View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #60
theastronaut

Re: '55 International Metal/Body/Paint Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun1162 View Post
That is some amazing bodywork... Top notch work. Good to see an old Cornbinder being saved.
Thanks, I'm glad it's being saved as well. I've always thought that eventually there's not going to be a thing of "its too far gone to save", and I think with projects like these, that's starting to come true. Even though they're rough and need a ton of work, they're not going to be around in the future if we don't start restoring the rough ones too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
I don't say this much but i would let you work on my stuff anytime.
Thank you, that's a very nice thing to say! I live in SC and send my VW engine machine work of to SoCal so it's done right. Theres "VW machine shops" around here but... they leave alot to be desired. I know where you're coming from with that comment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Campo View Post
Read your whole thread as well as all of your others in the past. Love them all! What i was wondering is you used Spies SS on the blue truck and it turned out amazing. What made you jump over to the Omni on this one? And you are doing BC/CC on this one correct?
Thanks El Campo! I did end up spraying Spies 8000 series clear over the blue SS. That was the very first all over job I'd done (just panels in tech before that) so I didn't have much spraying experience and the SS didn't come out as slick as I wanted it to, so we scuffed and cleared it.

For the International, it's BC/CC- Omni base and PPG 2021 clear. I though it would be ok to use Omni since I'd be spraying over red tinted surfacer/sealer and would cover good. It sprays and lays out fine, just took a little more base than I thought it would to cover. I've sprayed PPG base on a Jeep and loved it, so I shoulda stuck with that. The Omni is decent with a color matched substrate, but I'll stick with all PPG from now on.

I made the switch from Spies to PPG after spraying PPG base and 2021 clear with a matting agent on a Jeep and LOVED it. I don't have any pics of the Jeep, but the clear came out killer for a satin job- no cutting/buffing possible so you're stuck with whatever comes out of the gun. Thankfully the 2021 layed out like glass with no runs or trash, then dried to a very even satin finish. I'll take some pics of it this weekend and post them.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote