The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #51
Hart_Rod

Re: Trouble codes

I'm thinking about purchasing the Greg Banish EFI Tuning videos. Is it worth the money? Does anyone have any experience with them?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sme-dvd-1/overview/
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #52
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

I haven't...just pick up what I can here and there but it certainly couldn't hurt. I know enough that I know NOT to try and tune my own yet.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #53
Custom 68

I do have the disks, they are pricey but you will pickup some good information from them. Is it worth it? that is hard to say but I did learn and feel more confident in what I am doing. I decided I better learn to tune mine was getting harder to get it right with mail order tunes. I was able to take my time and make adjustments in smaller steps till I got it right.
There is tons of info out there and you will pickup most of what you need on the internet www.hptuners.com has a good site and good forum. Plus tons of examples of tunes to sort thru.
Good luck
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #54
Custom 68

I also just helped a buddy get his DBW 6.0 running. He didnt get a pedal assembly when he got the motor, he found one at a yard that was a year or 2 off and it is working. His is still a gen 3 so once you jump to these newer ones it get more complicated.
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Old 10-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #55
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom 68 View Post
I do have the disks, they are pricey but you will pickup some good information from them.
Save us the cost!

Torrents are a wonderful thing.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #56
Custom 68

let me do some digging...
Old 10-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #57
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

IF you need a place to go with them, or you don't want to upload them yourself, I can seed them without an issue.

Anything further move to PM with me until we can get it up....I"m not sure how close this comes to a site TOS violation.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #58
Hart_Rod

I got my HPTuners last night and started playing with it ....man I have lots to learn... I may need another E38 computer. Where is the cheapest place to get one and what is required to make sure I get the correct year and operating system on it?

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 10-29-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #59
68GMCCustom

I thought you'd have something newer....I think mines (for '07-'09) a E38? And I run a TCM 40 I think.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy

Old 10-29-2013, 11:23 PM   #60
jorgensensc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
I got my HPTuners last night and started playing with it ....man I have lots to learn... I may need another E38 computer. Where is the cheapest place to get one and what is required to make sure I get the correct year and operating system on it?
I just picked up my used e38 off eBay for 85.00 shipped. You have to find the one that has the correct service number for your application. Be careful of new ones that don't have any programming in them. You will have to take a new one to chevy to have the programmed. You give them a vin and they program it, for a fee of course. Some dealers act all crazy about it like your trying to steal a car or something. So my understanding is that the best thing to do is get a used one with the correct service number, then buy the access from HPTuners for that VIN. Then download the correct program for your application and write it to the ECM. The VIN won't match your VIN, but that won't matter. At least that is the way I understand stand it.
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:11 AM   #61
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgensensc View Post
I just picked up my used e38 off eBay for 85.00 shipped. You have to find the one that has the correct service number for your application. Be careful of new ones that don't have any programming in them. You will have to take a new one to chevy to have the programmed. You give them a vin and they program it, for a fee of course. Some dealers act all crazy about it like your trying to steal a car or something. So my understanding is that the best thing to do is get a used one with the correct service number, then buy the access from HPTuners for that VIN. Then download the correct program for your application and write it to the ECM. The VIN won't match your VIN, but that won't matter. At least that is the way I understand stand it.
Shawn
Thanks for the info!
Old 10-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #62
Hart_Rod

Did a lot of reading/researching last night. Here's what my plan is on the "tune". Basics first:

Delete:
VATS
rear O2 sensors and DTC's
VVT and associated DTC's
DOD and associated DTC's
Emmission stuff

Next:
Make changes for the 80lb injectors
Try and start and see what codes pop.....

I've ordered a couple of books on tuning basics that should be here soon. Until then, I'm just going to play with stuff that won't get me in trouble, .

I'm thinking about starting another thread that document my process on tuning. Thoughts?
Old 10-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #63
Custom 68

Rob, I think you better get the data for the injectors in on your first tune. That will make a HUGE difference.
Oh never mind you were going to do that before you started it I didn't catch that the first time.
Good luck
Dave
Old 10-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #64
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Rob, I think you better get the data for the injectors in on your first tune. That will make a HUGE difference.
Oh never mind you were going to do that before you started it I didn't catch that the first time.
Good luck
Dave
Thanks Dave. If you have any suggestions, hints or pitfalls to avoid, I would greatly appreciate it. I know me doing this myself will lengthen the time it takes me to get my truck running, but hopefully it will pay off in the long run and will help with my other trucks, .

Here's the data on the injectors or at least what I found online:

http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/sh...?productid=285

"Siemens 80lb High Impedence Injectors, Full Length
with USCAR (ev6) plug

Introducing the new 80 lb/hr high impedance fuel injector from Siemen Deka!

The 80lbs/hr @39.15.psi or 84lbs/hr @ 43.5 EFI fuel injectors function at 11-12 Ohms, These new injectors offer users the increased benefit of an optimal fuel spray pattern once placed following installation inside the vehicle engine. These injectors work exceptionally well with any of the new Ford Mustang engine types, along with many other engine types capable of utilizing MORE POWER!

-No jumper harness performance when operating your EFI vehicle.
-Optimal fuel spray pattern allows engines to utilize MORE POWER!!!
-Allows for naturally aspirated engines to operate at power increases up to 1200 hp! NA (8)
-SIEMENS new injectors offer a high impedance rate of 11-12 Ohms.
-These new Siemens EV6 fuel injectors are compatible with any Ev6 wire harness

Product Specs
Injector Advertised Flow Rate (lbs/hr) 80lb/hr @ 39.15psi - 84lbs./hr. @ 43.5
Injector Advertised Flow Rate (cc/min) 646 cc/min
Injector Impedance 11-18 ohms - High Impedence

Seat to Seat Height 60mm
Manifold O-Ring Outside Diameter 14
Fuel Rail O-Ring Outside Diameter 14

Injector Plug Style uscar (ev6) "
Old 10-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #65
68GMCCustom

Just make sure to "save" your changes each time. You'll wind up with a bunch of files you may never use....but at least you can back track.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #66
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Damn, I never noticed those nozzles were 84@43psi.....that means at our 58psi operating pressure you probably squeak out 90lbs... I can say that you won't be running out of fuel anytime soon lol.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #67
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom View Post
Just make sure to "save" your changes each time. You'll wind up with a bunch of files you may never use....but at least you can back track.
Will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Damn, I never noticed those nozzles were 84@43psi.....that means at our 58psi operating pressure you probably squeak out 90lbs... I can say that you won't be running out of fuel anytime soon lol.
, I guess that's a good thing...
Old 10-31-2013, 01:53 AM   #68
jorgensensc

I second the save thing. My understanding also is that when you make changes you should rewrite all to the ECM, or there is a high possibility that it won't save correctly to the ECM. That is how the VATS didn't get saved the first time by the first tuner. Somehow he didn't rewrite all after he changed the VATS and saved it.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #69
Hart_Rod

Ok, I've been chasing what I thought was an injector setup/tune problem for a couple of weeks now. I can get the truck to start and idle, but will die when you put it in gear. From the first time I got then engine to start and run, I was getting some misfires on the right side (Bank 2) that were causing the short term and long term bank2 fuel trims to go extremely high. I thought it was just a problem with the injector data I had in the tune for the SD80 injectors I have. From everything I've read online, they are a hard injector to get dialed in. So I just assumed that was what my problem was. After much research, I'm pretty confident that I have that part of the tune setup correctly, but I still have the problem on the right side.

So last night I decided to do some trouble shooting to try and eliminate as many possible causes as I could. First, I swapped the O2 sensors from side to side, but no change. Next, I swapped the fuel injectors from the passenger side to the drivers side, still, no change. Finally, I swapped the the coil packs from side to side, but still, no change. The only other thing I can think of is that the the wiring to the coil packs on that right side is messed up. The engine sounds like a couple of plug wires are crossed on that side. It's probably been doing that since the first time I fired it up, but its been hard to detect because of the open headers. I even tried unplugging the individual coil packs on that side to see if you could isolate the miss, but it almost seems random. All of the headers pipes on that side are getting hot, so I know everyone of them are firing. This is very frustrating and I've got to figure this out first before I go any further with the tune. Sorry for venting.

Rob

EDIT: I checked all the pins on the computer to make sure nothing was damaged and they all look fine. Here's a list of trouble codes I have been getting:

[] P0174 - Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2 (Immature)
[] P0300 - Engine Misfire Detected (Old) (Immature)
[] P057C - (SES) (Pending) (Old) (History) (Current) (Immature)
[] P0621 - Generator L-Terminal Circuit (Pending) (History) (Immature)
[] P219A - Fuel Trim Cylinder Balance Bank 1 (Old) (Current) (Immature)
[] P219B - Fuel Trim Cylinder Balance Bank 2 (Old) (Current) (Immature)
[] P2537 - Ignition Switch Accessory Position Circuit Low (Pending) (Old) (History) (Current) (Immature)
[] P057C -

Continuous Tests
Misfire: Complete
Fuel System: Incomplete
Comprehensive Component: Complete

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 11-18-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #70
Custom 68

Rob, I didn't get your package in the mail but will today.
Things got pretty busy for me anyway I dont know how different things will be since you are the newer stuff. If you have not logged anything yet that would be what I would do first. You can check to see if your O2 sensors are cycling correctly. I had a blown fuse and didn't know it for a long time I kept chasing O2 sensors and even my MAF I ended up shutting all that off not knowing what was going on. At some point a month or 2 later I found the fuse and was able to turn the sensors back on otherwise I was running in open loop all the time, my tune was good enough that it didn't matter. I did end up switching to a 2 bar setup and went without my MAF with my turbo.
Moral of the story is to make sure your fuses are all good but also log some data and look it over. You can post over on HP tuners with a log and your tune and will get some good feedback I believe.
Good luck
Old 11-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #71
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Rob, I didn't get your package in the mail but will today.
Things got pretty busy for me anyway I dont know how different things will be since you are the newer stuff. If you have not logged anything yet that would be what I would do first. You can check to see if your O2 sensors are cycling correctly. I had a blown fuse and didn't know it for a long time I kept chasing O2 sensors and even my MAF I ended up shutting all that off not knowing what was going on. At some point a month or 2 later I found the fuse and was able to turn the sensors back on otherwise I was running in open loop all the time, my tune was good enough that it didn't matter. I did end up switching to a 2 bar setup and went without my MAF with my turbo.
Moral of the story is to make sure your fuses are all good but also log some data and look it over. You can post over on HP tuners with a log and your tune and will get some good feedback I believe.
Good luck
No worries, I really appreciate your help. Good advice on the trouble shooting. I'm still in the process of checking the obvious stuff, but I really believe it is something electrical and probably just a couple of wires switched. It runs like there is a crosswire on that side. Hopefully it is something simple...
Old 11-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #72
Hart_Rod

I did a scan of the misfires today and it misfires like crazy on 2/4/8 when I give it the gas. Some on 6, but not much. Nothing NADA on 1/3/5/7. Seems like electrical to me, not sure what else it could be. I guess I need to figure find a wiring diagram and start checking stuff...
Old 11-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #73
clinebarger

'11 Camaro 6.2L Even Coil diagram....
Attached Images

clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #74
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
'11 Camaro 6.2L Even Coil diagram....
Thanks CB. Any thoughts on the possible problem?
Old 11-19-2013, 12:20 AM   #75
jorgensensc

Look at your grounds again. I've read over and over misfires on a bank keep coming up as ground issues.