The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
waspp

window sweeps issues

Just putting my doors together and I am having issues with the window sweeps.I bought the parts at classic and everything has been good until now. The sweeps didn't want to snap into the slots and then when I finally got them in the metal part of the door that holds the glass hits the sweep and won't allow the window to close completely. Are there any alternatives out there?
waspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
luvbowties

Question Re: window sweeps issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by waspp View Post
Just putting my doors together and I am having issues with the window sweeps.I bought the parts at classic and everything has been good until now. The sweeps didn't want to snap into the slots and then when I finally got them in the metal part of the door that holds the glass hits the sweep and won't allow the window to close completely. Are there any alternatives out there?
I'm confused. Unless: Are you saying the lower part of the glass 'frame' is what hits the sweeps as glass is raised? If so, you may gain clearance by adjusting the lower part of glass either inward or outward--whichever angles the bottom away from the side that hits a sweep. Also, ensure the metal[with-slots that sweeps snap into] is bent so as to angle sweeps 'away' from glass-frames rather than angled 'into' the glass-frame. Please let us know more.
sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
themouth1

Re: window sweeps issues

I think what he means is the metal frame that holds the glass on the bottom of the window is hitting the window sweeps when the window is raised to the top. It is not allowing the window to close all the way because the metal obviously shouldn't go between the sweeps. Is this what you meant?
themouth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
waspp

Quote:
Originally Posted by themouth1 View Post
I think what he means is the metal frame that holds the glass on the bottom of the window is hitting the window sweeps when the window is raised to the top. It is not allowing the window to close all the way because the metal obviously shouldn't go between the sweeps. Is this what you meant?
Yes, the metal on the bottom of the window glass hits the window sweeps on both sides. The clips also don't seem to holding very well so I may remove the clips and try some double stick tape. lovebowties idea may be worth a try, I wondered if the metal with the slots was bent out when removing the old sweeps.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
luvbowties

Question Re: window sweeps issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by waspp View Post
Yes, the metal on the bottom of the window glass hits the window sweeps on both sides. The clips also don't seem to holding very well so I may remove the clips and try some double stick tape. lovebowties idea may be worth a try, I wondered if the metal with the slots was bent out when removing the old sweeps.

Since it may not be clear at this point whether the frame at bottom of glass was ever intended to go between the sweeps, it my be a simple matter of reseating the glass shallower in the metal grips, effectively raising/increasing the unclad part of the glass. IIRC, the glass is held into place inside this lower frame-channel with a piece of folded fabric; and if this fabric is too thin on its bottom , it may allow channel to ride up too far on the bottom of the glass, leaving exposed part of glass too short to close fully before frame hits sweeps. Also, if glass was cut 'too short' in the last 45+/- years.....May work by re-inserting glass with some sort of spacer between bottom of glass & bottom of channel.
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:30 PM   #6
donthekawguy

Mine does the same thing. So bad that it broke off a few of the clips and bent the sweep right in the middle. When I had the door apart the glass came out of the frame and now it's like it rolls up too far and the frame hits the sweep so I know your pain.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:32 PM   #7
donthekawguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbowties View Post
Since it may not be clear at this point whether the frame at bottom of glass was ever intended to go between the sweeps, it my be a simple matter of reseating the glass shallower in the metal grips, effectively raising/increasing the unclad part of the glass. IIRC, the glass is held into place inside this lower frame-channel with a piece of folded fabric; and if this fabric is too thin on its bottom , it may allow channel to ride up too far on the bottom of the glass, leaving exposed part of glass too short to close fully before frame hits sweeps. Also, if glass was cut 'too short' in the last 45+/- years.....May work by re-inserting glass with some sort of spacer between bottom of glass & bottom of channel.
I'm not sure this would work because the groove where the glass sits is only about 1/8 deep so the glass has to be pushed in as much as possible to stay in the frame. I think!
Old 10-22-2012, 03:41 AM   #8
gmcdeadhead

i have to buy new sweeps for my windows , is there any good ones i should looking to buy?
gmcdeadhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
themouth1

I have the same issue...in wait and see mode...
Posted via Mobile Device
themouth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
UK62LW

Quote:
Originally Posted by themouth1 View Post
I have the same issue...in wait and see mode...
Posted via Mobile Device
Likewise - was going to try and reshape the sweeps to allow clearance; my windows pull up about 1" short of seating home

1962 Chevy C20
1974 Ford Econoline
1987 Peugeot 205 GTi
1991 Peugeot 205 GTi
UK62LW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #11
68JOHNDEERE

The window sweeps perform a couple of functions. First to keep the big stuff from getting into the cavity of the door. Second they provide support to the door glass when rolling up and down, and when slamming the door. The bottom door glass channel should not come up into the sweep area, it will come close. If the door glasses are original to the truck the there is an alignment issue with the metal lip the sweep mounts to. It may have to be adjusted away from the glass.
68JOHNDEERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #12
m455sx

The frame supporting the glass on mine comes up in between the sweeps as well. I am planning on redoing all my weatherstrip replacement this winter. Can anyone post photos?? Also my glass seems to be original as you can see scratches from over the years.

1970 442 convertible
1970 Cutlass SX
1962 Chevy Stepside
2011 GMC 3500HD Crewcab SLT DRW
m455sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #13
64fleetside

The clips are positioned wrong on the repro sweeps.
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #14
theastronaut

The channel went up between the sweeps on the '65 I restored. We put the channel back on the new glass with the same thickness glass tape as the original, and the glass was cut using the old glass as a pattern. Did you make sure that the metal that the clips fastened into is straight? It's sometimes bent in, making it impossible to seat the clips.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #15
waspp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64fleetside View Post
The clips are positioned wrong on the repro sweeps.
This is what i suspected as well. When the sweep was installed the top edge sat well below the top edge of the door, I removed the clips and bent the tabs in a bit on the door and installed the sweep with double stick tape and the window seems to roll all the way up and clear the sweep. I don't know if this a permanent solution...we'll see.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #16
gmcdeadhead

where can you buy a good set of sweeps , i don't mind spending extra money if there's better ones out here.
gmcdeadhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #17
m455sx

i checked both doors and both of my windows come up into the sweeps. passenger door sweeps have plastic slide in clips that hold the sweeps and driver door sweeps have metal tabs folded downward hold them. needless to say but passenger side fits better. I will post pix tomorrow.

1970 442 convertible
1970 Cutlass SX
1962 Chevy Stepside
2011 GMC 3500HD Crewcab SLT DRW
m455sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #18
61 son of a Gun

I've done this many times . I break off the clips on the sweeps and position the sweep where it best fits ,with the clip gone you are not limited to where it sits. drill some small holes and screw them on . These seem to work best.
Attached Images

rear end on a Plymouth work?

It just does.
61 son of a Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #19
61 son of a Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcdeadhead View Post
where can you buy a good set of sweeps , i don't mind spending extra money if there's better ones out here.
Steele has good stuff.

http://www.steelerubber.com/
rear end on a Plymouth work?

It just does.
61 son of a Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #20
Lloyd C.

Gotta weigh in on this window sweeps discussion. I've been working on and off (mostly off) on a 66 C-10 "project" that my son purchased about five years ago. I've finally reached the final assembly stage and attempted to install the Brand-X sweeps that came with the truck. Experienced many of the same problems described by other members, ie: difficulty of installation, sweeps end up slightly too low, windows won't roll all the way up, etc, etc. Determined to solve this mystery, today I strolled in to All American Classics in Vancouver, WA looking for some help. I asked to look at their best quality sweeps to compare with the Brand-X sweep I had with me. BINGO! They showed me a set of "Repops" which had much sturdier clips that are also mounted lower on the sweep. This concurs with 64fleetside's theory, should result in the sweeps flushing out with the window sill and allow the window to roll all the way up. I plan to install the new sweeps tomorrow, so stay tuned. If any one is interested, these are manufactured in the USA by Montco Mfg of Mena, Arkansas and are marketed under the brand name "Repops". Part No. for 64-66 C-10 is CT160 I purchased mine at All American Classics of Vancouver, WA Ph #: (800) 955-4999
Lloyd C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:11 AM   #21
62 short step

Subscribed

1965 c-10
86 chevy c/k 20
62 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #22
chevyguys
I Got it BAD!

Bought my first set from LMC. The felts were stuck on with a tar like substance, not pinched into the top and bottom lip. Ended up getting a great set of repop's as mentioned above. Fit perfect!
Old 01-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #23
K98AL

Angry Re: window sweeps issues

I'm about to buy my second set of window felt/seals...I screwed up the first ones.

I am missing some of the metal "u-shaped" clips that hold the channel into the door. Anyone know a good source for these?
K98AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #24
travz500

gonna keep a watch on this one
travz500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #25
Lloyd C.

I concur with the astronauts post back in October that the channel on the bottom of the window is supposed to go up between the sweeps when the window is all the way up. I suspect that over time, the sheet metal flanges that the sweeps snap in to, get bent inward which causes all this interference I've been reading about. Therefore, before installing the new "Repops" brand sweeps, I made sure the flanges were bent slightly outward and my son's windows roll all the way up. However, I have found installing these sweeps on the 60-66 trucks is a real pain compared to those on my 68. No wonder they re-designed them.
Lloyd C. is offline   Reply With Quote