The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2015, 12:08 PM   #1
98onyxss

Still working on a clever name...

Figured I would post up a build thread. Beware though, updates will probably be sporadic. When I get blocks of build time progress is rapid, then long periods of nothing until my schedule lightens up again.

Picked this up from a buddy in Dec of 2013. He had already bolted in the PB extreme front kit but decided to send the project down the road. I immediately put in an order for a custom inboard 4-link and the new (at the time) center frame section from PB. (Looking back, I don't know if I would do it again. I didn't have a good Porterbuilt experience at all.)

Picked up an aluminum 6.0 with LS3 heads shortly after that. Went through a few transmission ideas before picking up a 4l80e from a buddy. I'll be doing a Holley hi-rise modular with a custom hat with two downfire zex plates and twin 450's. Then I will use a standalone trans controller with paddle shift to control the 4l80.

I originally planned on using a round back 9 housing for an old school look. But after trying to cram 10lbs of crap in a 5lb sack I decided to go a completely different route in the rear. Ended up going to a Moser fab 9. I also ended up ditching the PB bridge and bag setup. Sadly it was all welded in by the time I made that decision. Switched to shockwaves, an anti-roll bar, and a wishbone track locator.

The mount angle for the motor is pretty rough with the holley intake. And they don't include any rake in the dual carb hat. So in order to get a couple of degrees of forward slant....extreme measures had to be taken. Ive gone through a couple of different rough prototypes to see where I need to be and how I want to do it...so those pictures are included. I will build the final top once the frame is back on the ground.

I'll also be changing the PB center section to work with a single piece driveshaft instead of the two piece. This will also double as a driveshaft loop for track days.

Any questions, comments, suggestions are always welcome! And as you can see this is a father/son project!

(For another project....)
98onyxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:46 PM   #2
cooperhw

Re: Still working on a clever name...

Well I can't see the pics here from work (Iron Panties Block) so I will check em out later.
sounds like you are moving along and making progress. As to names why not try the search feature and try random names and see if they have already been used before? How about 2nd time is the charm
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:56 PM   #3
FRANKENSTEINC10

Very nice work so far.
FRANKENSTEINC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 04:16 PM   #4
98onyxss

Gonna call her BEDLAM.

A little bit of progress this summer. Had centerline make some wheels, picked up some wildwood front hubs to go on the CPP spindles. Picked up some D52 front calipers and D154's for the back. Had the rear narrowed and all welded up. Started rough cutting the bed, fenders, and cab to clear everything. Goofing around with some header ideas as well.

Im going to have my axles drilled for 5x5 as well as 5x4.75 just like the front hubs. They have screw in 1/2" studs, so I may be able to swap from stock wheels to my drag set fairly easily. (When I do rotor hats, I'll pick up some that are either dual or tri bolt pattern.)

Gotta notch and plate the back braces of the rear housing to clear the shockwaves. I might get to that this weekend. Otherwise its going to sit for a while until the piggy bank has time to refill!

Old 09-05-2015, 06:42 PM   #5
cooperhw

Bedlam looking good. Me like.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:05 PM   #6
69short

Looking good
69short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:51 AM   #7
FRANKENSTEINC10

If you ever get tired of the engine, I call dibs now!!! That thing is sweet. I love seeing awesome fab skills on this site.
FRANKENSTEINC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:58 AM   #8
whitels1

Bad ass man!

GoldyLS1 K20 Build

My K10 Rock Crawler

-Dave
whitels1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:41 PM   #9
98onyxss

Figured out how to mark where I wanted to notch the braces, cut it and mounted everything up. Went ahead and set it on the ground to see how it looked aired up and down. My boy came out and said "Awesome! This is so cool!"

Old 09-29-2015, 02:30 PM   #10
Hart_Rod

Sweet project! Let me know if you need some shortened rear tubz for the bed:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676606
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote