The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #76
D.FENS

Re: She won't fire up. Please help me! I"m at a complete loss!

You swapped out ECU's for one from a 2011 model, correct?

Is the new MAP sensor for the same year? There may be a different value between the different model years. Like the ECU is looking for X volts and the MAP is showing Y.
D.FENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #77
Hart_Rod

Any updates?
Posted via Mobile Device
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #78
jorgensensc

Hey all! Sorry for the delay. Had another baby on the 16th. Then momma had to go back to the hospital for a week, so things have been pretty crazy. She is out now and things are looking good.
As for the suburban, I'm still having a little issue. I put a new AC delco map sensor in, new spark plugs and wires, and changed out one coil that was broken where the spark plug goes in. Then I was getting the MAF p0102 and the IAT p0113 codes. I put a new MAF in and made sure the contacts were all connecting. Things were working great! I was stoked. No codes, no errors, no misfires. Then while on the freeway I really got on it. She shut down on me. Limp mode. No pedal response. I got a wierd code, p1380 misfire rough road, and p1381 misfire detected no communication with brake module. I also got p0606 control module performance and p0300 misfire detected. I cleared them and drove it. Now I keep getting p0606 and p0300 even when i clear the codes. I even disconnected the battery for a day and immediately got the codes when I turned the ignition on. Not even running and I get the codes. It seems to drive ok, not as powerful as it was before. But goes out on me when I'm really on the gas. If I drive it nice and easy then no problems, but I want to be able to really get after it sometimes, but when I do it craps out on me. Do you think it's in the tune? The guy that did the tune says that he transferred all of the tables in from a stock '08 escalade into the ECM. Then he tweaked like he normally would.
I am really frustrated. If I would have just had the '08 tranny like was supposed to be I don't think I would have half of these problems. The 2011 ECM was for a 4.8 engine, at least that is wat the scantool says. He had to change a bunch of tables that were way way off. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Shawn
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #79
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

Was he able to verify the tune after installing? I only ask as I've heard of tuners transferring the file twice sometimes....just to be sure?

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #80
jorgensensc

I have no idea. I don't even know that I understand wat that means or how to ask him about it. Can you elaborate a little bit? I know I've been to see him twice now. Once for the first tune. The second time to correct the limp mode that always happened when I went WOT for more than 4 seconds. Now I just holimp mode sometimes at WOT. Not all the time. And generally it's when I've been running a lot longer than 4 seconds, more about 15-20 seconds or so, sometimes less though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 09-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #81
68GMCCustom

The "tune" the way I am familiar with consists of a laptop interfacing with your ecm/tcm to download its info the the pc, and then upload the new file...which may consist of loading everything (complete programming) or just new tune parameters.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy

Old 09-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #82
jorgensensc

I think the problem with uploading the parameters for the escalade is that the operating system for the '08 is different than the operating system for the '11. Since we are using a '11 ECM (due to '11transmission) he was having to manually enter all of the tables in (cut and paste) the ECM. I am wondering if he missed something. Do you think I could just upload a '11 escalade program, and adjust that accordingly? My engine is not flex fuel like the '11 are, so I know some things like injectors will need to be changed, but it might be a cleaner way to start vs changing tables on the 4.8 tables that are already on the ECM. Thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 09-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #83
68GMCCustom

Based on the trouble I had with a stand alone '09 designed harness on an '09 LY6 and for whatever reason used '07 Silverado VIN for programming...which found that the two's wiring diagrams are not the same.

As long as there are no harness issues I'd guess that modifying the '08 4.8 tune would be less desirable then starting with a '11 programmed ecm. They have to have a valid VIN I think too? as far as codes...I know a lot of that has been disabled on mine so that no weird error codes pop up.

I'm a firm believer of being able to see whats going on. Originally I used only my Aeroforce Interceptor scan gauge to monitor things, clear codes. Then I got HPTuners (comes with a scanner program as well as the editor) and WOW....there's a lot going on in there! I run scans...send to my tuner...and he sends me a new file to load via email. Couldn't be easier. I've "read" the tune on my TBSS also...but have not modified it yet.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #84
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

^^^just dont be the guy driving around staring at his VE tables

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #85
Custom 68

I would think as part of the tune it would be having him hook up his laptop and giving you a street type tune. That would be you driving and him watching the tables on his scanner. he would record everything while you are driving then analyzing it and redoing what tables need redone.
I did my own tuning (03 motor so it is different) but there was lots of logging involved for me. But I am also not stock.
good luck
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #86
Hart_Rod

What parameters are you pulling from the CAN BUS besides engine temp, tach and speedo? Do you have a list of what all is available?
Old 09-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #87
jorgensensc

Thanks for the replies everyone. I would love to get hptuners, but unfortunately I would also need to get a different laptop since it won't work on my MacBook Pro. All that added up is more than I can afford right now.
As for the street tune, he did the drive around thing the first time we tuned it. And to be fair the second time I went to see him he was heading to a Dr appointment and didn't have but about 20 min. He was just trying to get it to stop dying everytime I went 3/4 to WOT. He succeeded in doing that, now it just does it occasionally, haha! I really need to find time to get back out to him (he is about 45 min away) but with the new baby I haven't had much time to get away.
Here they are. I have to be honest, I don't know what half of them are for or do, nor wat the values should look like.

Tool
Display
Unit
ACC Pedal D
%
ACC Pedal E
%
ACC Pedal F
%
Air Status
-
Ambient
*C / *F
Aux Input Status
-
BARO
kPa / inHg
Calc LOAD
%
CAT Temp 11
*C / *F
Command EGR
%
Command EVAP
%
Command TAC
%
Dist DTC Clr
km / mile
Dist MIL ON
km / miles
ECT
*C / *F
ECU Volts
V
EGR Error
%
Eng RPM
min
EQ Ratio
-
EVAP Press
Pa / in H2O
FP / Vac
kPa / PSI
Fuel Level
%
Fuel Press
kPa / PSI
Fuel Sys 1
-
IAT
*C / *F
LOAD Value
%
LTFT B1
%
LTFT B2
%
MAF
g/s ; lb/min
MAP
kPa / PSI

MIL On Time
Monitor Status
O2S B1 S1
O2S B1 S1 mA mA
O2S B1 S1 V
O2S B1 S2
O2S B1 S2 mA mA
O2S B1 S2 V
O2S B2 S1
O2S B2 S1 mA mA
O2S B2 S1 V
O2S B2 S2
O2S B2 S2 mA mA
O2S B2 S2 V
O2S Location
OBD Support
-
PTO Status
-
Rel TPS
%
Spark Adv
deg
STFT B1
%
STFT B1 S1
%
STFT B1 S2
%
STFT B2
%
STFT B2 S1
%
STFT B2 S2
%
Time DTC Clr
hrs, min
Time Since Start
sec
TPS
%
TPS B
%
TPS C
%
Veh Speed
km/h / mph
Warm-up DTC Clr

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by jorgensensc; 09-09-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #88
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgensensc View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I would love to get hptuners, but unfortunately I would also need to get a different laptop since it won't work on my MacBook Pro. All that added up is more than I can afford right now.
As for the street tune, he did the drive around thing the first time we tuned it. And to be fair the second time I went to see him he was heading to a Dr appointment and didn't have but about 20 min. He was just trying to get it to stop dying everytime I went 3/4 to WOT. He succeeded in doing that, now it just does it occasionally, haha! I really need to find time to get back out to him (he is about 45 min away) but with the new baby I haven't had much time to get away.
Here they are. I have to be honest, I don't know what half of them are for or do, nor wat the values should look like.

Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks. I guess I should be more specific, can you get engine oil pressure, tranny temp, gear position, and engine oil temp? I would like to use an add on module from Dakota digital to display those parameters.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #89
Special-Ed

Quote:
]

Why dont you get a copy of XP-Pro and put it on that MacBook...

ive been running xp-pro on my mac book for years...

i can boot into mac os or xp at start up...

and depending on what you need tripp lite sells an amazing usb to rs 232 adapter(db9)

i have not found an application made for windows that i can't run on my mac...

just an option.

Last edited by Special-Ed; 09-09-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Special-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #90
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

^^not sure if it applies to HPT or not, but certain older programs that used COM ports (mostly pre-xp) do NOT ever like to work on the emulators/shells. There are a number of programs for things like older DDC type controls that use the COM or Serial and cannot work with the USB-COM adapters.

The only reason I bring it up is that since HPT uses the interface-box thingy, I'm not sure if it would run into an issue with the "Modded" platform.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #91
Special-Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
^^not sure if it applies to HPT or not, but certain older programs that used COM ports (mostly pre-xp) do NOT ever like to work on the emulators/shells. There are a number of programs for things like older DDC type controls that use the COM or Serial and cannot work with the USB-COM adapters.

The only reason I bring it up is that since HPT uses the interface-box thingy, I'm not sure if it would run into an issue with the "Modded" platform.
its not an emulator or shell... its straight up xp pro or 7 or 8 on the mac.

i know that i can program anything that is windows capable software via usb/db9 dongle, amx, crestron, ada, control 4, lutron, pick your ksu/pbx, cisco, aruba

you would be correct with most usb db9 dongles... but the one from tripp lite runs perfectly... it takes that usb serial data and makes it, it's beotch

i have even programmed older stuff that was windows 95 compatible.

i will contact hptuners and figure it out.... i run only macs. with xp or 7
Old 09-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #92
jorgensensc

Hart,
Sorry I didn't understand the question. When I figured out wat I wanted to use on my Speedhut canbus gauges I just looked at what gauges the escalade had. Since the gauges and DIC is all sent via canbus, I just went off of that. So, for mine I used the oil pressure, fuel level (this may be vehicle specific as some vehicles go through the BCM to the fuel gauge, mine goes straight to the ECM, then changed over to the can bus signal), tranny temp, engine coolant, and voltage. I could have done the speedo and tach, however they didn't make the speedo and tach gauges in can bus in the right size for me. They made them in can bus in smaller gauges. Hope that explains a little more.
Shawn
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 09-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #93
68GMCCustom

HPTuners interface (or the one I have) for the little box is USB... not DB9

Old 09-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #94
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Hart,
Sorry I didn't understand the question. When I figured out wat I wanted to use on my Speedhut canbus gauges I just looked at what gauges the escalade had. Since the gauges and DIC is all sent via canbus, I just went off of that. So, for mine I used the oil pressure, fuel level (this may be vehicle specific as some vehicles go through the BCM to the fuel gauge, mine goes straight to the ECM, then changed over to the can bus signal), tranny temp, engine coolant, and voltage. I could have done the speedo and tach, however they didn't make the speedo and tach gauges in can bus in the right size for me. They made them in can bus in smaller gauges. Hope that explains a little more.
Shawn
Posted via Mobile Device

No worries Shawn. I wasn't very clear in my original post . I hadn't planned on using the CANBUS feature of the Dakota Digital gauges until I started doing some research on it. Now I want to use all of the features I can .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #95
Hart_Rod

Updates?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #96
jorgensensc

No updates yet Rob. Been driving it daily. Still having issues with going into limp mode at WOT. I really need to get the tune looked at, but the guy wants another 50.00. I'm frustrated because he said when I went to him there is no charge till the job is done. Only additional charges if I mod something. Well I don't feel I should have to pay another 50.00, on top of the 200.00 I already paid since the vehicle isn't running correctly yet. He feels like because it is a mishmash of years of parts and ECM that the extra work involved warrants the extra 50.00. I told him up front there were different year parts, and even agreed to pay the 200.00 (normally he charges 150.00 for simple tunes) because if the possible difficulty in tuning. I would normally hold him hardcore to it, but I don't want him messing around with my tune if we are in a dispute over money. I was considering getting hptuners, but that is going to cost a small fortune once you factor in all the stuff. Looks like I may have to wait to get together the 500.00 for a dyno tune. Unfortunately I really don't have the money right now for that. So we are on standby.
Shawn
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 09-24-2013, 12:05 AM   #97
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Shawn, please stop daily driving a truck with tune problems before you break something even more expensive.

Your tuner sounds like a prick, and moreover he sounds like he doesn't know what he is doing. I say call him and tell him that he needs to fix it like he said he would, or your business with him is through. Call your credit card company and say that the services he rendered were not as promised and never completed. If you want, complain to the BBB (though usually for hot-rod shops this doesn't matter). Take it somewhere else.

If you have the ablility to get some logs or a copy of the files I can try to have my locals take a look at the #'s and see if anything sticks out as an issue.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:29 AM   #98
jorgensensc

Thanks for the help brew. I'll see if I can get the copy for you. I would love to sideline the burb, but again it's my driver. I've just been taking it easy with it taking side streets everywhere. Going about 30-35 mph. Unfortunately he is not associated with a shop. I thought I vetted him pretty god, asked a lot of questions, checked out some of his other work, etc. I think the problem is that he is use to working on stock vehicles that just need minor tuning, or adding turbos. I think this may be out of his scope of knowledge and he may not have knew that/understood that. Unfortunately I paid with cash so no recourse there. At this point I just really do not want him in the computer anymore. The last thing I need is for him to Sabotage my daily driver over 50.00. I'll see if I can get a copy of the tune for you, thanks again!
Shawn
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 09-24-2013, 12:32 AM   #99
jorgensensc

I did see that in my scanner my LTFT Tables are at around -18 at WOT, which I understand to be incorrect for most applications, but I'm not really well versed enough to know that for a fact.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 09-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #100
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

At WOT the LTFT should be pretty much 0, as those tables are no longer really being used (fuel cell 22 ltft). Usually a big negative number means your leaking at idle, and -18 would be a decent leak imo. It can also translate to running HELLA rich. I would take a look at the MAF, vacuum leaks etc. If that LTFT number is taking big jumps, then we have something else to look at.