The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2017, 09:04 PM   #11
Black_Sheep

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Did some searching "power steering high effort" online last night. I wasn't able to find the specific pressure the system should produce but it looks like in the 1000-1500psi range. My LQ4 came out of an Isuzu N series truck and of course my rack is from a Corvette. So I'm wondering if there simply a mismatch of pressure requirements? Also, I read some where there are shins within the pump that lower the pressure. So obviously if that's true we could remove some to gain pressure. But without knowing what pressure it's producing now and why it SHOULD be for the Vette rack, we'd be working blind and potentially over pressurizing the hoses.
You are on the right track Dan. Hydraulic systems need to supply adequate flow and pressure tailored to the specific requirements of whatever it's driving. If you know what year the donor car was you should be able to find pressure specs in the appropriate Corvette service manual. If the pressure is within spec then you need to look at flow. If the pump displacement is undersized or pump rpms are too slow, the system performance will suffer. I'm only asking because you are mixing and matching parts so please don't be offended, are you sure the pump is turning in the right direction? How are the pressure and return lines plumbed? Line size is commonly -6 to and from the rack, the line from the remote reservoir should be the same size or even slightly larger.
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote