View Single Post
Old 03-30-2022, 10:31 AM   #7
theastronaut

Re: 1966 F100 Short Bed Styleside Metal/Body/Paint Work

I appreciate the comments!

Getting the doors and hood in alignment meant I could work on making the bottom of the hood fall in line with the body line that goes through door. I used string to pull a reference line to see where to trim the hood.

With the string set, I clamped a straight edge in place and used a scribe to mark the upper edge as a reference that wouldn't be changed so I could move the string out of the way.

This is how much the back edge needed to be moved up.

Relief cut.

Bottom edge pulled up and tacked in place.

Double checking with string. The passenger side was checked and found to be in good alignment. With this set on both sides the cowl sections can be finished to match.

The header panel fit was really bad, the gap was really inconsistent and the inner flanges where the header bolts to the fender needed reworking.

The inner flange was made at a 45* angle, which looked strange with the two panels bolted together.

Lumpy flange. I straightened this so the two panels could be bolted together with consistent gaps after being disassembled for paint.

45* flange hammered so the section visible through the gap is at 90*, and beginning to make relief cuts to straighten the edge.

Making the edges flush.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote