View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #55
theastronaut

Re: Color sand all panels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
I mask it out and *lightly* spray over-reduced black basecoat on the panel, and then take a rag wetted with reducer and rub the guidecoat down into the scratches. You want it to be very thin so it doesn't clog the sandpaper. You can also just pour the basecoat mix on your towel and rub it on the panel, keeping it wet with thinner. It's harder to get it as even and thin that way but it works good for smaller panels.

I need to clarify this. **Don't** wipe on the reducer/basecoat guidecoat on fresh paint that hasn't fully cured! It will look fine right after you buff it but the reducer will affect the clear and you'll have marks/lines in the clear raise up after it sits a few days. This is only for fully cured paint, not something less than a few months old! I should have mentioned this to begin with, don't want anyone to have problems with this technique on fresh paint!

To avoid that on fresh paint, I'm using ground up compressed charcoal sticks from Hobby Lobby (art/crafts store) wiped on with a foam buffing pad for guidecoat. It works like 3M dry guide coat but cost just a few dollars to make. Stays on even when wet until you sand it off.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote