The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2016, 05:10 PM   #1
conman585

Dirty Dingo LS Low Mount A/C Bracket

I haven't been on Dirty Dingo's website in a while but noticed this last night while browsing. Seems to be a newish part/design for them. Allows the A/C compressor to hug the block more. The compressor extends only 10 5/8" from the crank centerline compared to the alan grove bracket at 11 3/4" and stock ls vortec at 12". Has anyone used this product yet?? I'd like to use this with the Hooker LS swap motor mounts. I know there are plenty highmount options but id prefer to keep it lowmount if able. Potential recipient is a 2wd C10.

Last edited by conman585; 07-25-2016 at 05:18 PM. Reason: pics
conman585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:43 AM   #2
Wgesnerjr

Re: Dirty Dingo LS Low Mount A/C Bracket

I have been looking to do the Holley high mount for a while, but always wanted to keep the compressor in the stock position. Did not think it was possible without cutting part of the frame or some special fittings.

However, if this is a good option, I will have to start rethinking my a/c plans.

I am real interested in a review of this part as well!
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:15 AM   #3
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgesnerjr View Post
I have been looking to do the Holley high mount for a while, but always wanted to keep the compressor in the stock position. Did not think it was possible without cutting part of the frame or some special fittings.

However, if this is a good option, I will have to start rethinking my a/c plans.

I am real interested in a review of this part as well!
It really depends on where your motor sits. I used the ECE mounts on my 69 Burb and it places the factory truck ac in position that you don't have to cut the frame.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:11 PM   #4
izzy_Britton

Looks like a good option. I just ordered one. Should be starting my swap abt day now and this will be one less thing I hopefully have to worry about. Thanks for pointing this out to me.
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:05 AM   #5
e015475

One of the reasons the DD sits in further is that it uses the smaller Sanden compressor. It is about 85% of the displacement of the larger Sanden. The Alan Grove bracket seems to be the same one Vintage Air sells and their kit uses the larger Sanden.

I saw the DD mount too, and I need the extra clearance, so I called Vintage Air and asked if the smaller Sanden would work. They said it should as long as it was being overdriven from the dampner pulley but I would be giving up some compressor displacement.

Im in Phoenix so I will need all the ac I can get, but think the smaller Sanden will be fine with good cab insulation and correct condenser and fan. Really dont want to notch my frame rail for the bigger Sanden

If you go with the DD bracket the smaller Sanden's ports look to point straight up into the engine block. Would be interested to hear if this was a problem using the smaller compressor
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:06 AM   #6
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by e015475 View Post
One of the reasons the DD sits in further is that it uses the smaller Sanden compressor. It is about 85% of the displacement of the larger Sanden. The Alan Grove bracket seems to be the same one Vintage Air sells and their kit uses the larger Sanden.

I saw the DD mount too, and I need the extra clearance, so I called Vintage Air and asked if the smaller Sanden would work. They said it should as long as it was being overdriven from the dampner pulley but I would be giving up some compressor displacement.

Im in Phoenix so I will need all the ac I can get, but think the smaller Sanden will be fine with good cab insulation and correct condenser and fan. Really dont want to notch my frame rail for the bigger Sanden

If you go with the DD bracket the smaller Sanden's ports look to point straight up into the engine block. Would be interested to hear if this was a problem using the smaller compressor
I would love to see pictures of this bracket installed and how you connect the lines.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:46 PM   #7
e015475

This looks like it might be a good option for a low-mount Sanden compressor to get the ports facing a direction you can work with and not shooting right into the frame rail-

[IMG][/IMG]

I can't speak to the installation of the compressor using the DD low mount, but DD also sells the smaller Sanden units and I'm curious if they have a recommendation.

Anybody been down this road yet?

'
Old 09-26-2016, 02:39 PM   #8
knomadd

I know this is old, but in case anyone wants to see this, here's the Dirty Dingo mounts with the SD7B10 compressor. This is on an L96 (6.0L Vortec motor)

I'll post pics when I get the engine installed. I test fit it this past weekend and it looks like it will clear just fine.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:23 PM   #9
e015475

And here's the larger Sanden compressor on some home-made brackets in a 47-54 chassis - note the two ears that were shaved off the Sanden to get it to clear the frame rail-

The front of the engine showing the stock tensioner-

If you are buying this bracket, be aware that the aluminum block LS motors and the iron block motors have different mounting holes for the compressor bracket so make sure it will work with your block.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:45 PM   #10
conman585

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
I know this is old, but in case anyone wants to see this, here's the Dirty Dingo mounts with the SD7B10 compressor. This is on an L96 (6.0L Vortec motor)

I'll post pics when I get the engine installed. I test fit it this past weekend and it looks like it will clear just fine.
Awesome, thanks for the update. I talked to a guy a few weeks ago at C10s in the park that used a SD7B10 for his AC setup in his 75 C10 and he said the compressor had no issues cooling his cab.
conman585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:12 AM   #11
izzy_Britton

Quote:
Originally Posted by e015475 View Post
If you are buying this bracket, be aware that the aluminum block LS motors and the iron block motors have different mounting holes for the compressor bracket so make sure it will work with your block.
I think I have to disagree with this portion of your statement, I am looking at 3 differ engines right now, a 5.3 iron block, a 5.3 HO aluminum block, as a 6.2 aluminum block, and all 3 have the same mounting holes.

