View Single Post
Old 06-13-2022, 12:32 PM   #120
theastronaut

Re: 1963 VW Convertible Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Never knew vw had their own tires...that's cool
They're from Diamondback, they're just normal radials that they shave, add a whitewall to, and stamp the logo in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
I went through this build again. It's even better the second time. I know I said it before, but I really like your attention to detail. Just a cool mix of old and new and sometimes making new look old, etc. That supercharger is fantastic. I have a couple of questions. Please understand, questions not challenges. When you did your touch up on the body, I noticed that you taped off a hard line for your priming, etc. I didn't see that showing when you did your paint work, so how did you get rid of that ridge at the edge of the primer? Also, is what you used to knock down the sheen in the clear coat a standard type of product? I want to use that approach for a couple of things I'm working on. Thanks.
The tape is rolled back to create a softer edge, and I try to not spray as heavy near the tape. Then I use a thin and flexible plexiglass block to cut down any primer edges. The hard face of the block really helps to level an primer edges/high spots/texture. Normally I wouldn't tape off areas that small, it makes for more work knocking the edges down flat with the surrounding paint but I wanted to keep as much of the old paint as possible.

The flattening agent was from Southern Polyurethanes and can be mixed in with clear or single stage to adjust how flat or glossy you want the finish to be. This was around 7%. They've discontinued it but PPG sells a similar product that works the same way.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote