The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2009, 08:43 AM   #1
ebfabman

Late model updates and upgrades...

Ok trying this again. If you had access to parts from most any late model (25 years old to present) vehicle, everything but the engine, what would you like to do to your truck in the way of "modern" upgrades? Even if it took some fabrication to do. These would be mods that would make your truck more driver friendly, economical, more comfortable, etc. What would you do if you could do anything you wanted?
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
VanceH
Loving the Jimmster

Re: Late model updates and upgrades...

I would have to say nothing!!! There is a reason that i drive my 67 and 72, I for one am not a fan of beer can made cars and trucks with all the electric crap that breaks after three years
VanceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
ebfabman

yeah, but I for one would like to get the fuel mileage that the late model trucks get.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:07 AM   #4
VanceH
Loving the Jimmster

I look at it this way, most guys i know who drive a newer truck that gets about 18 miles to the gallon, pay a monthly payment of about 400-500 bucks, My 72 gets about 14 miles to the gallon and with the money i save with no payment i have enough gas money to go were ever i like!!LOL
Old 09-24-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Cruise control, keyless entry/power locks, brighter headlights, sound deadening, 5 or 6 speed tranny either auto or manual, fuel injection, rear disk brakes, 67-68 hood for 69-72 grill, extended or crew cab that looks good. Most of the extended cabs I've seen here look ok, but the side windows just don't look right on some of them. The crew cabs look good, as long as the rear doors are not full truck doors, but they are a ton of work to make from suburban parts.

Some of my list is available now, I know.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
ebfabman

Ok, but if you drive your truck daily and use it long enough, the extra money you're paying in fuel could pay for a newer truck or a sizable part of one in cash. Thats why I think about upgrades, because I want to keep using my truck for a long time but I don't want to be wasteful. Ideas???
Old 09-24-2009, 09:29 AM   #7
VanceH
Loving the Jimmster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Cruise control, keyless entry/power locks, brighter headlights, sound deadening, 5 or 6 speed tranny either auto or manual, fuel injection, rear disk brakes, 67-68 hood for 69-72 grill, extended or crew cab that looks good. Most of the extended cabs I've seen here look ok, but the side windows just don't look right on some of them. The crew cabs look good, as long as the rear doors are not full truck doors, but they are a ton of work to make from suburban parts.

Some of my list is available now, I know.
This is why i bought my Jimmy, it has room for 4 adults, cruise, A/C, i plan on adding some sound deadening but as far as keyless entry and power locks all that stuf seems to break after time. I do under stand about the milage but you can add stuff like a new tranny with overdrive and control your driving habits to get a few more miles to the gallon. I have owned several New rigs dont get me wrong and they are nice, quite abit more smooth, less road noise, but when you look at what you pay lets say 35k for a new truck, you loose 5% the day you buy it, and in 5 years when you pay it off, whats the value? Maybe 1/2 if your lucky! Then drive it for another 10 years now its 15 years old and worth 5000.00 bucks on a good day!! So in 15 years you have lost 30k??!!?? Justt my opinion!
Old 09-24-2009, 09:34 AM   #8
BlueJeep

I like more ridgid frames, fuel injection, overdrive, remote start, and the radio that stays on from the time you shut the key off to the time you open the door. I also really like seats that have the hooks built in for car seats for the kids.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #9
VanceH
Loving the Jimmster

Car seat hooks are the Bomb!!!! I do miss that, it would be handy for the Grand kid
Old 09-24-2009, 09:43 AM   #10
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

keyless entry
remote start
rear disc brakes
Variable power steering (my 07 Grand Prix GXP has this... at 20 mph or lower, it's REALLY easy to turn the steering wheel. The faster you go though, the tighter it gets. Great for going STUPID FAST, and also for getting around parking lots.)
uhh...
rear disc brakes... wait... already said that...
uhh...
windshield washer sprayer nozzle tip thingys in the actual blades, instead of squirting up from... wherever it's supposed to squirt from... hood area somewhere (Mine doesn't work at all actually... I have a spray bottle of rain-x I keep in the truck)
uhh...
Overdrive transmission...
uhh...
cup holders...
power windows and locks...
dual zone a/c (hell... I don't even have a/c LOL) because the wife is cold, and I am hot...
heated seats...
train horn... ...
all the fancy stuff that is in my info DIC thingy... tire pressure, Maximum G's, fuel economy (instant and average), fuel range... yeah...
6 way adjustable power seats...
I'm sure there's more... I'll have to drive the wife's car again to remember. LOL
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:01 PM   #11
Ackattack

most of the stuff on my list on adding to my truck but here are a few I can think of:

keyless entry
power windows/locks
cruise control
power heated seats
cup holder
stretched cab for more leg room
ABS
rear disks
GPS
electric roll down rear window
stereo stays on after the key is removed (turns off when you open the door)
dual zone A/C
Information center with fuel economy
reverse camera
memory seating
electric mirror
auto dimming rear view mirror
integrated trailer brake controler
bluetooth phone integration (added this to my G8 bypassing Onstar.....it's great!)
Ipod connection
and of course fuel injection and OD tranny
that's about all I can think of for now

Last edited by Ackattack; 09-24-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #12
woodwright
Enjoying left field

For me, I view all the little do-dads on the newer stuff as more stuff to break. On the other hand, I would like to update:

brakes
steering
seat
5-speed
sound deadening
and just go through everything so its very reliable. I'm making a $540 payment on my Tundra and it only gets 13mpg, and Its more expensive to insure. At the end of the day, I would rather drive my bone stock 70 k10. The previous owner was getting 18mpg with it. A quad cab would be awesome though. but at almost 7000# it would have to be a diesel.

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #13
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Oh... and James Bond style machine guns that pop out from behind the head lights...
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:38 PM   #14
VanceH
Loving the Jimmster

At 35k for a new truck i should be able to have my 72 jimmy, my 67 c-10 and soon a Burb, then i am covered for anything!!!
Old 09-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #15
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

If one of your requirements is economy of operation, and you wouldn't want a change in engines, then you'd have to look at some changes to the drivetrain. But, with the engine control systems that monitor O2, throttle position, engine temp, etc., plus fuel injection (port/direct/throttle body) then you'd have to consider it. The stand-alone fuel injection systems that replace a carburetor are worth considering. But that means (to me) that an LS-engine with its' computer-controlled peripherals and wiring (available through Street and Performance) is also a want on my short list.

I already have A/C, steering and brakes. Power windows aren't a biggee. Remote door lock/unlock is nice to have. An alarm that is reliable is definately on the list. Air ride suspension would be nice....had it on a '90 Olds I used to own, so that type of system would be good. A comfortable seat, like the one I have in my GMC, would be good.

But you gotta look at the big picture and think about everything you plan to do with the vehicle. If it is a daily driver, then what is it that you do with it on a daily basis that you'd like to upgrade? If it is a cruiser, how much cruisin' do you do? Do you do road trips? In my opinion, each one of these three items dictates a different plan of attack in how you upgrade your vehicle.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:55 PM   #16
CB24

VanceH, I like the way you think bro. I got my 69' because I was tired of all the extra crap. It really hit me when I would look at a newer car & think of stuff I could take off of it. I like bare bones vehicles so I decided to finally get one. Most people think my logic is twisted but it makes sense to me, haha.
CB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:19 PM   #17
matthufham

f150 mirrors 90-96?
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:41 PM   #18
mclairmo

ABS, air bags, electronic traction control, anti-intrusion beams in the doors, reinforced A pillar and roof supports, crash proof door latches, overdrive, rear discs, EFI, power seat-windows-locks.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:28 PM   #19
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Earl,

i think one of the biggest issues is security of these vehicles. Not that the newer cars are more secure, BUT at least they have this feature!!!

Also, while you are at it....why not make an EASY TO INSTALL one piece windows

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:40 PM   #20
71tahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclairmo View Post
ABS, air bags, electronic traction control, anti-intrusion beams in the doors, reinforced A pillar and roof supports, crash proof door latches, overdrive, rear discs, EFI, power seat-windows-locks.
Why? You would have to acid dip the doors to make them half their thickness in order to install.

All the mentioned safety stuff (ABS, trac-ctrl, etc)
Substitute shoulder belts for airbags.
comfort and convenience (AC, power windows-brakes-seats(heated and cooled)-mirrors-locks-steering, outside temp/compass rear view mirror with backup camera)
Overdrive auto.
Rear disc.
Level pro pneumatic suspension.
AWD
Anti-theft.
dynamat and premium stereo (not crazy loud but quality sound with bluetooth).
brighter headlights.
EFI.

And last but not least, I would like that thing you can get with a lot of new cars:

6yr/60,000 mi bumper to bumper warranty!!!!!!!
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:54 PM   #21
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

A quick shifting but truck-tough 5/6 speed, and a fuel injected big block. Or LS7
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:44 PM   #22
mclairmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71tahoe View Post
Why? You would have to acid dip the doors to make them half their thickness in order to install.

All the mentioned safety stuff (ABS, trac-ctrl, etc)
Substitute shoulder belts for airbags.
comfort and convenience (AC, power windows-brakes-seats(heated and cooled)-mirrors-locks-steering, outside temp/compass rear view mirror with backup camera)
Overdrive auto.
Rear disc.
Level pro pneumatic suspension.
AWD
Anti-theft.
dynamat and premium stereo (not crazy loud but quality sound with bluetooth).
brighter headlights.
EFI.

And last but not least, I would like that thing you can get with a lot of new cars:

6yr/60,000 mi bumper to bumper warranty!!!!!!!
Call me paranoid. I should've bought a tank to restore. The older I get, the more I value my life. A forum member from Australia said that he is required to add these anti-intrusion beams in his doors just to register his truck. That must suck. Another guy said he added a 1x1 inch bar in the door just to keep his damaged door skin from caving in and it actually cleared the window track.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:59 PM   #23
71tahoe

I think one of the best technologies for these old trucks is newer car crumple zones.

They absorb all the impact!!!

On a serious note, I was in a wreck when I was about 10 (give or take a couple of years. Getting old sucks!) Mom was driving a 78 Volvo wagon and lost control coming out of a curve in the rain. It was a 4-lane and she crossed the center line and broadsided 2 cars. I was real glad for anti-intrusion door beams and shoulder belts.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:05 PM   #24
vectorit
What?

On my 68 K20 burb?

Air or electric diferential lockers front and rear.
Maybe a hydraulic clutch? Though my manual actuated one is fine for me.
Better leaf springs.
On demand tire compressor. Deflate and inflate while in motion.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:11 PM   #25
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceH View Post
I would have to say nothing!!! There is a reason that i drive my 67 and 72, I for one am not a fan of beer can made cars and trucks with all the electric crap that breaks after three years
This is my answer too.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote