The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2022, 07:29 PM   #1
cab4word67

Re: Make it handle

Guys I have leafs in my 67 and lowered 5-1/2" ft and into the C notch tell I almost hit on the rear. My truck will go around 50mph corners at 75mph and the back wont even break loose, street corners the same. What kinda 'G's do you think Im pulling?
Next week we are adding the caster mod and the bump steer mod.
Just a 1-1/4 ft sway bar and viking shocks, oh and cheap tires.
cab4word67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 09:38 PM   #2
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab4word67 View Post
Guys I have leafs in my 67 and lowered 5-1/2" ft and into the C notch tell I almost hit on the rear. My truck will go around 50mph corners at 75mph and the back wont even break loose, street corners the same. What kinda 'G's do you think Im pulling?
Next week we are adding the caster mod and the bump steer mod.
Just a 1-1/4 ft sway bar and viking shocks, oh and cheap tires.
What are the wheels/tires?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 12:08 AM   #3
cab4word67

275/40x20 rr, 255/35x20 ft all Amazon Fullway HP108s. They may be cheap but they sure do grab
cab4word67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 08:13 AM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab4word67 View Post
275/40x20 rr, 255/35x20 ft all Amazon Fullway HP108s. They may be cheap but they sure do grab
I'd say if you're not running high-end sticky rubber with </= 200 tread wear rating, they're not sticky enough to grab & hold beyond a .8x G. I bet it feels like it is >.8 simply because of where it was/what a typical truck can do.

High end G's are recorded & possible in controlled/maintained track surface environments. Not so much on the state/city maintained road surfaces.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Last edited by SCOTI; 08-29-2022 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-29-2022, 03:57 PM   #5
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I'd say if you're not running high-end sticky rubber with </= 200 tread wear rating, they're not sticky enough to grad & hold beyond a .8x G. I bet it feels like it is >.8 simply because of where it was/what a typical truck can do.

High end G's are recorded & possible in controlled/maintained track surface environments. Not so much on the state/city maintained road surfaces.
Those are 380 treadwear, I would think that .80, maybe .85 is all they're good for with normal truck suspension.

As far as old cars/trucks go, I've only seen lateral grip test results posted by Mark Stielow's "Jackass 2.0" Camaro that does 1.15g on 200tw BF Goodrich Rival tires. A thing to note about modern 200tw tires- they're labeled 200tw just to pass class rules, they're much stickier than traditional 100tw track tires. So going by treadwear isn't a good indication of how much grip a tire will have.

Here is a list of cars and the amount of grip they have for comparison.

https://fastestlaps.com/lists/top-grip-kings
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 04:10 PM   #6
Custom 68

Just to add to this as well, when folks like Stielow are recording the "Gs" they would be done on a skidpad that is setup specifically to measure this as a sustained reading. At least that was years ago.
With the sophisticated equipment they will monitor the course and can pull off the Gs as well.
It does sound like your truck is working well and makes you happy when you drive it. I say that is a win regardless of Gs. keep enjoying it.
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 08:58 PM   #7
cjohnson6772

For a street driven c10 what is the recommended compression travel for the front end before contacting the bump stops? Front of the truck is approximately 2000 lbs. Front spring is moog 6542 with 842 lb/in spring rate.

Thanks in advance.
cjohnson6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 11:34 PM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnson6772 View Post
For a street driven c10 what is the recommended compression travel for the front end before contacting the bump stops? Front of the truck is approximately 2000 lbs. Front spring is moog 6542 with 842 lb/in spring rate.

Thanks in advance.
I like as much as I can get.

3" of travel is always my target. Of course there's limitations depending on individuals set-ups so you gotta work within those.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-29-2022, 11:39 PM   #9
SCOTI

Deleted.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 08-30-2022 at 01:31 AM.
Old 08-29-2022, 11:52 PM   #10
theastronaut

On the subject of bump stops… I like progressive rate bump stops, I use them on my autocross car to increase the spring rate as the body rolls but they’re still soft enough to absorb bumps. Then have a traditional harder stop to keep the suspension from bottoming out. This lets you have a softer spring for ride quality and compliance but still have firmer cornering once the body rolls a bit. I leave about 1” of free travel before the soft bump stop engages. It also lets you use softer sway bars so the suspension is more independent side to side. You don’t want a super hard bump stop to limit travel either, hitting a hard bump stop in the middle of cornering hard can cause the tire/truck to skip sideways.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote