View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #93
theastronaut

Re: '65 Chevy C10 Long Fleet Retrospective Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspowered67C10 View Post
Came to this thread via your post regarding panel gaps. Ive got a couple of questions for you if you don't mind.

First off, I noticed you sprayed clear over single stage, whats you're reasoning for using single stage as a base rather than regular 2 stage base? Also, did you color sand the base before you shot the clear?
We originally planned on using single stage but after spraying it I wasn't completely happy with how it turned out, so we shot a few coats of clear over it so we'd have enough material to wetsand and buff. We didn't wetsand the single stage, just scuffed it with a grey 3M scotch pad.

Quote:
Secondly, looking back on this thread I found you used 507 light blue as a color and in the panel gap thread you said it came out a bit darker. Was it darker because you didn't like the original color and intentionally had it darkened or was it just because that's the way it ended up spraying out(maybe because of the tinted sealer?)
It came out unintentionally darker, I took the original paint code by our local Finishmaster and they cross referenced it to a "match" using Spies Hecker Series 257 single stage. It didn't look very far off on a small color chip but I should have got them to tint it lighter. I didn't have any original paint to match it to either. The tinted sealer was nearly the same color as the paint so it wouldn't change the color any. It did help the paint to cover better.

Quote:
Finally, after you shoot you're sealer do you immediately shot color coat while the sealer is still in its re-coat window or do you let the sealer cure and then sand it before shooting top coat?

Yes, the single stage was shot after letting the tinted sealer flash. I wouldn't do that again though, as it shot out fairly "dry" and I had some dusty overspray that I had to nib off of the horizontal areas before I could spray the single stage. I've switched to using PPG products now, and will be using their K93 translucent/tintable surfacer/sealer for the final sealer, and will be wetsanded before spraying the top coat.

Quote:
Sorry for all the questions but I'm about to spray color coat on my 67 and I really like that color and I admire you're work. Very detail oriented build, nice work.
I do like color now that it's done, and I'm not sure I'd go back and change it if I could to the original lighter color. I'll find out the paint code for you and post it once I find it. Thanks for the compliments also!

Quote:
Originally Posted by narx66gmc View Post
Wow is all I can say. The amount of work u did to this truck deserves a standing ovation. If the owners were to sell it, I would hope it Would sell to a collector that cd understand the level of perfection u achieved.

Again, great job and u will do great in business.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks alot! I'd love to be able to buy the truck back, but I've got too much money tied up in my '66 project. I do hope they are able to keep it!
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote