View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #95
theastronaut

Re: '55 International Metal/Body/Paint Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
Amazing work, John. Most people don't have a clue at the effort and time that it takes to get a body to that level. That International looks especially daunting because you don't have the luxury of a separate, floating grill or chrome pieces that you can hide mismatches underneath. That whole front group is out in the open, with miles of panel gaps to address.

A Master at work...............love this thread!
Thanks Alex, you're exactly right about most people not knowing what goes into it! They hear "10k" or "20k" paint job and it blows their minds, but to do it right from the ground up it really does take that much labor to get one painted these days. The gaps were surprisingly good on the truck, apart from the doors and the back edge of the hood. The rest of the gaps/alignment on the front clip was very acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Campo View Post
It is all looking REAAALLLY good, astro. You have some valuable tips in here for us too that will be useful to many of us in the future. Did you get the homemade lizardskin the way that you wanted it eventually? Also what gun are you shooting the Slick Sand through?
Hmmm you are 920 miles from here, you want another job? Haha
Thanks alot El Campo! The stuff I mixed up and posted in the body/paint section (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=511370) is working great; it works for sound dampening but I think with the ceramic air beads it's more suited for use as heat insulation. I still want to try mixing the beads in with Kool Seal since it's a softer coating and should dampen noise better. Lizard Skin makes two different coatings, one for heat and one for sound, so I'm guessing that I'm not too far off from what they're making. I'm using a Sata KLC RP with a 2.5 tip, and thinning the SS 10% with fast urethane reducer. It lays out pretty smooth that way, though not as smooth as urethane high build. What you got to bring over?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean jendro View Post
That's really looking great, John. Are you going to have it done before the snow starts to fly?
I'm hoping to, though it rarely snows here so that gives me a bit more time... I'm not good at setting and making deadlines; they always run over. I've still got to spray/cut/buff the front clip but it's all ready to spray, just waiting on a dry day to paint them. The cab (already picked up) and doors are done and ready to be bolted up. I still have the whole bed and rear fenders to do though, and I'll probably be making bedsides and the header panel from scratch.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote