View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 03:23 PM   #4
theastronaut

Re: 1963 VW Convertible Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
Congratulations on finding that red convertible body in that beautiful condition. I'm glad you got it as I know it will be restored to better than new condition. I hope you will post some pics as you work on it.

What is it about Volkswagens that makes you want to get one and "fix it up"? I had a light blue 70 and a maroon 69 and they are really primitive vehicles yet seeing that 63 convertible body made me want another one.

Just day dreaming, but I wonder if a later chassis, 68 and newer, would fit that 63 convertible body. I don't like the ones where the rear wheels roll under and that was changed with the 67(?) models.
Mom and Dad had a red '68 vert when I was a kid so I think that's what started it all for me. I was super excited to find the red body, it needs almost nothing to be perfect.

A later pan with the IRS style double pivot rear suspension will fit under an early body but I'm wanting to keep this one matching numbers. The early swingaxle suspension isn't an issue if it's set up properly to keep the camber change under control. I'm eventually going to set up my '64 sunroof for autocross, and I'll use progressive rate bump stops, limiting straps, and sway bars to keep it under control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
My first car was a 70, dark blue. I drove the beejeebus out of that thing and it kept asking for more. Would like to get one again, there's something about their spartan functionality that's cool.
My first was a '66 sedan, never got it finished though so my "real" first car was a matching numbers/original paint '64 sunroof. I put about 80k miles on it before I ever bought a second car, so it was a true daily driver and was super reliable even with me beating on it constantly. I had put in a dual carb'd 1679cc engine that made about 90 hp so it was fun to cruise around picking on the import kids in their ricers.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote