The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2011, 08:58 PM   #3726
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66ChevyMax View Post
Sorry to hear that Alan.
Thanks Brother!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
man, that dont sound good! sorry to hear about the hood alan, are you going to try to fix it or look for another hood??
Oh, I will fix and learn something along the way. It's just gonna add more time than I expected to get the hood done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 198plus View Post
You want have any problem fixing That
Quote:
Originally Posted by flips72 View Post
i agree with ronnie, you can do it, no problem.
Thanks for the vote of confidence guys!!

Based on the info at the time I thought it would be a good idea to get a good metal guy (old school) to repair it. He came highly recommended and no doubt has some good skills. He was very confident when he said he could fix it. Today I show up and could tell right off the bat it wasn't right. He told me yesterday that it was ready and he fixed some other areas as well that weren't related. I told him from the start to not worry about anything else but the ridges. I'm guessing he felt guilty because he knew he didn't fix the problem so he buttered it up by doing the other old damage. He even admitted today he was scared to do anything else where the ridges were. He worked with me on it while I was there and got a little more out. He was too busy trying to show a 69 Camaro to my coworker (it was nice). I grabbed the slapping file and did some by myself. He was cringing while I was doing it. He couldn't even watch. After it was all said and done he rubbed his hand on it and said that particular area feels better. Huhm.......I'm a green horn. I've got a lot to learn in this technique, but i will get it.

The other thing that I didn't understand was why did he run a 36 grit disc over it. The only thing I use 36 grit on is filler. Plus it makes it hard to feel the metal. I ran over the 36 scratches with a 8" bondo eater with 80 grit to smooth everything out. I would have left the dp90 alone so i could see and feel everything. I know I would eventually have to sand on it, but I would have used 80 grit.

Pics of non-progress
Attached Images

Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:19 PM   #3727
daverod
SSN 706

Must have thought he could sand it out. That's somthing I would try. So whats the plan now?
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #3728
Strodder
Daring to be Different

That sucks Alan. He really screwed that hood up.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!

[/COLOR]

I AM WE TODD IT, I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT
Strodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:40 PM   #3729
65Custom

I'm speechless, I don't know what to say.

My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=366677

I must be
65Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:53 AM   #3730
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
Must have thought he could sand it out. That's somthing I would try. So whats the plan now?
Beat it into shape. Trial and error style. I posted a pic of a slapping file I will use on the hood. I used one on my bedside and liked it. I also had decent results today using one on the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strodder View Post
That sucks Alan. He really screwed that hood up.
Trying not to get upset about it. I consider this a good learning experience not only shrinking metal on a big panel, but don't let anyone else mess up something that I can mess up myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Custom View Post
I'm speechless, I don't know what to say.
Join the crowd.

Trying to figure out the wiring to the wiper motor and switch. I can make it work like I have it wired in the pic, but how does the 2nd speed work? The yellow wire is a jumper, the green to ground/switch and the red on top is 12v. Don't mind the lower red wire. I think my 59 impala switch is fried. It only has continuity in one position. With the yellow jumper wire in place it is low speed. If I remove it it goes to high. How do I do that with a switch. I checked the FAQ and posted a pic below of the diagram. I'm not going to explain (confuse) anymore right now. I'll just wait to see what is said. While I do some more searching. I did bench check the motor with instructions off Bruces88 (I think) thread. It seemed to pass the test.
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2011, 02:45 AM   #3731
57truckguy

Alan, so sorry to hear about the hood... Heck I could have done that.. LOL 36 grit on a farely straight hood.. NOT in MY shop... I've seen ridges such as yours taken out with a shrinking hammer and file. takes a while but can be done... Check the net for videos of medal shrinking or get a copy of the medal working DVD from Eastwood. I hear it is pretty good...

Looks to me that the switch is history. Let me look in my pile of parts.. I might, I say Might, have one from a 57 sitting around.. I believe they are the same switch. Let me look as I know I put a new one in mine a few years ago. It came with a kit I bought for the windshield wipers.
57truckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:02 AM   #3732
56taskforce

Hey Alan sorry about your hood . I watched my cousin take the waves out of the side of a 66 Coronet with a torch and a cold wet rag but wow it looked like quite an art. I know that he is good at it because they painted that car black and it was straight as can be.
On the other hand the rest of the truck is coming along great.

Not to highjack your thread but most of the time I have spent on this board has been right here and I need to reach as many people here that may know me as I can. My email [Grant_Ensrud@msn.com] was hacked so it is no longer good. If you receive any mail from it, it is not me and you should block it.
I will change my profile for this reason as well. I also ask that the site monitors post warning about my old email address where it may do the most good. Sorry guys I amd not very computer savvy an just want to make sure no one gets hurt buy this scammer.
56taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:36 AM   #3733
57truckguy

Hey Alan, just your luck, the newest issue of Hot Rodding Mag has an article on shrinking dents and creases in medal.. Looks like it is just up your alley.. Just got my copy today.. the 24th. The article looks like it has all the info you might need.. By the way according to the article 36 grit was the correct one to use... Who Knew !! Check it out..
Old 12-25-2011, 09:18 AM   #3734
theastronaut

Alan, I'm posting from my phone so I can't really see how the hood is warped, but I've had great results using a shrinking disc on large, low crown areas. It would be easy to over-shrink an area with a torch/rag so I wouldn't recommend trying that. There are some good videos on YouTube showing how to shrink metal with a shrinking disc. A stud gun with a shrinking tip is also good for slower, more controlled shrinking. Hope you have a merry Christmas!
Posted via Mobile Device
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #3735
65Custom

Hey Alan!!

What year is the Windshield washer motor?

My Build Thread

I must be
Old 12-26-2011, 12:52 AM   #3736
Alan's Classic

Thanks guys, I'll post replies in my next post. Just wanted to say Merry Christmas to all my friends here. God Bless
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #3737
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Merry Christmas to you and your family too.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!

[/COLOR]

I AM WE TODD IT, I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT
Strodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #3738
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

hate to hear about the hood Alan...hope you get it worked out yourself, & i have faith that you will

My Build threads:
1966 Chevy C-10 "Black Betty"

shortbed, fleetside, BBW, 327 V8/ Powerglide (under construction)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=betty

1997 Chevy Tahoe, 2dr/2wd, mild custom (Daily driver)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=601142

Pics:
'66 C-10 https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHWD4h9
'97 Tahoe https://flic.kr/s/aHsjGZ7wKP
'93 C-1500 https://flic.kr/s/aHskxdpdnQ
'88 S-10 Blazer https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYGx4Md

Previous Rides:
1993 Chevy S-10 ext. cab, 4.3L, 4/5 drop (Sold)
1993 Chevy C-1500 short/step Retro-Rod (Sold)
1988 S-10 Blazer 2dr/2wd mild custom (Sold)
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:34 AM   #3739
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57truckguy View Post
Alan, so sorry to hear about the hood... Heck I could have done that.. LOL 36 grit on a farely straight hood.. NOT in MY shop... I've seen ridges such as yours taken out with a shrinking hammer and file. takes a while but can be done... Check the net for videos of medal shrinking or get a copy of the medal working DVD from Eastwood. I hear it is pretty good...

Looks to me that the switch is history. Let me look in my pile of parts.. I might, I say Might, have one from a 57 sitting around.. I believe they are the same switch. Let me look as I know I put a new one in mine a few years ago. It came with a kit I bought for the windshield wipers.
Thanks, did you locate a switch? Read on for the progress on the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56taskforce View Post
Hey Alan sorry about your hood . I watched my cousin take the waves out of the side of a 66 Coronet with a torch and a cold wet rag but wow it looked like quite an art. I know that he is good at it because they painted that car black and it was straight as can be.
On the other hand the rest of the truck is coming along great.
I'm not having to use heat yet.

Quote:
Hey Alan, just your luck, the newest issue of Hot Rodding Mag has an article on shrinking dents and creases in medal.. Looks like it is just up your alley.. Just got my copy today.. the 24th. The article looks like it has all the info you might need.. By the way according to the article 36 grit was the correct one to use... Who Knew !! Check it out..
Thanks for the headsup, I'll try to get a copy. I'll have to read the article first. I think 36 might work good in some areas, but not in this application on my hood. My opinion is it will remove too much metal which thins the metal and will create more problems. Just my .02.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
Alan, I'm posting from my phone so I can't really see how the hood is warped, but I've had great results using a shrinking disc on large, low crown areas. It would be easy to over-shrink an area with a torch/rag so I wouldn't recommend trying that. There are some good videos on YouTube showing how to shrink metal with a shrinking disc. A stud gun with a shrinking tip is also good for slower, more controlled shrinking. Hope you have a merry Christmas!
Posted via Mobile Device
I've always wanted to try a shrinking disc. Right now I'm having good luck with a slapping file. Thanks for the input.
Quote:
Hey Alan!!

What year is the Windshield washer motor?
I don't really know. It came with the truck and looks to be new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strodder View Post
Merry Christmas to you and your family too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by likaroc13 View Post
hate to hear about the hood Alan...hope you get it worked out yourself, & i have faith that you will
I'm gaining more faith in myself as I go. Thanks.

