The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Hart_Rod

Question Trouble codes

Just got my tuned computer from Speartech. I plugged it in and turned the key on, but didn't try to start it. I hooked up the scanner and it said the computer is a 2012, my engine and tranny are a 2013. Also, 4 hard codes popped up:

P0122
P0223
P0315
P2122

Will the year difference be a problem? Should I worry about trying starting it with those codes?
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Trouble codes

Wow....just wow....this is the third Pedal response failure thread. I need to start running a national B!tchslap your Tuner campaign.

The first two codes are Pedal Failure/Tb Failure or low circuit voltage. Basically, the tb and pedal aren't communicating with the ecm (since the TAC functions became integral to the ecm).

Third one is that it isn't reading the crank sensor or its out of phase. This one should get solved by a CASE learn, or in some cases just a few starts until it can phase the crank and cam sensors (did you pull the vvt off or no?)

Fourth one is reduced engine power. This is a tricky bastardo but usually is a symptom not a cause. It usually pops up when there is a random low idle (i.e. stalls itself out), or when there is a random electrical failure or spike.

If you clear the codes and try to start, no harm will be done. It MIGHT not want to start with the crank sensor problem tho. The other problems are ancillary, and the engine should be able to idle without input from the pedal.

Considering that you got ALL the codes for the dbw system at the same time AND a crank sensor fail....I would say the mismatch in the ecm is causing some confusion. It would be strange for them to all fail at once barring getting struck by lightening.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

http://www.ls2.com/boggs/dtcs/DTC%20P2122.htm

I was gonna copy the whole thing but the links don't work when I steal it.

This is the "book" procedure on 2122, but I'm pretty sure the other DTC's are on the site as well.
I don't know if it will actually help, as the above info takes into account a factory flash on a stock GM vehicle...

Old 10-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
Hart_Rod

The TB activates fully when the pedal is depressed. The computer was tested on another vehicle before being sent to me. I sent John an email and am waiting on a response.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
jorgensensc

Reverify pin out on the pedal to the ECM, to the throttle. I was getting similar codes initially, had to repin my pedal, MAF and map sensors. The wiring harness was wired backwards. Wasn't too hard, just had to switch a couple of pins around.

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgensensc View Post
Reverify pin out on the pedal to the ECM, to the throttle. I was getting similar codes initially, had to repin my pedal, MAF and map sensors. The wiring harness was wired backwards. Wasn't too hard, just had to switch a couple of pins around.
Was your throttle plate moving when you pushed the pedal? Mine does.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
jorgensensc

You know, I didn't check that at all. I just rechecked the pins and they were wrong. Didn't you use the pedal off of a c5 corvette? Maybe the voltage sweep is different for some reason? I'm completely guessing here, just brainstorming. I think one brush goes in ascending voltage and the other in descending, or something like that. Make sure your pedal operates the same as the camaro one does.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
The TB activates fully when the pedal is depressed. The computer was tested on another vehicle before being sent to me. I sent John an email and am waiting on a response.
ONLY fully, or does it modulate with input? Mismatched parts can still power up, and sometimes even pass the startup check, but the first time you modulate the throttle it can go wide open then close, and stay closed.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
ONLY fully, or does it modulate with input? Mismatched parts can still power up, and sometimes even pass the startup check, but the first time you modulate the throttle it can go wide open then close, and stay closed.
It changes the throttle blade position based on pedal position input. I talked to Speartech about the 315 code and he said he deleted that out. Kinda strange as two different code readers showed it as a permanent code and would not clear it (or the pedal codes). On a different topic, what software will I need to flash the TCM to a corvette tune so I can use my paddle shifters?
Old 10-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #10
jorgensensc

Rob,
Take my word for it. Take it to a dyno to get tuned. You will be better off in the long run.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #11
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Rob,
Take my word for it. Take it to a dyno to get tuned. You will be better off in the long run.
I am, but I've got to be able to drive it there .
Old 10-22-2013, 07:04 AM   #12
smoky02

What kind of reader are you using to clear the codes? I have two, one that I bought from Advanced(little orange one), and one that my wife bought me from amazon(a cheapy). Oddly enough the cheapy that she bought will clear all codes no matter what they are and the orange one will not clear them. But more than likely you are getting the throttle code because at some point connectivity has been lost between your throttle and the pcm at some point.

Looking for a 1972 Blazer to hopefully fill the hole in my heart.
smoky02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #13
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky02 View Post
What kind of reader are you using to clear the codes? I have two, one that I bought from Advanced(little orange one), and one that my wife bought me from amazon(a cheapy). Oddly enough the cheapy that she bought will clear all codes no matter what they are and the orange one will not clear them. But more than likely you are getting the throttle code because at some point connectivity has been lost between your throttle and the pcm at some point.
I have one of the orange one from advanced ($250). I still haven't started the engine yet. Do you think they will clear up once I do? The throttle body appears to be working correctley when you press the gas pedal.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

The last two codes should clear on start , unless thrre actually was a crank sensor problem.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #15
Hart_Rod

Quote:
The last two codes should clear on start , unless thrre actually was a crank sensor problem.
Thanks! I need to top off the fluids and then I'm going to try and fire it up. On another note, what all software is required to flash the TCM?
Old 10-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #16
Hart_Rod

I fired it up this evening and it would run for a little while and then die. After I would let it sit for a little while, it would the same thing. What fuel pressure should I have? No check engine light, but the same 4 codes still remain.......it did sound sweet while it was running !
Old 10-23-2013, 01:26 AM   #17
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

58psi.

Did you actually clear the codes, or just read them? Clear them, try again, if its the same four that means its getting the same triggers each time. You might need the CASE relearn to get rid of the crank sensor code.

As for the others, we still got an electrical gremlin or tune gremlin.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #18
Hart_Rod

Quote:
58psi.

Did you actually clear the codes, or just read them? Clear them, try again, if its the same four that means its getting the same triggers each time. You might need the CASE relearn to get rid of the crank sensor code.

As for the others, we still got an electrical gremlin or tune gremlin.
Roger that on the PSI. I tried clearing them, but they wouldn't clear. I do have a question though. In the scanner, it lists these codes as permanent. What exactly does that mean? If the code, was deleted like Speartech said, would it still show up? Also, I think my battery was a little weak, which may have been causing a few problems. I'm goint to give it a good charge and try it again. I also plan on purchasing HPTuners sometime this week after I get my laptop reformatted. Check out the video!

Instagram.com/p/fypJDAQaP9/#

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 10-23-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #19
jorgensensc

Rob,
Interesting question about the permanent thing. Before I went to the dyno I kept getting a reoccurring p0300 misfire code. I would clear it, unplug battery overnight, anything I could think of. It would appear clear, but would show up the minute I turned the key, even without truck started. I tore everything apart looking for it. When I went to the dyno he said the code wasn't present, even though my handheld (innova 3130c) showed it present, and permanent. In the manual it doesn't explain the permanent thing either. I'm curious also. Since the tune I haven't had it occur again. Just the other issue.

Oh, and if it's not too much trouble, would you post your video? I would love to see it but am not as socially advanced as you. I don't have an Instagram or Facebook acct. that is just more stuff to distract me!!

Shawn

Old 10-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #20
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

I had the issue of not knowing what was going on and was using my Aeroforce scanner gauge and a cheap handheld scan tool.While this lets you see some things and clear codes you can't change much, allows for e-fan control and something else.

So...I bought HPTuners...the same program my tuner uses. This allows me to use the scan feature and send it to him, and he sends me back a modified file to install. Makes tunes fairly painless and is teaching me about controlling it myself...for future projects.

I can highly recommend this....regardless of what program is involved...LS1Edit, HPTuners, EFILive, etc. HPTuners wasn't too expensive either (my tuner also sells them and gave me a discount)...around $500? Now GM tech II is a different thing altogether.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #21
jorgensensc

I wish I had the money for hptuners. The bigger obstacle for me is the time needed for the learning curve. I probably would have gone that route if it wasn't my daily driver.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #22
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Rob,
Interesting question about the permanent thing. Before I went to the dyno I kept getting a reoccurring p0300 misfire code. I would clear it, unplug battery overnight, anything I could think of. It would appear clear, but would show up the minute I turned the key, even without truck started. I tore everything apart looking for it. When I went to the dyno he said the code wasn't present, even though my handheld (innova 3130c) showed it present, and permanent. In the manual it doesn't explain the permanent thing either. I'm curious also. Since the tune I haven't had it occur again. Just the other issue.

Oh, and if it's not too much trouble, would you post your video? I would love to see it but am not as socially advanced as you. I don't have an Instagram or Facebook acct. that is just more stuff to distract me!!

Shawn
I need to get HPTuners so I can really see what is going on. My daughter's boyfriend did the instagram thing. I'll try to figure it out so I can post a video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom View Post
I had the issue of not knowing what was going on and was using my Aeroforce scanner gauge and a cheap handheld scan tool.While this lets you see some things and clear codes you can't change much, allows for e-fan control and something else.

So...I bought HPTuners...the same program my tuner uses. This allows me to use the scan feature and send it to him, and he sends me back a modified file to install. Makes tunes fairly painless and is teaching me about controlling it myself...for future projects.

I can highly recommend this....regardless of what program is involved...LS1Edit, HPTuners, EFILive, etc. HPTuners wasn't too expensive either (my tuner also sells them and gave me a discount)...around $500? Now GM tech II is a different thing altogether.
Thanks for the input. I need to get the HPT also. Do you think your tuner would hook me up with the program also?
Old 10-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #23
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

If you guys want HPT I'll still see if I can get them for less than $500. TEchnically you could pirate the software, but without the interface box its pretty much just a toy.

You guys looking for unlimited license or the regular individual license?

Shawn, the learning curve is there but the HPT forums are very helpful. You can get up and around within an afternoon. I still have someone do my dyno tuning for me, but have found that even just learning the software side is useful. If your tuner is cool he won't lock the tune so you can access it.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #24
Hart_Rod

Quote:
If you guys want HPT I'll still see if I can get them for less than $500. TEchnically you could pirate the software, but without the interface box its pretty much just a toy.

You guys looking for unlimited license or the regular individual license?

Shawn, the learning curve is there but the HPT forums are very helpful. You can get up and around within an afternoon. I still have someone do my dyno tuning for me, but have found that even just learning the software side is useful. If your tuner is cool he won't lock the tune so you can access it.
I would like enough credits to do 6.2/6L80 and a 5.3/4L60.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #25
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Thanks for the input. I need to get the HPT also. Do you think your tuner would hook me up with the program also?
I'm not sure he's doing the '12-'13's yet....but may be waiting for a customer that wants a tune and HP Tuners so that they can send him scans and he can send them tunes to load...and would work a combo deal. All you can do is ask. I can't say he's always gotten everything right the 1st time...but has been willing to work with me on everything thats come up and has sent half a dozen files or more to get mine fairly dialed in. W/O putting it on the rack (dyno) its hard to say its "peak" tuned. Just ask for Allen.

http://www.nelsonperformance.com/index.html

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote