View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 11:51 AM   #6
theastronaut

Re: Head light upgrade Dapper "575's" with LED's

I had Dapper Lighting's 7" V2 HID's in my Miata. Had to send them back due to a problem with the high/low shutter not functioning properly (happened within a week of installing them) and I decided to not have them send another set to replace them. My biggest issue with them was the beam pattern was worse than my 30 year old Cibie H4 headlights, so I couldn't see as far or as wide. The beam pattern was so narrow it was almost scary, only about 90* wide.

They're not actually HID projectors, they're H1 halogen projectors with HID kits in them, which is part of the reason the pattern is so bad. They instruct you to bend the bulb mounting bracket to "focus" the headlight's hot spot to the center of the beam pattern- the quality control of the Chinese parts is so loose that the beam pattern isn't repeatable from one headlight to the next.

Of course, comparing them to sealed beams they'll be "brighter", but that doesn't really mean the light is distributed where it needs to go to be able to actually see better (pics below show that).

For the price, you can buy Cibie H4's which will be better for actually seeing where you're going, or if you want more modern looking headlights then JW Speaker or TruckLite LED's would be way better than Dapper's attempt at a HID headlight. The Dapper's are ok if you want to look trendy and don't have to drive much at night.

Dapper's HID's. Very narrow pattern, too much foreground lighting, and not enough light out at the cut-off. These were their better/newer Version 2 lights.

Cibie H4's with a relay harness and Phillips X-treme vision bulbs (standard wattage). Much wider pattern, evenly lit from the bumper out to the cut-off.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote