View Single Post
Old 02-21-2017, 10:48 PM   #38
theastronaut

Re: 1963 VW Convertible Build

The front fenders are 64-66 style with the turn signals mounted farther back. I made a template from a spare earlier fender so I could move the signals to the correct location.

The passenger side of the front apron had some old repairs that had failed so I stripped it, cut out the section between the bumper slots, welded in a new piece, then straightened it, skimmed it, and shot a couple coats of primer.

The passenger fender needed some reworking to look more like the original German driver side fender. First thing was to reshape the too-round inside lip of the fender into a more square shape to look more like the original fender. On both fenders I folded the inside edge a little tighter than stock to give the tire a little more clearance and a smooth edge to rub up against, both fenders were done this way. I'm planning on running 195/50-15's up front which are much wider than the typical 135 or 145 tires that most guys run. Even with the narrowed beam I'll need all the room I can get.

Another area I reworked was the shape on the outside of the headlight bucket. It wasn't stamped as deeply as an original fender so I used a hollow dolly and a convex-faced hammer to stretch the area deeper.

I also brought the engine to the shop so I could start the teardown.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote