The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2020, 11:28 PM   #1
AcampoDave

Thumbs up Noico Red 315 closed cell,foam impressions

So, now that I'm (ahem) "over the hill" I've decided I want a nice quiet ride. You may remember my thread about hoodliner here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=808418 The respectable results I achieved on that deal motivated me to take it up another notch. This time, I purchased Noico Red 315 mil closed cell stick on tiles from Amazon and proceeded to cover my entire floor, firewall, and back wall. I had already done the butyl deadener strips and the jute pad so this was to just be an additional layer.
First let me say the stuff is extremely lightweight and moderately priced. I also found the pre-cut rectangular pieces easy to work with. The adhesive is very strong and once it's stuck it's not able to be peeled off without ruining the piece. It is quite flexible and will form rather well to the contours of the truck. It's also easy to cut with a utility knife but it does dull the blade quickly.
After the floor was covered with the larger pieces, I filled in the gaps with the left over scraps to get full coverage. I was pleased when I was able to return the jute pad and carpeting to more or less their same oringinal spot which only require a slight enlargement of the holes I had previously made for the seat, seatbelts, thresholds etc.
When I took a drive, the difference was easy to notice. The noise from the exhaust, the motor and trans, front tires, etc was much less and I actually found myself unintentionally driving faster because the roar was diminished.
I should add here that my exhaust is already very quiet and I run a semi enclosed air cleaner so I may have started with less noise than the average street rod. Nonetheless, I have to give this product two thumbs up based on its price, quality, and results achieved.

Just figured I'd share that with you guys

Last edited by AcampoDave; 11-09-2020 at 10:25 AM.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:43 AM   #2
PGSigns

Re: Noico Red 315 closed cell,foam impressions

Thanks for the review. I am collecting info for my suburban build. I'll ad this to my list of options.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:44 AM   #3
The Rocknrod

That's a great idea. At 5/16" thick it probably also helps with heat.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:55 AM   #4
MT65

Question Re: Noico Red 315 closed cell,foam impressions

Would you have a couple pictures ? I have used some of the foil lined cell stuff in the past with pretty good results....
MT65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:24 AM   #5
AcampoDave

First one with just the butyl , and then with Noico being applied and the jute pad covering the back half. I did the back half first and laid the jute because my shoes and jeans were hard on the Noico as I was doing the contours of the firewall. (That was the hardest part, as I took it all the way to the dash.) When i got done, I put a new rubber faced firewall pad over it and that fit well too. I opted for the rubber fasteners on that one and they weren't as much of a bear as the hard plastic ones. If I was going to do it again I would start with the firewall and work my way back.
Attached Images

Last edited by AcampoDave; 11-09-2020 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:08 AM   #6
MT65

When you say your shoes were hard on the closed cell stuff , you mean as tearing it, or just making marks?.
MT65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:16 AM   #7
AcampoDave

Both, my shoes are work boots actually, and they tore it a bit. Not too bad, but remember I was thrashing around a good deal sticking that stuff under the dash. After i noticed the scars I had made in the foam, I laid the jute and went and put on some Crocks so I could just kick 'em on and off easily. I only have that jute on the back half because the carpet comes with it bonded to the front half.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 11-09-2020 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:27 AM   #8
AcampoDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
That's a great idea. At 5/16" thick it probably also helps with heat.
They do tout its thermal insulation qualities on their website.