I've been snowed under at work this week, but was able to get 3.0 hrs on the hood last week. The peck marks are from the other guy. I've been using the slapping file and slowly playing with it to see what happens with some trail and error. With what I've learned I'm making it work. Wish I had done this from the start. Hindsight I guess I'm about half way done banging on it. I'm using 80 grit on a block to check for highs.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2011, 12:43 AM   #3740
niterider65

Cool Re: Project Vitamin C-10

keeping my fingers crossed alan its lookin good
take your time !! i know its a pain ..
niterider65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #3741
65Custom

Wow that looks so much better than what the other guy did, who was supposed to be a old school metal guy.

Alan don't ever doubt your skills it is obvious from the pics of what you have done that you have better skills and more knowledge of metal working that the other guy ever had

My Build Thread

I must be
Old 12-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #3742
57truckguy

alan, just spent the better part of an hour looking for the windshield wiper switch,, must have either put it where I wouldn't lose it or threw it out.. If I did that it was toast anyway.. sorry can't find it. I use an aftermarket switch from Napa and put the orginal nob on it.. looks real good.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:04 PM   #3743
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider65 View Post
keeping my fingers crossed alan its lookin good
take your time !! i know its a pain ..
Thanks, and it is very time consuming

Quote:
Wow that looks so much better than what the other guy did, who was supposed to be a old school metal guy.

Alan don't ever doubt your skills it is obvious from the pics of what you have done that you have better skills and more knowledge of metal working that the other guy ever had
Thanks, it is scary working on a part that is hard to come by in good condition. So far so good.

Quote:
alan, just spent the better part of an hour looking for the windshield wiper switch,, must have either put it where I wouldn't lose it or threw it out.. If I did that it was toast anyway.. sorry can't find it. I use an aftermarket switch from Napa and put the orginal nob on it.. looks real good.
Thanks for looking and the info.

Sneak peak of the seats.
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #3744
sdailey
The Few, The Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
Thanks, and it is very time consuming

Thanks, it is scary working on a part that is hard to come by in good condition. So far so good.

Thanks for looking and the info.

Sneak peak of the seats.

From what I see, they look AWESOME!!!!

With this latest hood fiasco you're well over due for some good fortune. Hopefully the seats put a smile on your face.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:54 PM   #3745
VeronikA

Alan I went thru your topic and have to say I love your story. The progress and all those pics you've shared with us talks itself. Thanks a lot for sharing! Great jot! Keep at it! And totally love your new shop! Looks beautiful!
VeronikA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #3746
VA72C10
VA72C10

Glad to see progress being made on the hood....and those seats...
Old 12-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #3747
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

That's not fair Alan!! You can't just give us a sneak peak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post

Sneak peak of the seats.

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:58 PM   #3748
chad64chevy

alan, hoods looking alot better!! i like the seats, i got a good idea, got the houndstooth in the middles?! got anymore of the wiring done?? thats about all you got left aint it, the hood, trim pieces, seats and a lil wiring?? anyways looking good
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #3749
McMurphy

Looks like your seats are going to accentuate your cab very well!
Happy for you man!!!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:48 PM   #3750
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdailey View Post
From what I see, they look AWESOME!!!!

With this latest hood fiasco you're well over due for some good fortune. Hopefully the seats put a smile on your face.
Thanks neighbor!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikA View Post
Alan I went thru your topic and have to say I love your story. The progress and all those pics you've shared with us talks itself. Thanks a lot for sharing! Great jot! Keep at it! And totally love your new shop! Looks beautiful!
Thanks for the kind words!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Glad to see progress being made on the hood....and those seats...
Thanks man. No time to work on the hood right now. Really busy at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_man5 View Post
That's not fair Alan!! You can't just give us a sneak peak!
I just did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
alan, hoods looking alot better!! i like the seats, i got a good idea, got the houndstooth in the middles?! got anymore of the wiring done?? thats about all you got left aint it, the hood, trim pieces, seats and a lil wiring?? anyways looking good
Thanks, and I haven't done much to the truck lately. With Christmas there wasn't much extra time.

I never got any input on the proper connections I need to make the wipers work. Oh yeah, I guess I need a good switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Looks like your seats are going to accentuate your cab very well!
Happy for you man!!!
Yeah, I'm very pleased so far with the seats. All i have done is pick them up and sit them in the shop. I haven't even sat in them yet.

Here's the full view. That's dust on the back of the seat, not scrapes.
Attached Images