The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2014, 02:31 PM   #201
jlsanborn

Re: 55 TF Stretched Cab/Fleetside/LSx/Trailblazer Frame

Awesome! What a cool power combo for this build!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:18 PM   #202
ricott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
You're making nice progress on it.
Wish I had kept track of the hours on mine like you are.
Kim
Thanks Kim. I really wanted to keep up with the hours on this build as a way to motivate me. While it has been 10 months since I started, I've only worked about 3 - 40 hour weeks. With any luck I will be able to find about 200 hours for this project over the next year, and I can dream about how far that will take me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
Awesome! What a cool power combo for this build!
Thanks for the comment. I love how the 6.0 engine in our GTO runs, and can't wait to get this one on the road.

Here is a picture of the headers and assorted other parts that need to be installed. We will see what happens on Saturday.

Ricky
ricott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:59 AM   #203
dug224

Gotta catch up with the progress. You are really moving. Sent you a PM regarding local stuff. Dug
dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #204
ricott

Dug,

Thanks for checking in. Would you resend the PM? I checked my in box and didn't have anything. I going through withdrawal on your build - please post up some current pictures. I'm currently trying to get the radiator/fans to fit in (I want to use the Camaro fans, if possible) and having issues making it work. I might give you a call this weekend if I can get back on the truck then. I'm in Dallas this week working, so no evening time.

Ricky
Old 12-03-2014, 02:01 PM   #205
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricott View Post
Dug,

Thanks for checking in. Would you resend the PM? I checked my in box and didn't have anything. I going through withdrawal on your build - please post up some current pictures. I'm currently trying to get the radiator/fans to fit in (I want to use the Camaro fans, if possible) and having issues making it work. I might give you a call this weekend if I can get back on the truck then. I'm in Dallas this week working, so no evening time.

Ricky
Having some technical difficulties. Sent you a "test" PM. Let me know if you got it.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #206
ricott

Last weekend I worked a couple of hours trying to get everything mocked up under the hood. I want to use a Camaro radiator/fan/AC condenser in my truck as it will cut down on fab time, the parts are readily available, and it has worked great on the GTO. I have a Camaro radiator and fan that were damaged that I use for this purpose. I could not get everything under the hood using the "truck" pulley system. By using the "Corvette" pulley system (1 and ½ inches shorter) and a 2006 corvette water pump, I will able to come up with all the room I need. In this picture I have the "Holley" mounting brackets I bought to use on another project as a test fit – I will use this setup. Here is the truck with everything in its "approximate" location (and using a corvette/Camaro water pump from 2002 – but because the 2006 water pump pulley is a lot closer, when I get it bolted on it will free up more space).

The rest of my time was spent pulling and disassembling the steering column from the GTO. While in Dallas last week someone attempted to steal the car. I was parked in a out of the way spot in downtown Dallas (I park in this lot all the time-but in a lot more visible spot- where I can see the car from my 37 floor office window). I was working late, and I found the car with the door opened and the steering column trashed. The thief knew what he was doing, thank goodness, and was careful not too damage anything else. Because I have the theft system turned on in the GM computer and the PASSKEY wired up, he could not get it to crank (or do anything) without using the correct key. Eric and I will be doing additional upgrades to the theft system, but I'm glad the passkey worked like GM designed! I have another column that I use to mock up with, so I pulled the parts needed to fix the GTO from it, and spent about 10 hours figuring it out.

We were very Lucky - and I am thankful.

Ricky

Time spent : 3 hours

Total time: 134

Last edited by ricott; 12-09-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:07 AM   #207
papastrk

Man oh man, downtown Dallas! You are truly one lucky guy. I wouldn't park anything I wanted to keep there. I've heard of them loading cars on roll back wreckers to steal them.
papastrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:33 AM   #208
dug224

So, you are fabricating your own core support or going with the factory one? Love the engine paint. Fits like a glove.

On a positive spin, the GTO is soooo nice somebody tried to steal it. Kind of an underhanded compliment. Congratulations?...and good job keeping the security in place.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:46 AM   #209
papastrk

Yes, a beautiful car. And a theft system that worked. The extended cab project is just a fantastic build.
papastrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #210
jlsanborn

Very cool that you left the anti-theft active in the Goat and that it worked for you. Nice work on getting the engine bay laid out too, looks great!
Old 12-22-2014, 09:29 PM   #211
ricott

Thanks everyone for your comments. Today marks the end of the first year of this build - and I've spent 142 hours (give or take a few) getting the truck to this point. I've not had any real time since Thanksgiving to work on this truck - the only real block of time was pulling three Trailblazer EXT gas tanks to find one that was not cracked at the gas inlet (It was an 06). It turns out the 2003-2004 EXT tanks had a defect in attaching the filler neck that caused them to break. GM warrantied all EXT tanks for those years for 10 years/150K miles - free replacement. Since we are outside the window (and I couldn't drive the EXT to the Dealer!!!), I picked up a 2006 tank, but that required changing the pump for the 2005 and up design.

The Headers have been installed, and most of the front pulley system. I still need to pull the Harmonic balancer (truck design) and replace it with the Corvette design, and get the power steering pump installed.

I have two wiring harnesses from chevy trucks - both missing parts. One is a Drive by Wire, the other is Drive by Cable. I will make one good Drive by Cable out of these after Christmas (just enough to get the truck running). I really want to hear this truck make some noise with open headers!

To all those that stop by this build, I hope you have a wonderful Christmas. I always love this time spent with the extended family from both sides! It is always great times.

Ricky

Time spent 8 Hours

Total time 142 hours.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:43 PM   #212
Advanced Design

Nice progress Ricky, thanks for taking the time to share.
Harness looks a bit intimidating!
Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:17 AM   #213
Kim57

Nice progress.
Merry Christmas.
Kim
Old 12-23-2014, 01:51 AM   #214
jlsanborn

That's a lot of figgerin on just the fuel tank and pumps, can't imagine the harness and all that jazz you have going! Well done and happy holidays to you too!
Old 12-23-2014, 01:59 AM   #215
dsraven

hey Ricky, nice job. the wiring will be easier than you think. let me know if you are having trouble sorting it out, my buddy is well versed in the quick run harness because he put several in a mustang (blew them all up from too much boost on a worn out motor, but fun while it lasted) i'm sure he would give me a few hints. I am in the same boat as you as far as time. busy at work studying to train the guys on a new computer we will be getting in our fire engiines and studying for a promotion at the same time as daily work stuff and employee evaluations etc etc.
anyay, your progress is coming along pretty good for no time. wish mine looked like that with an engine in the frame and cab installed as well. ready to run, that will be a sweet day.
well, hope you have a great Christmas and happy new year. stay safe.
dennis
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #216
ricott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Nice progress Ricky, thanks for taking the time to share.
Harness looks a bit intimidating!
Merry Christmas to you and your family!
After you have done it a few time, the Harness is really straight forward (especially if you just are trying to get it running). For now I will just replace the cut wires from one harness into the other - it shouldn't take more than a few hours, then plug it all in and crank it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
That's a lot of figgerin on just the fuel tank and pumps, can't imagine the harness and all that jazz you have going! Well done and happy holidays to you too!
Funny how something that should be straight forward really turned into a PIA! After pulling the second EXT gas tank (and discovering it was cracked), I told the yard operator I was going home (50 miles away) and research how to fix the tanks - that is when I found out the problem. The good news is I now have what I need to finish up the fuel system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
hey Ricky, nice job. the wiring will be easier than you think. let me know if you are having trouble sorting it out, my buddy is well versed in the quick run harness because he put several in a mustang (blew them all up from too much boost on a worn out motor, but fun while it lasted) i'm sure he would give me a few hints. I am in the same boat as you as far as time. busy at work studying to train the guys on a new computer we will be getting in our fire engiines and studying for a promotion at the same time as daily work stuff and employee evaluations etc etc.
anyay, your progress is coming along pretty good for no time. wish mine looked like that with an engine in the frame and cab installed as well. ready to run, that will be a sweet day.
well, hope you have a great Christmas and happy new year. stay safe.
dennis
Dennis - thanks for the offer, and I may take you up on it. I hope the wiring (this round) will be a non-event. On the GTO it was very time consuming laying it all out to work. Once I have all the cuts in the harness repaired (using good portions from the second harness), I will plug it all in and run it as is. Using the 2000 - 2001 truck fuse block and harness, there are only five wires to hook up to make it run. I hope I have time during the holidays to get it running.

Ricky
Old 12-23-2014, 10:57 AM   #217
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

This is going to be one nice ride, hope you can get more time on it after the holidays! Merry Christmas!!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:17 AM   #218
ricott

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDriver View Post
This is going to be one nice ride, hope you can get more time on it after the holidays! Merry Christmas!!
Thanks JJ for your comments - I was just looking at my schedule for the next several months to see how much time I could realistically expect to spend on the truck during the first half of next year. I had really hoped to spend a lot more time on this project this year - but it was not to be. I think for the first quarter of 2015 I should be able to invest north of 100 hours in this project, and that should get a lot of the sheetmetal fabricating/welding done. In my first post I said I would like to be able to drive the truck (even in rat rod condition) by June 2015. I don't think that will happen, but I believe I will drive it at some point before the end of the summer.

I'm looking forward to seeing your new frame come together as time permits - I bet you will really enjoy driving the 2.0 version of your truck.

Ricky
Old 12-23-2014, 11:27 AM   #219
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

"Version 2.0" I like that!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:55 AM   #220
Bomp

The more I follow along the more you inspire me. Maybe one day we will both figure out how to buy some time and get a chance to meet up.
By any chance have you read through any of clemdaddy threads? He has a get together in October and that is pretty close to you.

Have a Merry Christmas and happy New Year.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:10 PM   #221
ricott

I hope everyone had a great time over the holidays – we sure did - but it left very little time to work on this project. Now that the holidays are over it is time to get serious on this build. I am committed to spending at least 6 hours a week working on my truck, and more when I can.

I spent a few hours on December 30 pulling the front seats and carpet from a 2004 Trailblazer. The seats/carpet are pretty good, and for $60.00 the price was right. Because I'm using the Trailblazer floor pan, both the seats and carpet will install with very little effort.

Over the course of three evenings I pulled the sheet metal from the frame and replaced the cut wires in the Drive by Cable harness I'm using on this truck.

By using a Chevrolet truck wiring harness/fuse block, there are only 5 wires (none in the engine harness) you need to deal with to make the engine run (assuming the Theft is OFF in the computer). Because I'm using a Manuel transmission, there are two additional wires (in the engine harness) that must be spliced together to bypass the Neutral Safety Switch that is tranny mounted. I have my trusty engine wiring schematic for a chevy truck for this stage of figuring it out.

To make the engine run, I have a 2001 Chevy 5.3 truck computer with the theft turned off. I have used this computer a couple of time to hear "junkyard" engines run before I pull them out. Once a vehicle is up and running, I switch the computer over to one that has been programmed for the specific project.

After I got it all ready, I had the WRONG fuseblock (one for a 2003 up Drive by Wire pickup). So the open headers will have to wait for Monday. I will run down to my friend's yard and pull the right fuseblock.

Once I finish up the fuel lines and hook up the radiator, I will run the engine for 30 or so minutes (hopefully next weekend), And I will post a video of it running. Body welding begins in earnest after it runs.

As always, more to come.

Ricky

Time spent : 18 hours

Total time: 160

Last edited by ricott; 01-17-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:25 PM   #222
jlsanborn

You make this LS stuff look like Tinker Toys! Can't wait to hear it.
6hrs a week sounds like chum but I know first hand how hard it is to find six solid hours. You sure seem to get a lot done in those hours though
Old 01-17-2015, 09:33 PM   #223
Kim57

Looking good.
Hope you get it running soon.
Kim
Old 01-17-2015, 10:21 PM   #224
Advanced Design

Ricky that was a great buy on the seats! Looking forward to start up.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:37 AM   #225
Bomp

Man what I wouldn't give for 6 hrs a week to work on my truck. And I'd double that to have some of the LS knowledge you have locked away.

Can't WAIT to see the vid!
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote