View Single Post
Old 11-05-2016, 01:06 PM   #32
theastronaut

Re: Window felt weatherstrip (beltline weatherstrip)

We own a glass shop that specializes in older cars/trucks. A lot of times we make our own inner/outer wipes if we can't get the right parts. We also don't always use the supplied clips, but instead take them off and use #4 screws, 3/8" long with a countersunk head. We position the felt, clamp it in place, and drill a 5/64" pilot hole. The screw heads bury deep enough into the felt that you don't have to worry about the head of the screw scratching or breaking the glass. This lets you position the felt where you want it instead of relying on the clips to locate it. I just did this with my '66 C10 and it worked great; it actually pulls the felt tighter against the door so that there's more room for the bottom channel to fit between the felt and the glass is easier to roll up all the way. The channel fitting between the felt is normal on these trucks, but the felt has to be tight against the door and can't be to thick or else the channel won't fit. The holes that the clips fit into are usually messed up on these trucks as the bottom edge around the hole is really flimsy, so screws are usually a better way of fastening them.

I might be able to get the owner here to make a small batch of properly fitting inner/outer wipes within the next few weeks. They have a stainless bead that won't fade over time and we have jigs to properly shape them. We can also supply the correct screws if you prefer to use screws instead of clips.

Link to the screws we use:

http://www.dixied.com/product3979.html
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote