The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2016, 11:48 AM   #1
nastety92

Bagged Suburban Owners, questions?

So I'm in the market for a C10 2wd Suburban. I would like to eventually put full air ride suspension in the truck and lay it out either completely or most of the way. I love the look of a Suburban with the bumper/ fender laying on the ground when the truck is off.

My question is, how reliable is a bagged/ lowered truck like that to drive? I'd like to take the family on vacation in this vehicle, take it all around the Northeast, I live in MA. I've never owned anything that was low like that and just wondering what I have to look forward to.

Thanks,
Nick
nastety92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:46 AM   #2
BaggedBurban

Re: Bagged Suburban Owners, questions?

Full air ride done properly will offer the reliability you are seeking. My 72 is bagged, given my system is near 10yrs old I do experience a slow leak here and there within the distribution block fittings. Easily fixed, but if you are going all new or auto level you can't go wrong.

I think your biggest concern will probably be if you don't go with an electronic leveling system you will always need to pay attention to how low your front end is so you don't buckle a fender when turning.
BaggedBurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:57 AM   #3
nastety92

Thanks for the reply. I really love the fully laid out look but I might end up going as low as I can do without cutting the rear floor. We will see what happens After I get a vehicle.

Nick
Old 08-06-2016, 12:26 AM   #4
BaggedBurban

You will be surprised how low you can go without cutting the floor.

I can barely fit my foot under the front/back bumper and again floors are uncut.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:36 AM   #5
nastety92

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggedBurban View Post
You will be surprised how low you can go without cutting the floor.

I can barely fit my foot under the front/back bumper and again floors are uncut.
Thanks for the reply. Do you have any pics you can share and can you tell me what you have done to lower the truck front and rear?

Nick
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-06-2016, 04:46 PM   #6
BaggedBurban

Getting you pictures is not something I can do it this time just because of issues with my phone. You can pretty much find out anywhere online all of the steps you will need to do to lower your Burb. Just throwing some things out there right off the bat, drop spindles, drop shocks, C-notch the rear frame, lowering blocks for rear suspension. Not to mention you will have to cut out your entire front fender wells and remove multiple things in the engine compartment because of how high up the tires will sit to the hood. And then of course one of the last things would be the entire air ride suspension kit.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:21 PM   #7
72MARIO

Check out my build
Attached Images

1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD

Last edited by 72MARIO; 08-07-2016 at 05:33 PM.
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:02 PM   #8
sbrban

I've had air ride on my burb since 2002. I haven't had to replace anything bag,lines or valve wise. I did replace a tank 2 years ago, it developed a pinhole.
I did "upgrade" the system to all digital last summer...and had the computer module melt on me with less than 400 miles on it. ART warrantied it out but I'm still cautious of it now. Bag,lines, valves etc still work well though.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:58 AM   #9
98L150
///Relaxed Atmosphere

my 72 Suburban has had air ride since 2002 and have only had to replace a pressure switch about 2 years ago and that is it. haven't had any problems with mine. I just recommend using good quality parts and don't go cheep on the components. I decide to do a full chassis upgrade and am installing all Porterbuilt suspension on mine right now. Here a few progress pics of it and a pics of it before I tore it down for the suspension upgrades.
Attached Images

2012 Chevy Avalanche
2003 Chevy S10 Blazer Xtreme
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/RA_Jeff
64 Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=295915
98L150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:36 PM   #10
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98L150 View Post
my 72 Suburban has had air ride since 2002 and have only had to replace a pressure switch about 2 years ago and that is it. haven't had any problems with mine. I just recommend using good quality parts and don't go cheep on the components. I decide to do a full chassis upgrade and am installing all Porterbuilt suspension on mine right now. Here a few progress pics of it and a pics of it before I tore it down for the suspension upgrades.
Still looks great after 14 years!
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:25 PM   #11
nastety92

Quote:
Thanks for the reply 98L150. Can you tell us what components that you use and do you have any pictures of your rear floor?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 08-24-2016, 03:48 PM   #12
98L150
///Relaxed Atmosphere

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastety92 View Post
Thanks for the reply 98L150. Can you tell us what components that you use and do you have any pictures of your rear floor?

Thanks,
Nick
Nick I use Firestone airbags, air ride technologies electric valves, Viar compressors, Porterbuilt Xtreme front and rear kit. the floor will be done in 3/4" plywood like it came from the factory, but will be put in last once I get the fuel line and electrical all routed(hopefully this weekend ) the floor structure idea came from BruinD as he did the similar set up on his suburban.
Attached Images

2012 Chevy Avalanche
64 Build Thread
Old 08-24-2016, 03:50 PM   #13
nastety92

That looks great and thanks for all of the info. From what I read online you can go fairly low in the rear without cutting the rear floor. I'd like to go as low as possible without cutting the rear floor since I would like the option of having all three rows of seats in the truck.

Thanks again,
Nick
Old 08-24-2016, 03:59 PM   #14
98L150
///Relaxed Atmosphere

Quote:

Thanks,
Nick
Quote:
That looks great and thanks for all of the info. From what I read online you can go fairly low in the rear without cutting the rear floor. I'd like to go as low as possible without cutting the rear floor since I would like the option of having all three rows of seats in the truck.

Thanks again,
Nick
Here is a pic when it was c-notched in the rear, with a 1-1/2 lowering block and a small whole under my 3rd row seat that was covered with a small dome piece to allow the center section of the rearend pumpkin come up a little hire and give me a lower ride height and not let the rearend hit the floor at lower ride height. also need to look at your exhaust. I have mine completely tucked up in the frame as it will draw and scrape if you don't.
Attached Images

2012 Chevy Avalanche
64 Build Thread
Old 08-24-2016, 04:03 PM   #15
nastety92

Thanks for those pics as well. That's great, I'd like to go that low and stop there. Someday. I guess I need to buy a truck first??
Old 08-24-2016, 05:12 PM   #16
Twisted78SS
Wide n'Low

A shot of mine with uncut floor and no drive train.. still fairly low

c-notch and bags w/Accuair
Twisted78SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:54 PM   #17
nastety92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted78SS View Post
A shot of mine with uncut floor and no drive train.. still fairly low
c-notch and bags w/Accuair
Looks good. I'm glad the truck can go that low without cutting the floor.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2022, 05:54 PM   #18
ccahoon

what wheel ant tire size are you running here?

Quote:
Here is a pic when it was c-notched in the rear, with a 1-1/2 lowering block and a small whole under my 3rd row seat that was covered with a small dome piece to allow the center section of the rearend pumpkin come up a little hire and give me a lower ride height and not let the rearend hit the floor at lower ride height. also need to look at your exhaust. I have mine completely tucked up in the frame as it will draw and scrape if you don't.
ccahoon is offline   Reply With Quote