View Single Post
Old 02-26-2022, 01:13 AM   #183
theastronaut

Re: '65 Chevy C10 Long Fleet Retrospective Build Thread

I pulled the heater box, stripped and repainted it, and assembled it with a new heater core. I replaced the heater hoses as well since they were halfway off already. The overflow fitting on the radiator had loosened up so I had it brazed in place and repainted it as well. For good measure I flushed the cooling system and filled it with fresh 50/50 antifreeze mix. The gas tank was drained, the inline filter under the cab was changed for a new one, and the fuel hose was replaced.

The exhaust manifold needed touching up with Calyx, and the alternator housing had lightly oxidized so I cleaned it up with a stainless bristle brush by hand.

I shot some videos of the tire truing process but got carried away with the actual shaving and didn't get vids of that, it's fairly involved and I forgot to set up a tripod so I'd have both hands free. The tires start out with a flat spot from sitting, the warmer works out the flat spot, then shaving can begin. The tire in the vid had around .040" overall runout at the start, not counting the flat spot. Tape was stretched over the tread so the dial indicator has a smooth/continuous surface to measure from. After shaving the tire has around .005" runout. On the test drive after truing all four the difference was very noticable; no shakes, wobbles, or vibrations- just smooth rolling.

I did a practice run on a junk tire first and found that the depth feed screw had a ton of play in it, and I couldn't achieve a steady depth of cut. The split brass nut was adjustable to take out the slack when the threads wear but the threads were worn paper thin and had split in a few places. I bored out the original block and made a threaded insert along with a new nut to adjust out play in the future.

My truer can be adjusted to match the profile across the tread and comes with a set of gauges to make it easy to set up.

This was the pile of shavings from the practice tire and four tires for the C10. It looks like a lot but they're so thin that it looks like more than is actually taken off. The videos I linked below shows how little is taken off vs how big the shavings look.

A couple of vids that show the truing process better than what I captured.

Last edited by theastronaut; 02-26-2022 at 01:40 AM.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote