The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
62 Barnfind

Interior color

I am getting close to decide what color to paint my interior. I can't decide if I want to go Brigade blue or the factor fawn metallic? I think I want to have a blue and white seat with black carpet. I like the contrast between the floor and the seat. The steering wheel and instrument cluster will be semi gloss white. If I decide I am thinking I can paint the interior I can put the front glass fuel tank and seat in and get it off the floor. Any opinions?
62 Barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
ABX131

Re: Interior color

I am in a similar predicament and I am having trouble deciding what to paint the interior. Can you guys post an interior shot from the driver's door showing the dash and door panel. It would be very helpful in having a visual of different color themes..Also was the two tone scheme standard or did they do single color?
ABX131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
jocko

I'm a BIG fan of the stock interior look on these trucks specifically. The fawn metallic and few other options there were are always classic-looking, and quite frankly, help the vehicle retain more value if you ever sell. Here's a pic you asked for from the stock side. Someone on here once mentioned that my panel wasn't painted correctly - that the ring should be fawn and everything inside that ring should be off-white. I've seen it that way in a few as well - I'm not sure which scheme is correct, but anyway, here's how mine is, correct or not. If I ever re-do the truck, I'll probably do a little research and see if I can find the answer, but for now, not worried about it too much (although I appreciate it when folks point stuff like that out to me - I actually do).

Anyway, all different paint ideas are good/interesting, but I don't think I could ever be swayed from the original look - it's quite classic in my pea barin. If you want custom, what about the original colors, but re-do it with nice materials? Leather, etc? Might be an idea, but would probably get expensive and may look lousy when done.
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
oem4me

I'm with Jocko. The factory fawn looks good with anything, and not just because it's original. Been there and done that with the interior color
change and never going back. The wrong color can make your truck look cheap or cheesy or both.
Oh, and Jocko - your door panel is correct for '66. the treatment flip-flopped between 64-66 a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
I'm a BIG fan of the stock interior look on these trucks specifically. The fawn metallic and few other options there were are always classic-looking, and quite frankly, help the vehicle retain more value if you ever sell. Here's a pic you asked for from the stock side. Someone on here once mentioned that my panel wasn't painted correctly - that the ring should be fawn and everything inside that ring should be off-white. I've seen it that way in a few as well - I'm not sure which scheme is correct, but anyway, here's how mine is, correct or not. If I ever re-do the truck, I'll probably do a little research and see if I can find the answer, but for now, not worried about it too much (although I appreciate it when folks point stuff like that out to me - I actually do).

Anyway, all different paint ideas are good/interesting, but I don't think I could ever be swayed from the original look - it's quite classic in my pea barin. If you want custom, what about the original colors, but re-do it with nice materials? Leather, etc? Might be an idea, but would probably get expensive and may look lousy when done.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #5
ABX131

I am not sure what the original color was. I see at least 3 different colors....Chevelle Blue is what it is now and there is red and white layers of paint underneath. The title says red but I think the white was first.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
corvettejim1968

here is all the interior pics i have.

https://coolc10.com/
corvettejim1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
ABX131

I tend to agree, I like the simple classic (somewhat stock) appearance. The copper color seemed to be very common. I really like Aerotruck 63' silver and white but my kid has been on me about it....You guys have some sweet rides!
Old 04-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
theastronaut

I like 'em the way they were. The color is 2003 Nissan Sunlit Sand, code EVO. We did tint it slightly "browner" to get a better match to the original Fawn Poly. It's Spies Hecker basecoat reduced 50%, then added 15% hardener to the total volume. No clear was sprayed over it; this way it has the correct color and sheen, and the hardener helps with durability.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #9
jocko

thanks for clarifying for me oem4me - I was kinda wondering about my paint scheme on the doors. Oddly, about an hour after I posted that, I drove by the local home depot and a 65 3/4 tonner was for sale in the lot - so of course I stopped. It had the solid off white inner panel paint, kinda confirming that scheme was available earlier, so I was thinking mine might be correct.

And by the way, this beige (or off white, couldn't really tell) 65 C20 had the elusive "red seat"...

EDIT: Oops, almost forgot why I was posting, one note for 62 barnfind - one thing you probably won't want to do is paint your dash like mine (doors/inner cab, etc, maybe, but not the dashboard). The darker brown krinkle finish is a 66-only thing. 65 and earlier had the dash painted to match the rest of the interior (fawn or nickel) and same smoothe texture.

BTW, here's a related thread that helped me. Krylon Champagne Nouveau, or whatever you call it, seems to be a close Fawn match.
Walmart Chevy interior colors! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=482704

And here is some EXCELLENT gouge on interior paint from Tony Smith over at Stovebolt (this is about the fawn colors only for 60-66):
1960-1966 Chevy Truck Interior Paint Color Summary

Medium Fawn: 60% gloss
DuPont: #9171-L
Ditzler: #DL-22571
Rinshed-Mason: #65B84

Dark Fawn: 0% Gloss
DuPont: #9202-L
Ditzler: #DIA 22568

Light Fawn: 60% gloss
DuPont: #9170-L
Ditzler: #DL22569

Medium Saddle: 60% gloss
DuPont: #4626-L
Ditzler: #DL-22570
Rinshed-Mason: #65B83

Dark Saddle: 0% Gloss
DuPont: #9199-L
Ditzler: #DIA-13010

The Saddles are from 1965 and the Fawns are the same for 1965 and 1966.

In 1966, the interior was two colors, with the Medium Fawn or Dark Fawn on the dash panel & steering column, with Light Fawn on all other interior surfaces

Last edited by jocko; 04-08-2012 at 10:10 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #10
yelmer

i used paint from tri city paint it was a laq. paint med fawn and dark fawn on the dash the also used a flating agent small amount to cut the glare
Attached Images

yelmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #11
62 Barnfind

Thanks for all your responses. I read some tread about interior paint and found this product being used. It is a little browner than the Krylon Champagne Nouveau. I just don't remember what tread i found it in.
62 Barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #12
MisterC

Reviving this thread. I may have an opportunity to move up the painting of my truck and I'd like to see some factory interiors of 60-61 with the silver/charcoal.

I'm not sold on staying with the fawn, so I'm looking at other "factory" options, albeit from a different year.
350 V-8 - Powerglide

My not so much a build thread as a "Slow Progression Thread":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486894
MisterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #13
rcrahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
Reviving this thread. I may have an opportunity to move up the painting of my truck and I'd like to see some factory interiors of 60-61 with the silver/charcoal.

I'm not sold on staying with the fawn, so I'm looking at other "factory" options, albeit from a different year.

I am looking at this interior color for our 67....I really like it..
Attached Images

rcrahn is offline   Reply With Quote