View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 02:52 PM   #5
Hart_Rod

Re: Dear LS friends, I need your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Well, I can say Bryan tried, hard, and told me to call and let him know. He said if it was off a tooth it'd throw a code. Mechanically, it'll spin to 6k. Don't know about any relearn procedure. Don't know what cam sensor they put in. I know I went from a single bolt to a three bolt cam, but used a factory gear from a GM bag. No VVT. Calling Tooley today.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...m-changes.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_62 View Post
The Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor sends pulses to the PCM as the reluctor wheel teeth rotate past the CKP sensor. The PCM uses the CKP pulses to synchronize the ignition and fuel injector operation, and to time the interval between each CKP pulse. The PCM determines when an excessive change in crankshaft speed occurs by comparing each new time interval with the previous interval. A misfire causes an unexpected change in the crankshaft speed. A certain amount of acceleration/deceleration is expected between each firing stroke, but if the crankshaft speed changes more than an expected amount, the PCM interprets this as a misfire. The interval between CKP sensor pulses is extremely small. At high engine speeds, slight variations in the following components make misfire detection difficult:

Crankshaft
Reluctor wheel
CKP sensor
The PCM learns variations during the Crankshaft Position System Variation Learning Procedure. The PCM compensates for these variations when performing detect misfire calculations. Only a scan tool can command the PCM to perform the Crankshaft Position System Variation Learning Procedure again.
Perform the learning procedure after the following actions:

A PCM replacement
Any operation or repair involving the crankshaft, the CKP sensor, or the CKP sensor to reluctor wheel gap relationship.
An engine replacement.
The ignition switch is in the ON position until the battery is drained.

FWIW, this is lifted directly from the GM service manual. I was under the impression that EFILive could do a CASE relearn as well? Hopefully someone familiar with Live can chime in and verify.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote