The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-02-2010, 03:53 AM   #1
zammer
Addicted user

Blazer retractable convertible top

I want to run an idea by the blazer crowd that have looked at top options for soft tops.
What i want to do is make my own retractable soft top that would be like a conventional convertible top on most cars which collapes into the rear of the back seats. I was looking at making a small bed cover for the back 2 1/2 to 3 feet behind the rear seat which would open up and house the frame and top when the top is down...
I found a nice 1964 Pontiac Parisienne convertible frame near me that is 58" wide and would almost fit on the blazer which is 60" wide. The length on it may need some mod to extend as it is 6 1/2 feet from the front top edge to when the back of the back window is... i may need about a foot more in length... I think it would be cool to have top like this on the 71 2wd blazer so the top is always ready to go, i live in a cooler climate so something like this would be worth doing, but i have realized that it is a project on its own..

The main thing i'm unsure about is in the back where I want the frame when collapsed to be able to go lower then the top I fab for it... I think the only way i can do this is by adding more linkages to lift the frame off the bed maybe to where it can then be brought out and extended towards the windshield..
Any thoughts of if I have an idea here that will be a pain in the ass or will it be pretty cool to pull it off?

Here's a couple pics of the frame

Name:  frame1.jpg
Views: 7719
Size:  53.6 KB

Name:  frame2.jpg
Views: 7748
Size:  56.0 KB

Or i was going to do a top using a boat bimini top on just custom make one that way like these ones a guy did::

Name:  1089.jpg
Views: 6875
Size:  40.1 KB
Name:  1311.jpg
Views: 6731
Size:  49.8 KB
zammer is offline   Reply With Quote