for when I get to put everything back together. better get in and order the nolathane kits I suppose.

pics of the chassis. top sides and bottom all black...

nice work , over there in new zeland , is it mandatory that the welds have to be inspected by a certifier? Iam just curious
Old 06-23-2018, 10:09 PM   #109
QBRacing

somethings u can get away with but anything suspension or steering needs to be checked. they don't want u to grind anything away then cover it up basically
Old 07-14-2018, 12:50 AM   #110
QBRacing

so did some more on the truck in the last week.

tried to remove the rear wellside panel only to find it was welded in a number of places as well as bolted. ended up just giving it a por15 coat in place and just spraying some rubberized underbody up into the underside of it.

got in and sanded the dash and firewall in prep for some filler... just a skim to help hide the welded in spots.

got in and actually applied the filler.... now for the messy bit..
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2018, 12:59 AM   #111
QBRacing

oh.... and in the last few days I ordered an 88-92 S10 column, 4at, tilt, non intermittent wiper (cruise if possible).

I also hit up "classic parts Murika" and ordered a wiring harness, rear led lights, interior light, brake and clutch gromets, and some other random switches that don't come in the wiring kit.

Rockauto are sending me some new brakes hoses (front and rear) and some handbrake cables

by the time that all arrives I should have primed and painted the inside of the cab so can get it all wired and rolling and stopping under it's own power.....

then to start on the wellside....
Old 07-14-2018, 08:19 PM   #112
Advanced Design

Good to see the progress. How long will it take the ordered parts to arrive?
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:29 AM   #113
58 pache

Really nice progress so far. i'm planning on the C4 suspension myself, As soon as i find the vette parts.
58 pache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:07 PM   #114
QBRacing

You could try and find all the bits yourself or find a wreck to some but I just asked if Don could source it and he did. I would have to check what he charged me now but I did pay a bit more for the dana44 rear
Old 07-22-2018, 08:55 PM   #115
wfojon
Chevy guy

I'm following this thread with a lot of interest. It has given me the courage to start my own.
I'm doing a 57 short bed and I bought a 94 C4 that had the interior burned out but didn't burn through or catch the gas or engine. I paid $800 for the whole car. I'm in Cal too so just check Craigslist and you'll find a bunch of C4's. I have the rear done and next week I'll start on the front. I'm very impressed with the kit from Flatout and this build thread.
Thanks again for the build thread!
Jon
65 C10 long bed fleetside
70 C10 long bed fleetside
74 C30 flatbed
wfojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:00 PM   #116
wfojon
Chevy guy

I'm following this thread with a lot of interest. It has given me the courage to start my own.
I'm doing a 57 short bed and I bought a 94 C4 that had the interior burned out but didn't burn through or catch the gas or engine. I paid $800 for the whole car. I'm in Cal too so just check Craigslist and you'll find a bunch of C4's. I have the rear done and next week I'll start on the front. I'm very impressed with the kit from Flatout and this build thread.
Thanks again for the build thread!
Jon
65 C10 long bed fleetside
70 C10 long bed fleetside
74 C30 flatbed
wfojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:34 PM   #117
QBRacing

wfojon.
I probably should have done the same thing. then stripped the bits I didn't need. problem is it then still would have cost 3500 freight for a whole car rather than a few huny for the suspension. you guys have it so lucky.

ive spent the last 2 weeks trying to find a pair of 2nd hand 18" rims so i can leave the front calipers and rotors on. the one set I found was only 5x120 and had a 65 centre... so close but I really need 5x120.65 with 70mm centre..... keep looking I guess.

Anyone know where I can score a cheap pair of 2nd hand c5 front rims near Lomita CA. nald tyres fine. the next container is loading early August so ild see them in September....
Old 07-27-2018, 04:09 AM   #118
Nut Case

QB

Looking great and moving right along. In the 110 post the photo appears to show the car on the ground. If so would you measure the distance between the bottom of the frame and the ground. Then the measurement of the tire from the ground to the top of the tire, and the distance between the top of the shock mount to the bottom of the shock mount. And the distance between the top of the half shaft and the bottom of the frame rail. And is the half shaft level with the ground.

Wow what a nosy Nelly I am. This not a time sensitive issue, just when you have a chance, don't worry about getting it to me in inches, I'll do the converting your kind enough to do all the work. IFY I going to do a 96 C-4 into a 57 GMC, so I gathering as much field data as possible. Thanks in advance.

Keep on keepin on

Nut Case

Old 07-28-2018, 01:49 AM   #119
QBRacing

Nutcase.
My chassis level is up the sheit atm as I have just fitted 18" BMW 5 series rims on the front to aid with clearing the C5 Calipers. Before you say it yes the BMW is 5x120 stud not 5x120.65 but you try finding 2nd hand C5 corvette rims in NZ and to keep it rolling thats fine by me. Before I hit the road I will have sourced more suitable rims.

With that said, normally with the 15" camaro rims all round the truck was sitting with about 2.5 degree rake but ATM its just under 1 as the front is sitting a bit higher now.

That said hope this image helps.

Please note that in the near future I will be moving the lower shock mount down about 25mm so that I can get more adjustability for the coil over. At present its on its lowest setting and other than a deck there isnt much weight to add.

Q
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2018, 03:58 AM   #120
Nut Case

Thanks

You sure have an uphill battle getting parts and what not in NZ. Strong work

Keep on keepin on

NC
Old 08-30-2018, 05:23 AM   #121
QBRacing

Sorry for the slackness, changed jobs at work and have been super buzy at home too. With the excuses out of the way .....

The other day I masked up and painted the inside of the cab in a matt black finish. Other than a few random dust motes that decided to settle on the top of the dash Im more than happy with the final outcome.

Here is my latest Youtube video to show more

Next week I should get my next shipment of goodies hopefully including my missing front swaybar brackets from Flatout, a wiring harness, misc electrical bits, switches, horns and LED tail lights etc etc. Should also have some heat sheiding and some new C4 steering arms and c4/c5 brake hoses. Fingers crossed the 90 S10 steering column made it to the depot in time and I'll have heaps to work on in the near future

Couple of pics before i go
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2018, 01:27 PM   #122
slammed57

Posted via Mobile Device
slammed57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:27 PM   #123
slammed57

Coming along nice!
Posted via Mobile Device
slammed57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:23 PM   #124
mikebte

Very Nice
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:21 AM   #125
Curt - TN

Do you know what spring rte you are using on the front end?
1957 GMC 100
Curt - TN is offline   Reply With Quote