The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2018, 09:47 AM   #1
McGeesCustomMinis

72 402 Green Machine

I figured it was time to start a build thread. I have always been a wagon guy, have had a bunch of weird ones over the years, 76 Mini Clubman Estate, 70 Trabant (2 Stoke from Germany my wife grew up with), Ford Flex, Astro Vans, etc. So wife finally told me to get another wagon for the expanding family... expecting our 3rd child (and last), she had no idea how big it would be. Mind you I own a company restoring/modifying Classic Mini Coopers.

So after missing out on 2 other Suburbans, 350's with 700r4 trans, I pulled the trigger on this one cause it had everything I wanted. So its a 1972 402 Big Block with 400 trans, factory posi with 3.08 gears. Factory tinted glass, tilt, power steering, factory tow hitch, and most importantly... not functioning front and rear AC.

So the Burb arrived last October and I have been slowly chipping away at it. It came with small block 3" drop springs that were sagging badly. So first order of business was redoing all of the suspension and brakes. The goal was to make it a semi-daily driver. So I put 2" bb drop springs, 2.5" drop spindles, 4" HD rear springs, small c-notch, new front discs, pads, ball joints, etc. I learned the hard way about a heavy 1/2 ton, didn't know anything about it, so most my parts didn't fit, and had to redo all of it.

I added a radio, dash speaker, thinking that was going to be enough, then ended up adding the kick panel speakers as well for now. Re-did the exhaust from the mufflers back cause it was about to fall off. New steering wheel, new alternator, powersteering pump, and a few other parts.

So where I would like to head is get the Holley Sniper EFI setup, already have a intank pump to fit in the stock tank, hidden hitch, put bench seats out of a newer burb with no headrest and put plaid inserts in it. Possibly look at doing a 200r trans, maybe. Swap out the white walls for some Coy c-33 20x8's and 20x10s maybe this summer. I'm fighting not to bag the suburban, but most of my toy cars have had air ride. But I got other hot rods to build and it's not that important right now.

The day she arrived home, right near Halloween.

Sitting on the bump stops...

Next to my 13 Flex

Next to my 13 Flex

Last edited by McGeesCustomMinis; 03-13-2018 at 10:13 AM.
McGeesCustomMinis is offline   Reply With Quote