The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #1176
mcbassin
Still Learning

Re: LFD's low buck truck build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post
Have you seen the one 72K5ZL1 did up? Stock look with some nice changes.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...2&postcount=68

I really like it. I'd like to see one with the tach where the fuel gauge is and the fuel gauge in the center and some minor refinement of the secondary gauges with actual volts numbers, temp numbers and oil pressure numbers like he has done for the boost gauge.
I like the tach and gas gauge swap idea too. Any idea where he got those gauges or is this an aftermarket cluster? thanks
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:29 PM   #1177
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
I like the tach and gas gauge swap idea too. Any idea where he got those gauges or is this an aftermarket cluster? thanks
He had a speedo shop make up a custom screen for it, recalibrated the stock speedo to a 140 mph range and put together a modern tach that would work with his LS swap too. He gives all the data in his build thread.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...32#post4339032
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:08 AM   #1178
Rokcrln

Well I hope to have some pics up this weekend (My wife has the camera up in Tahoe) so I can show some progress. The motor is in and bolted and I started working on the routing of the engine harness tonight before coming inside and ordering the chassis harness to re-wire the truck. I figure I will get the EFI harness routed and the computer mounted under the dash then I can figure out were I can best fit the chassis harness. I went with a EZ-Mini 20 harness for the chassis to try and save on some space plus I used on in my son's 51 F1 and really likes it. I also ordered a box of dyna-mat for the engine side of the firewall to help cut down on even more noise and heat. Then I ordered one sheet of their 1/4" thick deadener for the bottom of the hood. I want the truck to sound good from out side but nice and quiet inside. I still need to figure out my gauges but I think I will go with the set I listed before after I get every thing else done. Well that is about it for tonight, hope to have some real progress done by Sunday.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:02 AM   #1179
Rokcrln

Well it was a cold but productive day. I de-wired the truck of 95% of the stock wiring that was still in good shape but with all my added circuits it was creating a mess. Also I ended up mounting the computer and TCM in the same location the the old fuse box was located. I also spent a good amount of time making sure I would not have a fire wall full of wiring like I did before, that always bugged me. Now with the Dyna-Mat and no visible wiring nightmare I might be so ashamed to open the hood at our local car shows. I had to make a bracket to hold the ECU and TCM so I made one that lets both items slide in place for easy removal if needed and the bracket is screwed to the ribs of the brake booster support.

It is hard to tell but the motor is slid back about 2.5" to better tuck into the firewall with the tall truck intake. I had it at first in the bolt in location and it just looked wrong. I will continue the Dyna-Mat lower on the firewall once I get another box. I thought 12 sq ft would have been enough but I guess not. I made a bracket that the new pedal bolts to and then I welded the bracket to the booster support ribs so it is secure and still easy to remove the pedal with a few allen button heads. As soon as the new harness shows up and I have time I can start to focus on getting the interior back together but for now I am going with the bomb went off look!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2011, 12:07 AM   #1180
Rokcrln

Once the next box of Dyna-Mat comes in I will finish the interior and exterior of the firewall, it should really help on engine noise. I had most of the interior done before and it was night and day from with out it but I wanted it even better this time around. I know some may not like the look of it on the engine bay side but I think it will look really clean when it is finished up and all reassembled. I figure most new cars have foil backed deadener in the engine bay so why not give it a shot.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2011, 12:37 AM   #1181
jwalk
What was I thinking?

I don't think the foil look will look that bad. For a driver it's more about comfort. If it was going to be a full blown show then i'd paint it. Definitely going to be a nice truck!
Posted via Mobile Device

'68 C/10 Custom Long wide bed
'78 GMC Sierra short wide
Project: Second time around...'68 short wide
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=423949
jwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #1182
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
I don't think the foil look will look that bad. For a driver it's more about comfort. If it was going to be a full blown show then i'd paint it. Definitely going to be a nice truck!
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree and with that in mind I do plan on doing a turbo set up down the road so it will help with under the hood temps not coming into the cabin I hope. So far I have over 17,000 miles on this truck since it was first built here on the site and it has been one of the most comfortable builds I have done. When I was younger it was all about being loud, now it is about long drives and comfort and maybe even some decent miles per gallon.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #1183
watahyahknow

i seen a couple of trucks where they put the turbo(s) under the bed right behind the cab or trough the bedfloor
its a little more complicated oiling the turbo (you either need a seperate tank and pump system or line from the engine to the turbo and a scavangepump back to the sump ) and some more piping to get the air to the intake , but you can use stock type exaust manifolds .
and it saves a lot of heat under the hood and in the cab , it doesnt lag as some nay sayers want you to believe

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #1184
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
i seen a couple of trucks where they put the turbo(s) under the bed right behind the cab or trough the bedfloor
its a little more complicated oiling the turbo (you either need a seperate tank and pump system or line from the engine to the turbo and a scavangepump back to the sump ) and some more piping to get the air to the intake , but you can use stock type exaust manifolds .
and it saves a lot of heat under the hood and in the cab , it doesnt lag as some nay sayers want you to believe
I am planning on a single turbo set up under the hood. With the motor slid back I will have ample room under the hood and it will make for a simple set up. I like the vett twin set up that is behind the rear lic. plate! Quite the set up with air returns through the rockers!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #1185
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Hey Kevin....what's the gauge over the driver side AC vent....did ya put it in some kinda housing??....I really loved this build when you first did it....now it's gonna be even nicer!!!

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:50 PM   #1186
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcburdic View Post
Hey Kevin....what's the gauge over the driver side AC vent....did ya put it in some kinda housing??....I really loved this build when you first did it....now it's gonna be even nicer!!!
That is my trans temp gauge and the pod I made with florist foam than glassed over it. Look at post 596, on page 24 shows a better shot of it. I could not find the post were I made it though.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #1187
Rokcrln

Found it! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=260607
PS I used the green florist foam because resin does not melt it like regular foam.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:15 PM   #1188
watahyahknow

think the lightblue high density foam stays together too with epoxy , they use it for surfboards , eazy to test just poor a little acceton on it

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
Old 01-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #1189
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Good to see your talents at work again. Looking really nice.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200082
jugernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:39 PM   #1190
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Thanks for the follow-up Kevin...that's a very cool idea!!!

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:03 AM   #1191
Mike Bradbury

Maybe I missed it in an earlier post but can you explain the reason you modified your brake pedal?

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #1192
BlueJeep

Maybe you could use some thinner and remove the stenciling from the dynamat under the hood? That would make it look more like OEM.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #1193
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bradbury View Post
Maybe I missed it in an earlier post but can you explain the reason you modified your brake pedal?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=269717

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJeep View Post
Maybe you could use some thinner and remove the stenciling from the dynamat under the hood? That would make it look more like OEM.
I'm ok with it and at least I got it all facing the same way

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #1194
butternut1972

Glad to see you back. Looking good.
butternut1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #1195
watahyahknow

you might be able to get the ink of the dynamat with some thinner or aceton and a rag

Old 01-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #1196
Rokcrln

Well the rain stopped for an hour or so and that gave me just enough time to get a few more things done. I put on the new Alt. that has the correct plug for my harness as well as both exhaust manifolds off a 2000 or so camaro and they fit great! I was worried about the drivers side O2 sensor but it fits with about 1/8" gap to the engine mount/frame stand. The engine wiring is now hooked up and I am happy with how clean I was able to route everything. I still need to get a hold of the filter box and intake set up for a stock 05 PU then I can start figuring the rest out. I will be re-doing my brake lines so I can get rid of the factory proportioning valve and run a summit racing one instead that will mount to the firewall brace just below the booster and really clean things up. Then the battery will be on the drivers side and I will re-use the LS power cables and block. Almost forgot I was also able to get the park/neutral trans switch installed along with my Lokar linkage.

I was wanting to get more done but with the rain I started off in the shop trying to get things cleaned up but that only lasted so long before the "Squirrel" popped up and I was side tracked and tried my hand at some air brushing. I have only used my air brush kit once before when I was painting my Dads M.B. last year so even know I need hours of practice I was happy with the results.

So does anyone here have the stock air box and intake set up for a 04-07 truck that want to sell?

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #1197
Rokcrln

The rest of the pics for now.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #1198
Rokcrln

Some more progress! I am very happy with how the stock air intake and clutch fan are working out. It has taken lots of mods to make it all fit and look right but in the end it will be worth it. I still need to finish off the drivers side of the fan shroud so it is sealed to the radiator and pick up a 45* tube to hook up the Mas-air sensor. Then cut and re-crimp my A/C lines, finish wiring things up, re-do my brake lines to the new proportioning valve and fuel lines. More progress to come shortly.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rokcrln; 01-08-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:44 AM   #1199
mcbassin
Still Learning

It looks like you know what you're doing for sure! Man you are making this install look way too easy. I think someone has been doing his homework. Keep up the good work!

Last edited by mcbassin; 01-09-2011 at 02:44 AM.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #1200
Rokcrln

Time for the Cold Air Box set up. I will be blocking off the passenger front fender and pulling air through the radiator support. I started to build the box tonight and it is turning out well. The entire box assembly and the Filter box will be held in with plastic push-in style expansion screws. The bottom edge of the box will have a push on welting of some sort to finish off the seal but as it is right now very little engine compartment air would get in. Here are a few pics of the start of the system.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images