The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2005, 10:25 PM   #1
50crimm

Aftermarket body parts- what do you think??

The '50 3100 has a good cab and front clip but the bed is in bad shape. I was just wondering way kind of experience you all have had with aftermarket rear fenders, bed sides, front panels and tailgates. Do they fit well?? Would I be better off trying to find origional tin??
50crimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 05:36 PM   #2
3100 special
Street Rod Dreamin'

Can't comment on that. I'm on my first project and I just have a few spots that I can fix myself.
hopefully some one comes back with some infor for you.

Oh!....and welcome to the board! Post some pics of your poject when you get a chance!
"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, November 1776

Last edited by 3100 special; 08-20-2005 at 05:37 PM.
3100 special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 12:00 AM   #3
fleetside72

Thumbs up aftermarket parts

in my opinion,,get Genuine GM parts(n.o.s)you dont want cheap aftermarket parts..they are cheaply made thinner metal..and the holes dont line up..find a good old box...take it from a guy who had a 77 chevy with aftermarket parts,,they are cheaply made..and awfully tinny...
fleetside72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 10:19 AM   #4
Hart_Rod

I've bought two complete aftermarket beds (MAR-K) and fenders (CCG) and have had no problem with either. I would recommend both.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=166465

Rob
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 01:09 PM   #5
horvath

From what I've seen and experienced, anything aftermarket is way, way inferior to original parts!
Old 08-22-2005, 07:55 AM   #6
MOTHERTRUCKERS

The 47-55 parts in our catalog are better than oem in my opinion, we have built a 53 from the ground up using all aftermarket parts and are starting a 54 when i get a good frame to work from. I have heard stories about 73 and up junk but we don't do anything newer than 72 in my shop.

Last edited by MOTHERTRUCKERS; 08-22-2005 at 07:58 AM.
MOTHERTRUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:43 AM   #7
solidaxel

Mothertrucker, with all the after market parts on your 53 with NO labor what was the list price of all the components you used, just for comparsion!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:57 AM   #8
MAR-Ktech
Truck Parts Mfg.

Aftermarket bed parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50crimm
The '50 3100 has a good cab and front clip but the bed is in bad shape. I was just wondering way kind of experience you all have had with aftermarket rear fenders, bed sides, front panels and tailgates. Do they fit well?? Would I be better off trying to find origional tin??
Folks, I need to rant a little here but it is on topic.

Aftermarket parts! Where do I begin. Its what we do, and have done for 30+years. We manufacture sheet metal bed parts for old trucks, and by manufacture I mean Mar-K people make them, in our shop, with our equipment, with metal we specify and purchase. We test assemble all parts, and when someone lets us know we missed the mark, we change something to make the parts better. Parts are packaged in special designed reinforced boxes. Custom variations of stock parts can be made since we manufacture the parts in or shop. We employ young (and some not so young)gearheads that know about and appreciate what is involved in customizing and restoring vehicles. We are proud of our quality and continually look for ways to improve the product.

All aftermarket parts are not the same. Be aware that there are many manufacturers of parts, probably some junk made in America and maybe some good import parts. Typically, import parts are not packaged well at all, they may be made of wrong thickness metal, and the fit is sometimes not right. There are three general problem areas with the import parts, freight damage, sloppy construction, and poor tooling design to begin with. Import parts are often damaged from shipping them through the distribution system with zero packing support in the box, there is nearly always at least one really bad weld, and even when you fix those, the parts don't fit that well. China made parts are made by someone in who knows where that maybe has never seen a pickup, let alone assembled a bed to verify fit. Parts may or may not have bolt holes, they may or may not be in the right places, Importers send a sample of parts to be made to their Asian contacts and look for the cheapest price, then start importing the parts and flooding the market with cheap parts. The winners are the importer and the body shops that have to repair the damage and poor quality parts to make them fit. The importer knows that most customers will only purchase one bed in their life and they don't need to worry about unhappy customers.

You are doing it right, by checking out suppliers and sources with experienced users, this board. Make your buying decision based on quality and value, not on price only. American made bed parts for your truck are readily available and of superior quality. Use import parts where that is your only option, and work with a supplier who will allow you to inspect and dry fit the parts before purchasing. Avoid shipping them anywhere because they are fragile and typically are not packed well to withstand truck freight handling. Original bed parts in usable condition are hard to find for a 55 year old truck, and there are some really good aftermarket parts, including Mar-K products. Take the advice of those on this board that have been there done that with a truck like yours.

Mar-Ktech
Old 08-23-2005, 07:06 AM   #9
MOTHERTRUCKERS

We have used and sold MAR-K sheetmetal bed parts and have to admit they are the best quality out there for the price. We even use their stake pockets and rear sill when building our beds because of the quality. We have to order the parts thru another dealer but it seems to work out better that way. The only parts i have seen that i do not use here is the wood kits, don't get me wrong they are nice kits for the money and with proper preparation and care will last a long time. I think the damage in shipping on aftermarket parts we have under control with our 100% money back warranty and the companies we buy from doing their part by boxing them correctly.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:56 AM   #10
MAR-Ktech
Truck Parts Mfg.

Mothertrucker, we appreciate your support and hope we continue to earn it. Have to admit I got a little carried away. The key for people looking for aftermarket sheetmetal is to work with a supplier they trust who will provide the best product and service, and that actually knows and understands what the customer is going through in the rebuilding process. Your company rates very high in those areas.

Mar-Ktech
Old 08-23-2005, 10:25 PM   #11
50crimm

Thanks for all the great info. Have any of you used feberglass rear fenders????
50crimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:44 AM   #12
MOTHERTRUCKERS

We have used fiberglass parts from www.usbody.com on some trucks with great success. The rear 47-55 fenders are heavy duty with a 90 degree rolled wheelwell lip and heavy mounting flange, They are 678.00 a pair in their online catalog and if you order thru us you get a 10% discount on any part in their catalog.

MAR-Ktech The aftermarket parts have come a long way in the 18 years we have been building 47-72 trucks but still has a ways to go, most companies i deal with want feedback from their dealers on fit,quality etc so they can get a better part to the customer. I know you are one of them as i have never had a complaint from a customer on the parts you offer. Like the old saying If you build a better mousetrap you catch more mice, better part=happy customers.

Last edited by MOTHERTRUCKERS; 08-24-2005 at 06:09 AM.
MOTHERTRUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 07:49 PM   #13
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

That was very well written MAR-Ktech. We need more people like you on here....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 01:20 PM   #14
Phat

I have used both MAR-K and Pros pick in canada and like both. Might get shot as i am a dealer for pro LOL
Phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 12:07 PM   #15
MAR-Ktech
Truck Parts Mfg.

Bed sheet metal parts

Thanks for the kind words. Pro Pick makes a good product. The important thing is that the end user will choose the manufacturer/supplier and hopefully it is an educated choice. All parts are not the same. Sometimes it is just a design difference, Pro Pick beds don't look like Mar-K beds even though both are good quality. When the customer can see the the differences, they will make the best choice for their own situation and needs. Dealers do their customers a service by showing them the choices.

Phat: let us know if you are interested in selling Mar-K products.

Mar-Ktech