The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #1
highwinger

Been working on the burb...a lot

I'm not doing a frame off, but I've been doing many various repairs that's keep me busy on my burb. Just thought I download and see what y'all have been up to:

1. Got my first couple experiences into body work fixing some rust areas around the rear drip rails, tail lights, and lower qtr. This includes welding thru repaint.
2. Over the holiday break, I pulled the windshield to fix some rust in attempt to stop it from leaking. Of course, I broke it taking it out by pressing with my thumb instead of my hand. Safelite got me a replacement by the time I was ready to reinstall after the body work and paint. They wouldn't install, but the guy came back after hours to help and what a chore that was. We still didn't get it installed correctly and opted to add some flowable sealant as a band aide. I still to learn to blend the paint areas better and to smooth the body work. With a ~20yo rebuild, I have plenty more spots to become a expert.
3. With the windshield & cowling out, I replaced the antenna and washer nozzles.
4. I added a floor vent to my front air (Old Air Products). That was one downside to aftermarket AC. It will also reduce the air flow to the dash vents which is good IMO. Fairly easy fix. OAP was helpful & quick part delivery.
5. I've had a bunch of wiring done since I've owned the burb. On a rainy day using lights, AC, wipers & radio, I blew a 30A fuse feeding the fuse box. Over the break, I installed an ammeter by the battery to troubleshoot the cause. The front AC was powered via the unfused tabs in the fact fuse box. That adds too much current thru the main wire, so I still need to reroute the AC directly to the battery. I also found the rear AC doesn't turn on the compressor without using the front. Add it to the list.

Since getting these old cars (burb and Camaro), I've realized they're not only vehicles, they're a lifestyle in talking pieces whenever you're out, they're social events like attending car shows, and hobbies in mechanic-ing and now body working.
highwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Been working on the burb...a lot

-
Sounds like you are doing it right. I enjoy working on them and I am out in the shop almost every day. I was in Melbourne and Palm Bay for a week in October, for a wedding. It was at Indian Harbor Beach Recreation Center. We stayed at a beach hotel a couple of miles from there. My Niece lives in Malabar.

Good luck on your project.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:34 AM   #3
highwinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Sounds like you are doing it right. I enjoy working on them and I am out in the shop almost every day. I was in Melbourne and Palm Bay for a week in October, for a wedding. It was at Indian Harbor Beach Recreation Center. We stayed at a beach hotel a couple of miles from there. My Niece lives in Palm Bay.

Good luck on your project.

LockDoc
I'm *trying* to do it right. Hopefully, I will get better quick.
I would have enjoyed meeting you. It was a good time to visit with the weather being pretty nice...tied with the record high yesterday, but dropping 30deg this week.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:06 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
We had a high of 40º Saturday which is warm for us for this time of year. Wednesday we are supposed to have a high temp of 5 below zero with blowing snow.... Not fun.

Next time I am going to be down that way I will PM you to see if you want to meet up for a burger or something.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
highwinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
We had a high of 40º Saturday which is warm for us for this time of year. Wednesday we are supposed to have a high temp of 5 below zero with blowing snow.... Not fun.

Next time I am going to be down that way I will PM you to see if you want to meet up for a burger or something.

LockDoc
That would be great, but leave the negative temps in Iowa please
Old 01-06-2015, 01:05 PM   #6
72MARIO

any pictures of that floor vent ? I noticed there was a spare hole on the ac box.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:46 PM   #7
highwinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MARIO View Post
any pictures of that floor vent ? I noticed there was a spare hole on the ac box.
It's just a Y-duct (OAP P/N 32-33) and 6' of 2" hose (OAP P/N 91-51P). My contact at OAP, Clint, said to mount it with a screw all the way thru. I happened to have a hole in the firewall that when threaded, fit a 1/4-20 bolt. So that's what I used...whatever was handy.

I can get a pic if you still want.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:05 AM   #8
highwinger

Here's a pic
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2015, 12:44 PM   #9
72MARIO

Looks good. That hole looks like where the original heater box was supported to. Floor heat/AC will be nice to have. How so you find the defogger on wet days ?
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:58 PM   #10
highwinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MARIO View Post
Looks good. That hole looks like where the original heater box was supported to. Floor heat/AC will be nice to have. How so you find the defogger on wet days ?
Chilly day here today, so it's the first day I really got to enjoy having the floor vent. It also reduces the air flow in the dash vents, which I like. I think the low van speed was too high IMO.

I fought with the defog, but I think many things were resolved with a higher thermostat. Mine is now 185deg and Clint says he uses 195 in the winter, which would be good I think.

Clint has been very helpful any & every time I have questions or issues to resolve. Keep emailing him. He always responds promptly. I had to ask him another series of questions today. I think my system lost its charge and I want to start diagnostics myself. I'm a DIY'er in training.