View Single Post
Old 01-20-2016, 04:27 PM   #209
theastronaut

Re: 1940 Packard 120 Convertible Restoration

Been awhile since I updated this. Pretty much everything I've been doing lately is a copy of the other side so it was fairly boring/repetative. I didn't keep up with documenting this side as well as I did the first side since it's basically the same thing.

With most all of the new panel fabrication finished, I pulled everything back out to wash with PPG DX579 and DX520. This cleans any light surface/fingerprint rust off from handling the parts while their bare metal and preps them for epoxy. Forgot to get an after pic, this is before washing. The smaller parts were blasted before epoxy.

The center seam will be butt-welded down the length so it will apear as one piece. To butt-weld a seal like this it'll need to be plannished like I did the quarter panel seam to eliminate any distortion. I can't reach both sides so I'll need someone to hold the dolly on the other side. I marked both sides with the same layout so we can both stay in the same place.

I've started welding in the floors and inner rocker, same process as the other side.

theastronaut is online now   Reply With Quote