View Single Post
Old 03-30-2017, 10:31 PM   #24
theastronaut

Re: '88 F*rd Festiva Autocross/Track/Daily Driver Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69gmcc10 View Post
I love the look of the side mount carbs and the velocity stacks on them! Out of curiosity, why are you going away for fuel injected and why didn't you use the turbo from the XR2? Is it because of the antiquated computer setup without many if any tuning options?

I always thought if I got another 323 (or maybe now a festiva) I would go find a b6t like in that XR2 or the 323 GT and re-pin the harness to run on a haltec computer system so I could tune it.
I ran dual Dellorto carbs on my '64 VW for years so I'm familiar with setting them up. On the VW I picked up 12 mpg highway (24 to 36.25) on a completely stock 1600 by adding dual 36mm Dellorto DRLA's, a header, ratio rockers, and a lightened flywheel. I will be running CB Performance's Black Box to handle the ignition so I expect better mileage out of the Festiva since I can control the timing better, and it'll have better gearing than the VW. Another reason is I want the instant throttle response for autocross that a turbo car just doesn't have. And the intake noise when using an individual runner intake and carbs or itb's is addictive! I'm not looking to make a ton of power with this engine, it'll be pretty much stock except for mild cams to complement the intake, and I'll add a header.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote