The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2024, 07:06 PM   #1
72Mountaineer

Steering linkage question

Working on the steering of my project '64 C10. It has a GM power steering box, typical 70s-80s outside of frame, with a mounting adapter plate (the 3-bolt type), I'm assuming the box's original pittman arm and 64 center link, spindles and a-arms. The tie rods I purchased (for a 64) don't work. With the steering box/wheel adjusted centered, right wheel can be adjusted tie rod-wise (though the rods are adjusted WAY out), and the left wheel can't be adjusted (rods are all the way in). I read a post by Capt.Fab saying he uses 73-87 steering components on his setups. I'm assuming he means the tie rods, center link and idler arm. Is that what you use with the GM PS boxes, with everything else stock for the year?

Last edited by 72Mountaineer; 03-24-2024 at 11:12 AM. Reason: original was confusing, no replies
72Mountaineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 12:02 PM   #2
theastronaut

Re: Does it fit?

My friend Jay made this how-to for power steering that shows how to get the center link and tie rods centered.

https://lugnutz65chevystepside.weebl...-steering.html
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 12:34 PM   #3
SpudWrench

I used all 73-87 on my swap. But your issue seems a little odd. Is this on a fresh build?

Id double check your center link isn't flipped as well as control arms. Sounds silly but it happens.

-Shia LaBeouf
SpudWrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 12:39 PM   #4
Accelo

"Id double check your center link isn't flipped as well as control arms. Sounds silly but it happens."

Nuts go on from the front of the truck on the center link.
I did it, seems the logical way it would work during the assembly. Then had the alignment done twice. Alignment shop didn't catch it, they even drove it!
Guys on the board sent me in the correct direction. Third alignment was a keeper.

Note;
If it's reversed the truck will easily push straight, but as soon as you turn it will be like the brakes are applied.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 12:40 PM   #5
theastronaut

Not 100% sure, but I believe using 73-87 components need to have the idle arm relocated to match the longer 73-87 pitman arm?
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 08:27 PM   #6
72Mountaineer

Not a fresh build, but a project I acquired a while ago. The center link is correct, with the tie rod nuts on the outside. I purchased a steering box mounting plate from Capt. Fab, as I think this is the root of the problem. I watched a few Youtube vids and realized the location of my steering box is way (about 1 1/2") forward, which should make my tierods in a much better location. Thanks for the replies.
72Mountaineer is online now   Reply With Quote