The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2016, 09:43 AM   #11
robnolimit

Re: Make it handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBryant View Post
Hey Rob I am setting up the rear axle a Ford 9 inch and a parallel 4 link with air bags. Its going in my 1983 Chevy long bed 2wd. I have back halfed the frame just behind the cab. My question is where do I set the pinion angle?
OK, here's the basics. *** Disclaimer *** This is for normal stance street vehicles. Not drag cars, 4x4's, jeeps, tow rigs,...... OK.

To start with, you need to be able to set the vehicle (or at least the rear suspension), at Ride Height. So, here is what I would do.

1) put the truck or chassis up on some jack stands, as I get older, I realize the value of not bending over and/or laying on the floor. Get it nice and level all the way around.

2) With the rear suspension mocked up, make up a spring block (coil spring or bag) or a set-up bar (coil over) that holds the suspension at Ride Height. This would be appx half of the shock travel for a coil-over, for a coil spring or bag, give yourself 3" to 4" to the frame for up travel. (you results may vary, depending on chassis mods, this is for you to decide) But, try to get it close. Kugal Komponents has cool adjustable set-up bars for builders. Check them out.

3) Measure the angle of the crankshaft. Yes, you have to put the motor and trans in. Or, at least a shell of each. The oil pan rail is on the crank CL. Also, you can use the balancer face, as the are 90 degrees to one another.

4) As a starting point, set the pinion at the same angle as the crack. Not 'pointed at it', but the same angle (see pict) Using the face of the pinion yoke is easiest.

5) Now, make adjustments to match the type of suspension you have.
Leaf Springs - push the front of the pinion down 2* to 3*.
Coils or Bags on Trailing Arms - Push the front of the pinion down 1 1/2* to 2*.
4-Bar with poly bushings - push the front of the pinion down 1* to 1 1/2*
4-Bar with Delron or Heims - push the front of the pinion down 1/2* to 1*

OK, that's how I do it. I'm sure others have different ways, but this method had worked great for No Limit for 30+ years. Can't argue with success.
Attached Images

2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote