The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2016, 09:11 PM   #351
69short

Re: Project "Redemption" 68 SWB Fleetside

Sorry to hear about the wheels. That's a bummer for sure. I hope you get it figured out. Is there any possibility that it could be a tire issue?
69short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:19 AM   #352
Bennett68C10

Thanks guys, I was so disgusted yesterday I couldn't even look at the truck let alone work on it! I don't know if it's a tire issue or not, both tire shops said its the wheels and not the tires but I'm no expert so I don't know! I can tell you this, both billet specialties and Newstalgia wheel are lucky they aren't open on Saturdays because I would have been a bit of a lunatic on the phone! I really don't know what I'm going to do now! I guess I'll figure it out tomorrow when I talk to them!

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:54 AM   #353
knomadd

Sorry to hear about that Keith. I remember reading (might be your thread or another...) this is a problem for another wheel company. It seems as though the hoops are supplied by another manufacturer and the wheel companies supply the center and mount them together. That hoop manufacturer would be the problem, from what I see.

If you really want this style of wheel, I'd ask them to re-hoop your wheels and verify a tire can be mounted on all of them before sending them out. If that's not what you want to do, and you'd be just as happy or happier with a different wheel, send them back to BS and get the other wheels.

Just a suggestion as this is probably what I would do, once I was calm enough to call them. GOOD LUCK!

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:17 AM   #354
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
Sorry to hear about that Keith. I remember reading (might be your thread or another...) this is a problem for another wheel company. It seems as though the hoops are supplied by another manufacturer and the wheel companies supply the center and mount them together. That hoop manufacturer would be the problem, from what I see.

If you really want this style of wheel, I'd ask them to re-hoop your wheels and verify a tire can be mounted on all of them before sending them out. If that's not what you want to do, and you'd be just as happy or happier with a different wheel, send them back to BS and get the other wheels.

Just a suggestion as this is probably what I would do, once I was calm enough to call them. GOOD LUCK!
I get what your saying about the manufacturer of the hoops being the problem but the quality control of these companies that are sending out wheels that a tire can't be mounted on is unbelievable. In the end, Billet Specialties shipped me these wheels twice and the second time after they "fixed" them and I still can't get tires to mount on them. It's ridiculous.

66 Suburban

Old 08-01-2016, 08:32 AM   #355
boostedc10

Keith I would be really surprised if it was the tire. I am running the same tires on my 22" intros with no issue at all.

With the money we spend on these aftermarket parts you think their main priority would be quality control, especially as a small business.

Instagram: DRVFSTR

Current Project: Beatrix - 1967 SWB LQ4/78mm Turbo/4L80e/ on bags

Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634691
boostedc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:01 AM   #356
knomadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 View Post
I get what your saying about the manufacturer of the hoops being the problem but the quality control of these companies that are sending out wheels that a tire can't be mounted on is unbelievable. In the end, Billet Specialties shipped me these wheels twice and the second time after they "fixed" them and I still can't get tires to mount on them. It's ridiculous.
I completely agree. I guess I'm just trying to point out that this might be a problem with another wheel manufacturer you might go with. More of a word of caution I guess. I'm sure you'll get it sorted out one way or another.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:16 AM   #357
original-71
///Relaxed Atmosphere

that sucks brother id be pissed also... maybe like mentioned send the wheels and tires to billet specialties and have them mount them for you especially since this is the second time. that's a lot of money for it to be wrong twice

87-Silverado Static Drop 5/7" Raceline Explosion 5 22X8.5 (F) 22X10 (R)
hector
2012 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
original-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:46 AM   #358
boostedc10

I would rather have them fixed and know I could mount the tires then take a chance of them cramming them on, messing them up, then getting stuck somewhere with a flat I cant fix. I'm with Keith on this one, I would be done with them as a company and find another one to do business with!

Old 08-01-2016, 03:30 PM   #359
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

I had a very similar problem with a set of 10" wide 20" Eagle 225's. The tire shop had to mount them from the back side, and soap the crap out of the barrel and the tire. Once the tire was on the rim, it went into a safety cage to get the bead to seat. It took more than the normal pressure to seat them and when they did the WHOLE shop new it....

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:23 PM   #360
SCOTI

I would not send the wheels/tires back to let BS mount them. What about future replacement or repairs? If quality, local places can't mount the tires, the wheels need to be fixed (replaced}.

To me, the barrel itself looks odd. The tire gets stretched to slip over the lip of the barrel but then the barrel doesn't drop down much @ all in diameter toward the center.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:10 PM   #361
ajgriffin

Great point about future repairs, but the alternatives are to either get new wheels or continue the back and forth with BS. If BS is willing to accept the wheels/tires and certify (in writing) that any local place can mount tires all should be well with the world.

If they won't....thank them for their time, write a detailed review online and get some new wheels.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:46 AM   #362
Bennett68C10

Update on the wheels, after some back and forth, the wheels are going back to Newstalgia Wheel. Billet Specialties wants me to send both the wheels and the tires to Newstalgia Wheel to see if they can mount them. I said no to that! They can have these junk wheels back and try to mount tires of the same diameter on them.

SCOTI and Brandon are right, I want to know that if needed, I can mount new tires on these wheels without any issue. I can't be sending my wheels to them every time I need new tires. I also told them that the only way I would take these wheels back is if they re hooped them with new barrels. I don't feel comfortable riding around on wheels that possibly the integrity of the wheel has been compromised because they keep cutting on the barrel.

I stated that I want my money back and of course they are dancing around that saying they just want to make sure I have wheels for my truck and that I'm happy which is a joke at this point. They even wanted to know if the tire shops were lubing both the wheels and the tires. Which I took as a slap in the face. Of course they did that, I was standing right there along with trying to help push the tires on the wheels with 2 of the workers and the tire machines

66 Suburban

Last edited by Bennett68C10; 08-02-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:47 PM   #363
jmking9

I really love those Heritage G wheels. But I agree, I would be fed up at this point. This may be dumb, but wouldn't a simple diameter measurement tell them if it was the wheel, or the tire that is the problem?? Anyway, keep your head up, it will work out. Your truck is going to be amazing with any wheel.

Last edited by jmking9; 08-02-2016 at 04:56 PM.
jmking9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:22 AM   #364
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking9 View Post
I really love those Heritage G wheels. But I agree, I would be fed up at this point. This may be dumb, but wouldn't a simple diameter measurement tell them if it was the wheel, or the tire that is the problem?? Anyway, keep your head up, it will work out. Your truck is going to be amazing with any wheel.
Thanks, I've been a little down on the build since this problem with the wheels has come up! They should have the wheels back today so hopefully I know something soon. But your right, you would think they would have measured the barrels especially the second time after they "fixed" them! I measured my tires and they are all exactly 22" on the inside of the mounting surface.

66 Suburban

Old 08-04-2016, 10:28 AM   #365
Bennett68C10

I've been so wrapped up with the wheels that I haven't updated that I got the motor mount issue resolved on the Choppin Block front kit. Travis at AZProPerformance was on top of things and had new motor mounts and inner frame stiffeners to me within 2 days! This corrected the angle of the engine so now I sit at exactly 5 degrees down. The customer service Travis supplies is amazing, he even reached out to me and tried to assist me with my wheel problem, giving me some advice on what he has seen on some of these wheels! I really appreciated that especially since I didn't even purchase the wheels from him!
Attached Images

66 Suburban

Old 08-04-2016, 11:07 AM   #366
Woodnears

Agreed Travis and his crew at Pro Performance are pretty impeccable. Nice looking build you have here, I have been following along.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:22 PM   #367
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
I've been so wrapped up with the wheels that I haven't updated that I got the motor mount issue resolved on the Choppin Block front kit. Travis at AZProPerformance was on top of things and had new motor mounts and inner frame stiffeners to me within 2 days! This corrected the angle of the engine so now I sit at exactly 5 degrees down. The customer service Travis supplies is amazing, he even reached out to me and tried to assist me with my wheel problem, giving me some advice on what he has seen on some of these wheels! I really appreciated that especially since I didn't even purchase the wheels from him!
Such a bummer reading the BS about the wheels man. I hope I never have to deal with something like that. Hopefully, Billet Specialties will do right by you and give you a full refund or rehoop them like you want.

The suspension looks great! Keep your head up, you don't "need" the wheels until you're ready to cruise anyway.....You know you'll change your mind about them before you're ready to drive it....
Get some rollers and press on.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:57 PM   #368
jeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Such a bummer reading the BS about the wheels man. I hope I never have to deal with something like that. Hopefully, Billet Specialties will do right by you and give you a full refund or rehoop them like you want.

The suspension looks great! Keep your head up, you don't "need" the wheels until you're ready to cruise anyway.....You know you'll change your mind about them before you're ready to drive it....
Get some rollers and press on.
^^^Hey Keith, Mike said it, not me this time^^^
'13 Ford RAPTOR 6.2

MY BUILD THREAD http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=612623
jeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:11 PM   #369
rincones

I agree that's Bul*****t. They have to make it right.
The guy that installed my tires took about 1.5 hrs and they sat for 2 yrs. When I was ready to install I had changed my mind on the style but your style of wheel will always be good.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:23 AM   #370
Bennett68C10

Well guys I received a full refund back yesterday from Billet Specialties and Newstalgia Wheel. Newstalgia wheel could only get a tire on one of the 4 wheels. They took measurements of the barrels and they were still way to large to ever get a tire on. Billet Specialties wanted me to let them rehoop the wheels with new barrels but I said no, I wanted my money back. I told them that they should have rehooped the wheels the first time they went back to be "fixed". Instead they took the easy way out and sent me wheels for a second time that I couldn't do anything with.

So I'm done with Billet Specialties and maybe billets in general after reading about the problems others are having with the 22" hoops on Intros, Racelines and Schott. I could go back down to 20's, but then I would have to sell my tires too I don't know what I'm going to do at this point, this whole situation kind of took the wind out of my sails.

I will say this, Newstalgia wheel is a stand up company as they worked hard to resolve the issue and dealt with me for a month not exactly being the nicest person. I wouldn't hesitate ordering from them in the future.

66 Suburban

Old 08-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #371
MMcMasters

That's disheartening man but don't let it kill your motivation. The truck is going to be bad ass when your done!

70 Med Olive build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=714804

Instagram- protouring66
MMcMasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:47 PM   #372
shores6

Quote:
This is how tight it is from the trans to the inner frame stiffener.
I ran into this same problem. It was a pain for tight of a fit it was with 4l80. I ended up buying new speed sensors and rotating the back one where I could plug the harness into it.
Attached Images

Project: Boosted Blucille. '70 C10 SWB PB Fab, LS2 S480 - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=700419
shores6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:52 AM   #373
boostedc10

Keith this must be something recent with the barrel supplier. I had no issues at all with my 22 inch Intros. Maybe its because I got them through Travis though

Old 08-12-2016, 10:23 AM   #374
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMcMasters View Post
That's disheartening man but don't let it kill your motivation. The truck is going to be bad ass when your done!
Thanks Mike, stick with 20's if your still looking at billet specialties. I'll get you that measurement you asked for on the rear this weekend. With all the drama on the wheels, I forgot to get it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shores6 View Post
I ran into this same problem. It was a pain for tight of a fit it was with 4l80. I ended up buying new speed sensors and rotating the back one where I could plug the harness into it.
Thanks for the pic Todd, I'll probably end up doing the same thing. The new motor mounts did solve most of my problems though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedc10 View Post
Keith this must be something recent with the barrel supplier. I had no issues at all with my 22 inch Intros. Maybe its because I got them through Travis though
You did get lucky, or I am just really unlucky Travis doesn't carry Intro anymore, they were having some problems also so he stopped carrying them. I got my Intro Retros on my last 68 from Travis and didn't have any problems either. But they were 20's.

66 Suburban

Old 08-13-2016, 04:52 AM   #375
Raguemoe

My wheels should be here next week & I'll have the tires mounted asap. I'll report back to let you know if the problem has been resolved!
Raguemoe is offline   Reply With Quote