View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 05:38 PM   #144
theastronaut

Re: Project Goldilocks, '66 C10 SWB BBW Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
i got the same c-notch as you and was thinking of welding it in and double brace it, with one in the middle and one on the outside out of 1/4" plate, i think that would work! i'm still waiting to be able to tow with it too!! one thing about having a project is plans change often, lol!!
That's the same thing I've got in mind for my C notches.

We had a stock '65 with a 230/250 I6 in the shop today for a new windshield so I took some pics for reference.

There's not much room to drop the engine like I had hoped to be able to since the steering linkage is in the way. I wanted to notch the crossmember a few inches, but I'd also have to come up with a dropped center steering cross bar. I had planned on using No Limit's rack and pinion kit later on, but I'm not sure it would work with a notched crossmember/dropped engine. The only other option would be to notch the oil pan, but I don't think there's much clearance to be gained there. So dropping the engine may get scratched off the "to do" list. I guess this works for other guys that have shorter V8's.

There's also not much room to move the engine rearward without moving the engine down. Maybe an inch at the most without reworking the firewall- which for sure isn't gunna happen. Hopefully the T56 will clear the floor (low hump) without dropping the engine. The dropped center steering linkage is doable if I have to though.

I picked up the bed support rails and a few parts from the powdercoaters this week and ordered the steel for the X member and frame bracing, which should be here mid next week. I decided to go with 1"x2" 14g rectangle tube. I'm thinking that most all the load on the tubing will be a compression load (trying the make the tubing shorter) so thicker .125" wall tube wouldn't really be that helpful, and weigh more.

And lastly, Danbury Mint now makes a 1:24 scale model of my truck! It's a short/fleet BBW with Saddle Poly two tone! I may have to pick one of these up as a Christmas gift to myself! Thanks to sigshooter for sending me the info on these!

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote