View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #3
theastronaut

Re: 66 C10 interior color

'66 would have been Fawn Poly with Dark Fawn on the dash. The dash paint had a "ruffing agent" added for a slight texture.

Here is the Fawn Poly color. '03 Nissan Sunlit Sand, code "EVO" matches it well.

'66 only Dark Fawn for the dash. This is an unfaded area from inside my original glove box.

Here is a post I found about replicating the '66 texture without using a textured paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyertim
i'll try to describe what i did.

the first 2-3 coats are shot as usual. what i want to do is cover the surface/primer with a solid base of color. depending on your paint, i waited 5-10 minutes of flash time as usual. the distance from the surface is about 8-12 inches as usual.

the paint is single stage enamel. basf uno-hd.

i'm using an iwata supernova...not that it matters. but, it's able to spray a finer mist over the devilbiss and the binks bbr that i have. also, i usually shoot high psi with it...even though it's a hvlp gun. my old man was a painter and that's how he taught me...lol.

so...the first few coverage coats were shot at 50-60 psi. the reason i mention this is that after the first few coats, i dropped the air pressure to about 10 psi. also, i adjusted the paint flow to where it just lets a little bit of paint out of it.

understand?

what you are looking for is a fine mist of paint similar to the water mist that is applied to the fresh veggies at the supermarket.

practice a bit...it's not hard.

anywho...after the first few coverage coats, i then hold the gun about 18-24 inches away from the surface. then i mist the paint at the 10 psi and the paint flow adjusted down...just like the water and vegetable example.

don't be tempted to add more paint. you should be able to see the texture after the first mist. let it tack up 5-10 minutes (again, depending on your paint). hit it again with a fine mist. repeat until you are happy with the result.

usually, 2-3 mist coats works for me.

hopefully, you have a lot of light while you're spraying. that should help with seeing your progress.

again, practice on something. play around with different psi settings and paint flow. i find with even lower psi settings, the paint "blobs" are larger.

if you allow too much paint to flow out of the gun, the "blobs" of paint start to settle down and even out. also, if you get too much paint on the surface, the "blobs" will flow into each other and flatten out.

hope this helps!

tim

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote