View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #144
Hart_Rod

Re: Project "Shifted"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTBurban View Post
Agreed! I've searched all over the forums and really couldn't find much other than multiple members running into the vibration issues... with no real known solution.
Driveline angles are very complicated. as I'm sure everyone knows. I just wish there was more information or a how to on this subject. I researched and asked questions before I finally bit they bullet and ordered the shaft. I know Nate will help me figure it out an I plan on doing a thread dedicated to this subject once I'm done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusbuilt View Post
Rob that sucks you're having all this trouble!
Such is life, there are way worse problems out there than this, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaird View Post
Rob, could your trans x-member be mounted too high on the frame? It's hard to tell in the picture, but it looks like it is really high on the frame.
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRC View Post
Looks that way to me too....I haven't figured out my driveshaft yet but right now I no my trans x member is lower. I also thought about lowering the engine mounts as well . Time will tell. If Nate thinks engine mounts then I would go that way because you will be able to lower the trans mount to.
Posted via Mobile Device
You are correct, the transmission mount is to high. But that is were is supposed to be based on a max of 5 degree output shaft angle. The problem with lowering just the transmission mount without also lowering the motor, is the angle that it places the tranny output shaft. It currently is set a 5 degrees (probably the max you want). If I lower the the tranny mount to get the drive shafts at the proper angle, it create an 8-9 degree angle on the transmission output shaft. So the only way to fix that is to lower the motor mounts. Clear as mud?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett--G4L View Post
Sucks about the drives haft problem Rob, I'm interested in how you went about measuring for it. Did you go with the 3" for more horsepower potential.
Posted via Mobile Device
Honestly, I never really thought about the diameter of the drive shaft. I took it to the drive line shop and explained to him what I was doing and told him the motor/tranny combo that it was going to be connected to and this is what he built. I did a lot of research and asked a lot of questions but the diameter of the shaft was never mention as an issue. If the diameter were smaller, it would allow me to raise the carrier bearing up more, but as it sits, I already have it raised up 2.5-3 inches. I'm not sure I would want to any higher even if I could.

On a better note, the 68 S/C truck is coming together nicely so far.....
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote