View Single Post
Old 06-01-2021, 07:42 PM   #213
theastronaut

Re: '88 F*rd Festiva Autocross/Track/Daily Driver Build

Nothing too major to report, still working on detailing the new '91 in my spare time. Made the trip to Ohio in it to hang out with Festiva friends a couple weeks ago and it made the 1k mile trip with no issues.

The paint was surprisingly clean, very little contaminates came off with a clay bar. I used Jescar Correcting Compound with a wool pad which brought back the color and shine. I'll work my way around all the panels, then finish with a foam pad and swirl remover when I have more time.

I blasted and painted a set of stock wheels for it, and mounted new tires before the trip.

The fender was repainted at some point, I'll have to redo it so it matches better.

Packed for the trip. It got 39 mpg on the first tank, and 37 on the second. I stopped in Johnson City TN for lunch and was stuck in a drive through when a hail storm hit... nothing I could do except sit there and listen to the chunks hit the roof and hood. Thankfully they were small and no damage was done, but that was definitely the most stressful drive through visit ever. I got an email confirming where I added full coverage only about 30 minutes before I stopped for lunch... that would've been a fun phone call to make had there been any damage

A few guys brought rusted out beaters to the meet and thrashed them around Tommy's makeshift back yard dirt track. The guy that cast the intake manifold was there with his test car (the silver one). Got to drive it, and the added power and throttle response on a stock engine was really incredible, and it was keeping up with the 88hp 1.6 sohc swapped cars on the straights. I'm pretty hopeful that my 1.3 build will break 100hp after seeing how well an otherwise stock (63hp) engine ran with just the carbs thrown on and no tuning done yet.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote