The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #26
brawley
Easy Does It

Re: Hub caps on truck question

thanks for the great work, nice to have options instead of the standard center caps on these wheels.
brawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #27
brawley
Easy Does It

have you had any trouble mounting the Nissan wheels on these trucks ? are the hub dia. and lug pattern the right size?
Old 11-07-2011, 05:55 PM   #28
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
It always irked me that the only option was to order wheel vintiques or others and spend a lot of money. The clips that I had found on all the chevrolet part websites were just a little pricey so I thought we should find a reasonable alternative...........and now we have. It looks like the nissan titan wheels really have a steep angle on them......you might want to look to the clips I used, or the 2 types which are also listed on the iowa80.com website and see which one works the best.

here is a link to those clips that look to me like they may handle that steep angle and they are priced right.

http://www.iowa80.com/DirectionsWEB/...%28Set+of+6%29

If you will scroll down to the recently viewed items you will see the available alternatives.
I'll be using trimmed down moon disc to cover up the centers (just the center, not the rim) to make them look like smoothies, and then mounting the clips/caps on top of the moon disc. The angle won't be problem with the slight dome of the moon disc. Thanks for checking on those other clips though, it may help someone else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brawley View Post
have you had any trouble mounting the Nissan wheels on these trucks ? are the hub dia. and lug pattern the right size?

The offset is all wrong for the rear. Haven't got as far as checking the front yet but I think they'll have too much inward offset. They tuck inside too much on the rear and hit the inside of the fenderwell, or if you cut the centers out and flip the rims, they stick out too much and hit the bedside. The center bore is too small and needs to be opened up to fit over the hubs. I'm looking into pressed centers like the offroad guys use to get my backspacing corrected, which means I'll only be using the 18x8 rim from the Titan if that works. I want 18'' smoothies but they're either a ton of work to make newer truck wheels fit and look right, or super expensive to buy a set from Wheel Vintiques, around $1200 bucks plus shipping. Since it looks like I'll have to use pressed centers to get the offsett right, I could have chosen any size rim I wanted and had a center made to fit. Live and learn...

This is what they look like stock, there's way too much backspacing. The pic I posted earlier is with the center cut out and the rim flipped.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #29
PAPA KENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
ok here we go----simple hub cap mounting system for rallye wheels:

1. Parts needed----grote steel insulated wiring clips part # 84-7018

Attachment 824278

i had these so do not remember how much they cost but i think about .50 each

2. We centered the hubcap on the wheel then traced the outline of the hub cap on the wheel, backed off about 3/16" and installed the clips.

Attachment 824279

hoping above all that it would work..........................

3. Tried a 1957 chevy hubcap first---------------and it worked

Attachment 824280

would rather be lucky than good...... Wheel only with cap and trim ring

4. 57 chrome hubcap with tire

Attachment 824281

i think it looks good, just think what it will look like on a truck and the wheel painted to match the truck

5. Wheel tire, trim ring , and a painted hubcap

Attachment 824282

now we just have to try it driving down the road but i will tell you it feels very solid and after it is installed it is hard to get the hubcap off since it is held in place by 4 clips..........when i removed it the first time it bent one of the clips back, then all you have to do is push it back in place. I think since the load will be centrifical (out ward) that the clips will work just fine, if not we could weld them in place kieth
that is the best idea that i've seen yet!thanks!
PAPA KENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #30
kieth

I just ordered 3 full sets of spring clips of differing sizes and shapes, will let you guys know what works the best with different wheels. Kieth

Oh well just to verify that brothers and all the other supply houses were crazy i.e. price shows on brothers website qty 1 47 - 63 spring clips 9.99 each...

When I called in to check that pricing they are 9.99 for a set of 20...............wow did I feel stupid.....but at least we know now.....tried to place the order and the freight was 11.20 kind of wierd when the freight is higher than the product......???

Last edited by kieth; 11-08-2011 at 04:43 PM.
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #31
J.Cagle

Very cool. I may have to try this on my 5 lug ralleys!
Old 11-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #32
kieth

Just to let you guys know I do not think these grote clips are going to work over the long run, as we take the hub cap off and on they have started to move around a lot and the metal is kind of soft....so I think the hub cap springs from brothers look to be the best deal if we can figure out how to beat the 11.00 freight.......I will call and talk with them about the freight. and advise........Kieth

h
ere is a link to the 47 to 63 hub cap clips.....

http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodin...number=HCRC066

talked to mike at Brothers by adding a note to the comments section on the order they will ship them 1st class mail for 4.50 thats a little better....

Last edited by kieth; 11-08-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #33
J.Cagle

Its worth the $11 shipping to me if it saves me from having to search around for wheels lol
Old 11-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #34
kieth

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Cagle View Post
Its worth the $11 shipping to me if it saves me from having to search around for wheels lol
I updated my other post now it is only 4.50 if you request first class mail in the notes section.......when you place the order.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:06 AM   #35
brawley
Easy Does It

im assuming these clips will work for any aftermarket hub caps ? just have to figure out location for the best hold.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #36
kieth

Quote:
Originally Posted by brawley View Post
im assuming these clips will work for any aftermarket hub caps ? just have to figure out location for the best hold.

I do not know about it fitting everything but the stock ones on a 64-66 or a 57 chevy poverty hub cap --- they do work for those.....you have to have a donor wheel to work with for experimenting------- The Nissan wheels someone else posted may work but the angle and the diameter of the center are quite different that the stock chevrolet rallye wheels---and when I say rallye wheels I mean the pick up, van, 4x4 wheels that came on later model gm and chevy trucks (true car rallye wheels have oval shaped slots where truck wheels have the small rectangular slots). Kieth

I did order the other types of clips so we could experiment with other wheels , if the center is larger and the angle steeper it will require a different style clip....Hope that makes everything as clear as mud.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #37
hfcarolina

I would like to try this method but need a set of chrome dog dish for a 62-63, anyone got a set? thanks
hfcarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:34 PM   #38
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

It's 61-63. I have 3 NOS painted and 1 clean used painted.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #39
1963c-10

Im running 74-up blazer jimmy wheels on my 63 w/factory hubcaps and trim rings. I had to go to later style stock steel wheels for the backspacing over the disk brakes on the front
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #40
kieth

Just a update, I ordered $100.00 worth of hub cap clips to try all the variations and figure out which ones work the best......So far nothing has worked as well as the grote clips. But the Grote clips seem to have one drawback, since they are not spring steel they bend when the hubcap is removed.
We are trying a couple of other options to see if we can make the clips we purchased work properly on the truck rallye wheels (it's crazy the angle on the face of the wheels can vary a lot and that angle along with the diameter of the hub determines whether the clip is going to work properly.

We will post pictures of the ones we feel will work soon. Kieth
Old 11-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #41
1963c-10

Why not go to a later model steel rim that is made for the hubcaps? Is it the rim design that you want to keep (the ralleys)? Or is it backspacing due to disk brakes?
Old 11-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #42
kieth

Just a update, I ordered $100.00 worth of hub cap clips to try all the variations and figure out which ones work the best......So far nothing has worked as well as the grote clips. But the Grote clips seem to have one drawback, since they are not spring steel they bend when the hubcap is removed.
We are trying a couple of other options to see if we can make the clips we purchased work properly on the truck rallye wheels (it's crazy the angle on the face of the wheels can vary a lot and that angle along with the diameter of the hub determines whether the clip is going to work properly.

We will post pictures of the ones we feel will work soon. Kieth
Old 11-17-2011, 10:13 AM   #43
kieth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
Why not go to a later model steel rim that is made for the hubcaps? Is it the rim design that you want to keep (the ralleys)? Or is it backspacing due to disk brakes?

One can find rallye wheels in lots of widths, set backs, and lug patterns, I bought some the other day for $ 9.00 each........The wide 6 lug pattern standards that will take a hub cap are nearly impossible to find, so we are trying to make our trucks look nice and not spend a lot of money. Kieth

Old 11-17-2011, 12:22 PM   #44
1963c-10

Yeah, the 6lug steel rims are getting tougher to find. I have two and am looking for 3 more. Usually on 74-87 4x4, jimmys, burbs, blazers and some vans.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
Old 11-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #45
kieth

We are getting ready to do a pretty much stock build on a 66 lwb fleetside custom big back window factory air truck, want to use these wheels on the rear and maybe the front.

I want to use them with these 57 chevy poverty caps and maybe no beauty ring..........

they are not painted yet....

Name:  6lugwide01.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  33.7 KB

Name:  6lugwide02.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  38.1 KB
Old 11-18-2011, 12:13 PM   #46
1963c-10

That looks pretty good. Whats it look like with the rings?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
Old 11-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #47
kieth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
That looks pretty good. Whats it look like with the rings?

It looks nice....
Old 11-23-2012, 01:59 AM   #48
rod1701

I just recently joined and have been lurking reading up on this hub cap problem. Looks like I'm not the only one in this boat who wants to run truck rallys but wants the police style/moon cap. I have 1970 suburban 2wd 6-lug 4-wheel drums and running 70s style 4x4 6-lug rallys.

Just want to bounce this off you guys. I am wondering if it would work to bend the tabs 90 degrees and tac weld the clips to the back side of the baby moon style cap in the center and use some old, pitted, blemished center caps (the 4x4 open hub style). So that the spring clips would hold on the inside of the open hubs. Not sure if this would be enough to grab on to or if there would be a clearance issue with height of centers and depth of cap. Also not sure how well it would hold on while driving. If this would work it would prevent drilling, welding, or damaging original rallys and could recycle some pretty bad and otherwise useless centers.

But if not, I like the idea that srziemkowski had to use a later model center. Cheaper, less hassle, and still pretty unique.

Last edited by rod1701; 11-23-2012 at 02:15 AM.
rod1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #49
factorystock

There are 2 types of factory truck hubcaps for 61 thru 68 Chevy 1/2 tons. The bump style and the clip style. I see a 65 Chevy pickup hubcap, but there are not photos of the back side. What style is being used here? Style #1 , back side measures approx 10 1/4", Style # 2, back side measure approx 7 1/2".
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #50
theastronaut

Early VW bug/bus hubcap clips might work. Wolfsburg West makes nice reproductions for around $35 shipped.
Posted via Mobile Device
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote