The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-09-2024, 09:45 PM   #38
ProjectDD
Paint, Body & Metalworker

Re: Strip to bare metal or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7D2N View Post
I have not decided on a brand but planning to use acrylic enamel in single stage and in white. what do you guys like to spray enamel or urethane?
I would spray an acrylic urethane or polyurethane over an enamel if you're wanting single stage. I would simplify it as, enamel is tractor paint tech and urethane is more modern. Base/Clear is always the best for longevity and overall maintenance. An enamel will require more frequent polishing to keep the gloss up over it's life of sun exposure. More polishing will remove overall mil thickness. An acrylic urethane/polyurethane will have better UV protection and hold it's gloss longer. It will eventually loose gloss but it will be a decade+ for something that sits outside and never sees a waxing. Base/Clear is almost a set it and forget it product as far as a lasting finish.

Depending your spray experience. I could argue base/clear is more forgiving to spray then a single stage. As you can clean your basecoat up and then spray clear. And spraying single stage is the equivalent to spraying clearcoat.

Not talking you into anything you don't want. Just spitting some of my .02

White is a hard color to spray. After your first coat. It becomes difficult to see where you are at on the panels. You must sight down the side of the vehicle and watch the product lay as you spray.

I'd be happy to answer questions.
ProjectDD is offline   Reply With Quote