Maybe I got lucky, or maybe there is a different aluminum block vs iron block that your referring to?

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:09 PM   #12
knomadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by conman585 View Post
Awesome, thanks for the update. I talked to a guy a few weeks ago at C10s in the park that used a SD7B10 for his AC setup in his 75 C10 and he said the compressor had no issues cooling his cab.
I had the same compressor with my small block from the Vintage Air Front Runner setup I was running. That compressor did great, and I liked the way it looks a little better than the bigger Sanden 508 style compressors most aftermarket brackets are made for (I have one in my GTO and the hoses don't look as nice - they come off the compressor at different angles). I knew I wanted to keep the SD7 compressor, so I spent a bit of time trying to find something that would work. Looks like these brackets are just the thing.

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 09-27-2016, 12:10 PM   #13
e015475

Here's what happened when I made my own bracket-

I used a cast aluminum AC compressor bracket off of a iron block motor as a pattern to make the bracket for the Sanden. After I'd drilled two holes, I checked it to the block of the aluminum LM4 in my truck and only one hole lined up. WTF?

Alan Grove had the instructions for their bracket posted on line, and it shows three holes in the block bracket and a note that says something like "Ignore this third hole, it is for aluminum block LS engines"

Here's the link to Alan Grove's instructions-

http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/i...tions/142R.pdf

So it looked to me that the Alan Grove bracket is different for an aluminum block or iron block - but I didn't know if the Dingo would be the same - thus the heads-up
Old 09-29-2016, 12:25 PM   #14
toddoky

You guys will soon have a low-mount Sanden A/C compressor option available from Holley as well, so I thought I'd post a photo of the 3d printed prototyped installed on an engine. The bracket will be OE-like in its construction details just like the other existing Holley accessory drive brackets are, and will be installable in the Corvette, F-body or truck offsets.[IMG][/IMG]
toddoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:46 PM   #15
knomadd

Will it also be like the other Holley brackets that require spacers in addition to the brackets themselves, purchased separately?

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 09-29-2016, 01:18 PM   #16
toddoky

Quote:
Will it also be like the other Holley brackets that require spacers in addition to the brackets themselves, purchased separately?
The configuration of this set-up made it possible to be able to put all the various parts in the same box this time without requiring separate spacers to be required.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:33 PM   #17
toddoky

Quote:
The configuration of this set-up made it possible to be able to put all the various parts in the same box this time without requiring separate spacers to be required.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #18
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddoky View Post
You guys will soon have a low-mount Sanden A/C compressor option available from Holley as well, so I thought I'd post a photo of the 3d printed prototyped installed on an engine. The bracket will be OE-like in its construction details just like the other existing Holley accessory drive brackets are, and will be installable in the Corvette, F-body or truck offsets.
Will it use the factory idler?
Old 09-29-2016, 02:10 PM   #19
toddoky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Will it use the factory idler?
Yes, I believe it is the stock truck idler pulley being used.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:15 PM   #20
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Yes, I believe it is the stock truck idler pulley being used.
Kewl, that will save everyone some $$. I'm curious how that would work with my Early Classic LS motor mount kit. I have a factory truck compressor and it's very tight down there....
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2016, 04:07 PM   #21
toddoky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Kewl, that will save everyone some $$. I'm curious how that would work with my Early Classic LS motor mount kit. I have a factory truck compressor and it's very tight down there....
I can't see you having any fitment issues running it on your truck at the truck offset position.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:48 PM   #22
ls1nova71

I really like the looks of that new Holley bracket! Any idea of what its going to cost? And does it come with a tensioner and belt like some of the others?

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:57 PM   #23
toddoky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
I really like the looks of that new Holley bracket! Any idea of what its going to cost? And does it come with a tensioner and belt like some of the others?
I'm not sure about those packaging details, but I'll find out for you and post a response.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:02 AM   #24
Hart_Rod

Quote:
I can't see you having any fitment issues running it on your truck at the truck offset position.
I'm sure it will fit as the compressor is smaller than the factory one. Was really just wondering how the lines come off the compressor in relation to the frame. If you want to send me one, I'll do some R&D for you......
Old 09-30-2016, 03:35 PM   #25
toddoky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
I was able to find out this morning that the bracket will be available as a stand-alone part and also as part of a kit that included the idler pulley and a belt. I don't have any MSRP pricing information on it at this time, but I'll post it up in the near future when I do.